Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 04:20 PM

892 posts, read 1,488,200 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this with saying I am NOT complaining, nor is this is a "those darn whippersnappers and thier loud noise they call music!!!!" post I am genuinely curious how this was even possible....

So I'm sitting at an intersection waiting to head north. There's a Chevy Suburban heading west, waiting in the turn lane for a minute or two, eventually passing me headed south. While I was waiting, I suddenly feel an intense, low frequency vibration. No noise, just vibration. I felt it throughout the truck. At first I thought something was wrong with my truck, then I looked up and saw things vibrating around me. I seriously thought we were in the middle of an earthquake. It was that intense.

As that Suburban passed me, I realized it was the stereo system in that thing that was causing all this. I've been around loud stereos, and high wattage subwoofer systems most of my life (I'm 39 now). I was one of those whippersnappers with a wall of 15s and thousands of watts of power in my truck. I know what big subs are capable of, but I've never seen sub performance like this before in a mobile environment, where it was nothing but vibration without sounding like the car was going to rattle itself apart, short of a full blown unlimited class car, and those aren't something that's getting driven through town. It also wasn't loud at all either, though I could hear that he was playing some kind of electronic music...just felt vibration.

As someone who is fascinated with how things work, I'm just wondering how this was even possible...I've tons of dynamat in a car before, but even then, things like fenders, license plates, and window glass still tends to rattle. And if not in his truck, certainly I would have heard something in my own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 04:37 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,421,953 times
If a person was into investing, he should buy some stock in a hearing aid company. The day's coming when a lot of people's hearing will be severely damaged, if not gone. It doesn't seem like the younger generations can listen to music without it being turned to full-blast. Not that I consider what you're describing as music, but some seem to consider it as such.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:38 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,664,144 times
All else aside, resonance. Maybe someone in a different vehicle wouldn't feel it quite as strongly, and maybe the exact combination of frequencies and resonance bulked it up.

There is a coming thing in "sirens" that projects a low-frequency rumble that can be felt inside most cars, even those with great sound insulation and a (normal) stereo on. I think it's called the Rumbler.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:36 PM

22,567 posts, read 24,361,065 times
It's acceptable to blast super-amplified noise from a vehicle, no ticketing or any enforcement is
done......so of course things quickly get out of hand.

Give an inch and many Humans will take 10 miles, then some.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:06 PM

6,409 posts, read 6,931,117 times
I felt one last summer in my work truck. It shook my side mirrors and my rear view mirror. My whole interior shook and it was a Suburban was two lanes over at a light. I rarely hear loud stereos anymore, I always had a sub or two in all my vehicles. Now my stock bose system is good enough.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:10 PM

18,770 posts, read 27,196,342 times
There's device called SHAKER. It is not really a speaker, though works similar.
It's low frequency driver bolted directly to the body. Usually, as they are quite small, under the car seats, so you feel it up your....

That could have been just that. Four shakers will vibrate the entire metal box.

https://www.amazon.com/AuraSound-AST.../dp/B0002ZPTBI

Old 02-03-2019, 06:05 PM

4,857 posts, read 5,768,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Let me preface this with saying I am NOT complaining, nor is this is a "those darn whippersnappers and thier loud noise they call music!!!!" post I am genuinely curious how this was even possible....

So I'm sitting at an intersection waiting to head north. There's a Chevy Suburban heading west, waiting in the turn lane for a minute or two, eventually passing me headed south. While I was waiting, I suddenly feel an intense, low frequency vibration. No noise, just vibration. I felt it throughout the truck. At first I thought something was wrong with my truck, then I looked up and saw things vibrating around me. I seriously thought we were in the middle of an earthquake. It was that intense.

As that Suburban passed me, I realized it was the stereo system in that thing that was causing all this. I've been around loud stereos, and high wattage subwoofer systems most of my life (I'm 39 now). I was one of those whippersnappers with a wall of 15s and thousands of watts of power in my truck. I know what big subs are capable of, but I've never seen sub performance like this before in a mobile environment, where it was nothing but vibration without sounding like the car was going to rattle itself apart, short of a full blown unlimited class car, and those aren't something that's getting driven through town. It also wasn't loud at all either, though I could hear that he was playing some kind of electronic music...just felt vibration.

As someone who is fascinated with how things work, I'm just wondering how this was even possible...I've tons of dynamat in a car before, but even then, things like fenders, license plates, and window glass still tends to rattle. And if not in his truck, certainly I would have heard something in my own?
He probably had actual subwoofers, which are low frequency speakers. People tend to call all these types of speakers subwoofers, when most of them aren't subwoofers at all, they're just woofers. Your cheap home entertainment system, the subwoofer is probably a woofer, every bookshelf stereo that you'd see in best buy or walmart; woofers. Those 300+lbs cabinets with 15"+ speakers that flank the stage at a concert... those are actually subwoofers. Actual subwoofers generally work on negative ohms, the lower, the more punch. But... people call subwoofers and woofers, subwoofers. True woofers typically work at frenquencies so low, that you can't hear them as much as you can feel them, they produce sound too low for human ears range, so all you feel as pressure. Those Sony Explods you got at Pep Boys; they make an audible sound and are not true subwoofers.

Last edited by JaxRhapsody; 02-03-2019 at 06:13 PM..

Old 02-03-2019, 06:09 PM

30,146 posts, read 20,868,388 times
Mine do in my bedroom in my A/V system

Old 02-04-2019, 05:23 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,166,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Mine do in my bedroom in my A/V system
I used to have one in my living room that would do that before I moved into my condo.
I had pictures fall off the wall during certain movie scenes.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:11 PM

376 posts, read 203,745 times
Old thread, but what you (OP) heard was probably frequencies in the sub 26 hertz region. There's a small niche segment of the car audio community dedicated to playing Fq's even lower than the lowest commercially produced music. It's at the point where they're not interested in playing actual music but to listen to tones that create the most air movement within the vehicle.
The huge systems you had in the past (I'm guessing 1990's?) probably play at a higher frequency than this tiny segment of the car audio scene would like.

If you desire this kind of sound then just get an older large suv, buy 2 18 inch subwoofers, build a vented box around 12-14 cubic ft. net tuned at 28hz and power it with a 5,000w rms amplifier. Download some of the modern hip hop music and find a computer program to slow the music 20% and wallah..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive