Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:36 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Have you spent any time with a classic 4 cyl sports car or sport sedan like the Alfas I posted before? They aren't "buzzy" in the slightest. Even the new Fiat 500 Abarth isn't buzzy, and has a nice little growl instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BuZmJmpTdk

Skip to 4:40 here and listen to Mercedes' 2.3 twincam rumble:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANv83OJk--4
I dont think you can compare classic 4cyl sports cars with modern 4cyl eco boxes. Especially those equipped with the god awful CVT. I rented a new corolla equipped with a cvt not too long ago and it was down right pathetic to drive. Many years ago I owned a 1994 corolla equipped with a 4-speed auto that I prefer to the new cvt equipped corolla’s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 09:02 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Same here. They gave my wife a nx300 loaner and she hated it when comparing it to the 3.5 V6 in her ES350. Loud, raspy 4cyl that lacked refinement.

Now I drive a car with in inline 4 but it’s probably the best 4cyl that I’ve ever driven. Especially since its linked to an 8-speed dual clutch transmission. It is a 2017 Acura TLX with Honda’s tried and proven 2.4 4cyl. I’ll take that engine over any turbo engine that Honda currently has although I’ve heard that the 2.0t is pretty impressive. The 1.5t honda engines are suffering from oil dilution where gas is mixing in with the engine oil.
Yeah my car has the old legendary UZ 4.3L Lexus V8, literally about the most smooth and refined motor ever made. It doesn't even need to break 2100RPM to stay ahead of the flow of traffic. Not a fan of downsized turbo crap. The lag was very noticeable, something one would have to get used to.

With the 2.0t I did think they did a good job hiding the NVH, actually, (I was overall impressed with the vehicle just not the engine) but there's no way you can't tell it's a 4 pot. That horrible, horrible sound is still haunting me, a week later.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I posted this in the Honda/Acura forum but no one responded so I'll ask here. I currently have a 2017 Acura RDX with 3.5L V6. Beautiful, peppy ride. I had a 2019 loaner last week; the engine is now a 2.0L turbo-4. It was semi-peppy but had a little bit of hesitation sometimes. But mostly, the sound of the 4 bothers me. It sounds like "the little engine that could". Switching to Sport Mode makes the exhaust sound a little louder, but it still has that putt-putt sound to me. Am I the only one who notices this difference in sound or is bothered by it (in general, not just the RDX)? Not sure what I'm gonna do when my lease comes due in September...
You are not imagining it. They do go putt-putt, more like a whirring sound. The 3.5 liter V6 in my Lexus is buttery smooth.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:10 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It’s not 100% exhaust. I can hear the buzziness of a 4cyl coming from the engine compartment.
That has nothing to do with the number of cylinders but soundproofing.

Never in my life have I head this "buzziness"

Old 02-06-2019, 02:05 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Inline 6s and V-12s are inherently the smoothest.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:13 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Recent Mercedes 4-bangers are the worst, they just sound like put-put cars regardless of their power output or engineering.

I like my distinctive Subaru Boxer Turbo-4 burble though!
Get rid of those unequal length manifolds and it won't sound like that.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:18 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
I'm not a fan of mfg's nowadays cramming 4-banger turbos into all there CUVs and SUVs. No way some 4-banger will be as smooth as Honda's legendary J-series V6.
.And V6s aren't even smooth especially without a counter shaft or harmonic balancer, it'll never be as smooth as a V8, which isn't as smooth as a V10, V12, V16, straight six or eight.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:23 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
That has nothing to do with the number of cylinders but soundproofing.

Never in my life have I head this "buzziness"
Cylinder count and configuration absolutely does impact the exhaust note. Drive by under load and unless the exhaust note is totally muffled I can correctly guess the cylinder count probably 80% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Get rid of those unequal length manifolds and it won't sound like that.
The STi is the only Subaru left with unequal-length headers. And they'll likely be gone with the next-gen STi.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:21 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
.And V6s aren't even smooth especially without a counter shaft or harmonic balancer, it'll never be as smooth as a V8, which isn't as smooth as a V10, V12, V16, straight six or eight.
A V10 is less smooth than a V8. It has an odd bank of cylinders firing vs even for a V8.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You know what engine sounds really bother me?

The banging of a spun main or rod bearing.
The squeal of a pilot or throw out bearing that I know I'm going to have to replace.
The "click" and faint hum of a starter that can't get enough juice.

Be glad the damn thing carries your carcass around and you're not lying on your back at 3 in the morning on a sheet of ice in the driveway in February changing a starter motor so you can get to work tomorrow and pay for it.
Been there but it has been a while. In my case the starter bolt broke off in the transmission housing, so I got to spend a few extra hours in the cold trying to get the broken bolt out. Then when I finally got the stater in and was reconnecting the wires, one of the connectors broke off because it had corroded at the solder joint.

When it is that cold, I have to work for maybe half an hour or less and then go warm up then go work for half an hour or less .. . . .

it sucks, i feel you pain. Sorry you had to do that. Glad that is well in the past for me and highly unlikely to come round again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive