Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:43 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I've seen a number of Cadillac ELRs on Carvana, which is a sub-$30K car that is not very common.
It's something I'm thinking about buying in the future.
I'd consider buying one from them, since it's a car that's unlikely to be available nearby.

Here's one that's coming soon, the much rarer 2016 model:
https://www.carvana.com/details/1180...llac-coupe-2d-
Good color combo, too. That's not a horrible price for it.
They only made a few hundred 2016's, which are a much better performer than the 2014's.
Yeah, EVs seem to be the one niche category they do cater to. Good number of i3s or Teslas as well. I think it's just more who their customer base is. The F-Type SVR is more the exception. They aren't selling a lot of even more common sports cars like the F-Type, 911, or even all that many Corvettes. It's mostly Mustangs and Camaros and Challengers, which aren't niche vehicles. There's a small selection of Corvettes, a Boxster, a smattering of FJ Cruisers. There's a good number of Fiat 500es, which Fiat probably sells a few hundred of those a year. Most of them are sale pending or coming soon. EVs definitely seem to be their where it's at for niche vehicles. The meat and potatoes though is off lease BMWs and whatnot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 12:26 PM

169 posts, read 160,271 times
I think carvana is a cool idea. However it could be risky buying a car without even seeing it in person or test driving it. It’s like online shopping except what your buying isn’t clothing or electronics

Which is why I would rather buy from a traditional dealership while ignoring the vultures working there

Old 02-04-2019, 01:21 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
One car I am interested in shows on the CarFax as it being used as a rental in California. The Carvana site says the car is now located in Eaton Rapids, MI and due to my proximity (~50 miles) the delivery will free.

As soon as I asked if I could examine the car prior to pushing the button on their internet page, I was told that all cars are stored at one of four national warehouse lots and all inspection is done in the buyer's driveway following delivery. My nearby proximity for free delivery is based on distance to a sales office or something, not the car.

Something is fishy.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:02 PM

9,496 posts, read 9,804,183 times
I purchased a car from them in 2017. Easy smooth purchase delivered to my door. Felt that the price was also very good compared to local sales.

I would recommend them if you don't like dealing with dealers. If you really want to test drive before you buy, you could go to someone like Carmax and test drive a similar car. You do get a 7 day test drive after the car is delivered from Carvana.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
One car I am interested in shows on the CarFax as it being used as a rental in California. The Carvana site says the car is now located in Eaton Rapids, MI and due to my proximity (~50 miles) the delivery will free.

As soon as I asked if I could examine the car prior to pushing the button on their internet page, I was told that all cars are stored at one of four national warehouse lots and all inspection is done in the buyer's driveway following delivery. My nearby proximity for free delivery is based on distance to a sales office or something, not the car.

Something is fishy.
Not fishy at all. That is their business model. You have 7 days to return the car after the deal. That's the time you have to do all the inspections you want.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:55 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not fishy at all. That is their business model. You have 7 days to return the car after the deal. That's the time you have to do all the inspections you want.
Who pays the sales tax? Who pays for the plates and registration?

Does Carvana refund this money?

Old 02-04-2019, 06:21 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Who pays the sales tax? Who pays for the plates and registration?

Does Carvana refund this money?
Yes, they refund the money. The full policy is on their site.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:22 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcRxg7teOM

Old 02-05-2019, 02:48 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Has anyone used this service? I am looking at possibly purchasing a low mileage used 2018 Volvo V60 Cross Country. Prices off Dealer lots for this model hover around $32K, Carvanna prices hover around $28K. New, these cars cost around $45K and the redesigned 2019 models have not yet been released

Saving $17K to buy a one year old car with less than 12K miles is attractive to me, but is the Carvana service trustworthy?

Thanks,
Before buying from them do a google for Carvana reviews. Some have a great experience but there are some that don't. You really have to look the car over when it shows up as there could be rust in the engine compartment or trunk that wasn't listed. Seems returning the car can be a royal PITA, one guy had to keep on them with the registration for a car he returned.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
They do give you your money back MINUS the delivery fee if it was located out of your area. So I think this is an important point. If you paid $1000 to have a car delivered, not many people are going to want to lose $1k on a car by returning it a few days later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive