Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It’s the only viable solution to urban traffic jams. If all the cars are autonomous and you take the stooopid humans out of the equation, you can move double the amount of traffic down the same roads without any stop & go. Humans need that carlength per 10 mph for separation. Computers don’t. Computers don’t text and drive or all the other distracted driver things.

If I’m doing a soul crushing commute and commute time can be cut in half but autonomous cars, I’m voting for the guy who wants nothing but autonomous cars on those roads at rush hour.
I think you're going to be very surprised at the amount of resistance you will see if you more radical supporters try to push this on people too quickly and in a way that requires rapid and forced adoption. I understand the benefits but it's like a fever with some of you folks. Let it happen naturally and don't try to force anyone in to it. This isn't something worth getting violent over. And don't think it won't come to that if people start making ill considered heavy handed laws about this sort of thing. If you force people to break the law to get to work every day you're going to create a lot of criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 08:15 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Self driving cars are like a religion to some people. It's so strange. What is the big hurry? Why the almost maniacal desire to rapidly force this technology on people who don't want it or who prefer to see us take out time with it?
40,000 deaths and 3 million injuries annually is a pretty big deal to some. Cutting that in half or more is a worthwhile goal and autonomous cars are poised to deliver on that promise.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We are 100% reliant on technology. Why is GPS NAV any different from any other technology?

Not taking the bait on the political comment. You minimize weak links when you can and that would be a huge one. This tech can evolve without GPS for precise navigation.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
40,000 deaths and 3 million injuries annually is a pretty big deal to some. Cutting that in half or more is a worthwhile goal and autonomous cars are poised to deliver on that promise.
Given time, and adopted incrementally, sure, at least to a point. Adopted hastily and with a heavy hand it will cause more problems than it solves. And you can insist we adopt rapidly and forcefully all you want but it won't happen that way if people don't want it to. People are less likely to go along if they feel they are being forced in to it.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Given time, and adopted incrementally, sure, at least to a point. Adopted hastily and with a heavy hand it will cause more problems than it solves. And you can insist we adopt rapidly and forcefully all you want but it won't happen that way if people don't want it to. People are less likely to go along if they feel they are being forced in to it.

I'm not insisting on it. but I am telling/showing people that the tech is not as far away as they think. I'd love a car that took me to work and back and took me home after a night on the town. But I still like driving and don't want them mandated anytime soon, either. But with the number of deaths and injuries (and the seemingly rapidly vanishing concept of personal responsibility causing all sorts of bad driving in modern times) I can see the very real impetus for legislation to come faster than the tech.

We still have horses, but it wasn't very long after cars arrived that people stopped using horses to go to the store and go shopping with. Once autonomous tech is commonplace (next step up from all the driving aids we already have) it won't take much of a push to go all the way in on it from a regulatory perspective, whether you or I like it or not.

Old 02-11-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I'm not insisting on it. but I am telling/showing people that the tech is not as far away as they think. I'd love a car that took me to work and back and took me home after a night on the town. But I still like driving and don't want them mandated anytime soon, either. But with the number of deaths and injuries (and the seemingly rapidly vanishing concept of personal responsibility causing all sorts of bad driving in modern times) I can see the very real impetus for legislation to come faster than the tech.

We still have horses, but it wasn't very long after cars arrived that people stopped using horses to go to the store and go shopping with. Once autonomous tech is commonplace (next step up from all the driving aids we already have) it won't take much of a push to go all the way in on it from a regulatory perspective, whether you or I like it or not.
There are people calling for legislation outlawing cow farts and airplanes, it doesn't mean it's going to happen anytime soon.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:25 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Self driving cars are like a religion to some people. It's so strange. What is the big hurry? Why the almost maniacal desire to rapidly force this technology on people who don't want it or who prefer to see us take out time with it?
You’ll find that some people just love to control other people. They want to force something on people that they don’t want.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Plus, considering all the deaths and injuries due to motorized vehicles, and NO ONE is calling for us to go back to horse and buggy...so really, motorized cars are seen as a good thing/ beneficial, even though millions of lives have been taken or ruined...thats pretty significant!

Safety and convenience are whats going to sell this to the general public ultimately, just imagine if we can cut the lives lost due to motor vehicle accidents down to almost nothing, no more deaths or injuries from DUIs, texting while driving, road rage, etc will become moot topics.

When all cars on the road are SD, it will also be much cheaper to own and operate a vehicle, since all cars are SD, no more need for traffic lights, stop and go traffic, stop signs, etc. plus, no more need to carry full coverage insurance, car owners will still need insurance for falling tree limbs, hail, etc, but that kind of insurance is cheap compared to comp/collision!

Old 02-11-2019, 10:51 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
GPS reliance will not be a solution. It may be part of a backup / sensor fusion solution. The real solution will be a very smart system thapt can do path prediction with cameras / (maybe lidar).

This system will be built on massive data set for a deep learning model that at least does the perception part.

When this model will be accurate enough is very hard to predict, but the transition will likely be rapid. Keep in mind current state of the art deep learning models have barely touched video, most deal with one or two frames of image at most! When models and processing power are ready to crunch video, expect results to improve significantly.

Then, expect a state or two to have more generous autonomous laws. Those states will allow display of the possible massive benefit of autonomous and/or significant downsides. If the benefits are huge, then other states will feel pressure to adapt.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
GPS reliance will not be a solution. It may be part of a backup / sensor fusion solution. The real solution will be a very smart system thapt can do path prediction with cameras / (maybe lidar).

This system will be built on massive data set for a deep learning model that at least does the perception part.

When this model will be accurate enough is very hard to predict, but the transition will likely be rapid. Keep in mind current state of the art deep learning models have barely touched video, most deal with one or two frames of image at most! When models and processing power are ready to crunch video, expect results to improve significantly.

Then, expect a state or two to have more generous autonomous laws. Those states will allow display of the possible massive benefit of autonomous and/or significant downsides. If the benefits are huge, then other states will feel pressure to adapt.
That ship has already sailed. Air navigation has gone there and there is no rational way to turn back. The system can also be rigged with local guide posts if needed. Likely to provide high accuracy and redundancy in many situations.

It will also be augmented by video and LIDAR which will also be capable of centimeter accuracy.

Again the navigation stuff is pretty well under control. It is sorting the murky interactions that is the interesting problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive