Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 01:39 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,766,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
Ah here it is. How swiftly are you talking about here? I have a car that will last me at least 10 more years if there are no major accidents. When will you tell me I can't drive it anymore? And why will I listen to you?

You sound a lot like a guy who owned a horse and buggy in 1900.

"My horse will last me another 15 years as long as I take him to the vet regularly"

Yeah, and? Were you making a point?

Go look at pictures of 5th Avenue in New York between 1900 and 1915. When technology comes along that is decisively better and provides obvious advantages to the status quo, adoption is rapid.

https://static.businessinsider.com/i...1c0000-750.jpg

https://static.businessinsider.com/i...220000-750.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
The US is focused on the wrong thing. I just saw a 60 minutes segment on electric cars in China. Their government is helping their electric car industry to succeed. In the near future there is a very good chance that the Chinese will dominate the electric car industry worldwide while the US will still be messing around with the latest fad -- self-driving cars.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:46 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The US is focused on the wrong thing. I just saw a 60 minutes segment on electric cars in China. Their government is helping their electric car industry to succeed. In the near future there is a very good chance that the Chinese will dominate the electric car industry worldwide while the US will still be messing around with the latest fad -- self-driving cars.
Yep. The US government used to do the same thing for new technologies when they realized the old tech was out of date. Bell Labs was a monopoly that Uncle Sam threw money at during the 1950's to invent the future. Curtis Wright and other big Av were in the same spot. That kind of long term thinking was a big driver of the unparalleled prosperity we enjoyed post WW2. Now we just have a big mess as the subsidies and support goes to the biggest campaign contributors, all to help perpetuate the past and the associated short term gains. We've lost it and China will pick up the ball in this century.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
No, it’s not. How will a car be able to distinguish a white road due to dried salt, versus a road that is actually snow covered?

How will a car distinguish between leaves blowing on the road versus a tree that has fallen and blocked the road? The technology isn’t even close to that point yet. Look at that “self-driving” car that hit and killed a guy that was crossing the road on a bicycle. A person was supposed to be monitoring the car, but failed to do that, and the car wasn’t smart enough to know to hit the brakes.

So many people are misled about where this technology is at the current time. There are tons of problems that do not yet have a solution.
That woman with the bike? She was wearing all black, at night, in an area with no street lights, and crossing the road on a curve. A human driver wouldn't have been able to miss her either. It was almost as if she was trying to get hit.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:55 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
That woman with the bike? She was wearing all black, at night, in an area with no street lights, and crossing the road on a curve. A human driver wouldn't have been able to miss her either. It was almost as if she was trying to get hit.
Nope. She was actually the easiest of targets. Moving and obvious to LIDAR and radar. And Uber has admitted the sensors saw her. The issue was that the spotted target was not responded to... the software refused to deal with a recognized target so she died. Pretty much a criminal failure.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope. She was actually the easiest of targets. Moving and obvious to LIDAR and radar. And Uber has admitted the sensors saw her. The issue was that the spotted target was not responded to... the software refused to deal with a recognized target so she died. Pretty much a criminal failure.
Interesting. I didn't see you in the room.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Interesting. I didn't see you in the room.
There was no "room". Just data. Simple data. Blown by careless developers. As a practical matter that car should not have been on the street.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
There was no "room". Just data. Simple data. Blown by careless developers. As a practical matter that car should not have been on the street.
Sorry, but no. Given that Uber released zero details to the public, other than the dash cam videos, everything here is speculation. The crash report was high level and covered no tech. Even the court details are sealed.

Funny - if it had been a normal car the end result would have been the same. But, in that case, everyone would have been tearing the 'stupid cyclist' to shreds for her unsafe and potentially illegal crossing.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:16 AM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Another naysaying article on February 26 from the CEO of ARM Holdings. https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/hu...--finance.html

Gotta be decades away, not years.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:09 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Ready for this? The US is focused on EV’s and self driving cars. That’s right in a free market economy you can focus on a million things at once. Only the strongest technologies succeed.

China used to primarily use bikes for transportation. Now they need electric cars to help with the smog they inflicted on themselves in their struggle to be the world’s dumping ground and home of cheap environmentally toxic manufacturing. Only after they can’t see their hand in front of their face they decide to do something drastic about their smog problem. They’re trying to out manufacture a problem created by manufacturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive