Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 06:11 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Actually have that also. Utility sink placed in garage when built. The hot/cold faucet is threaded so can take any garden type hose. And when garage was built - added a floor drain.

Easy to do with new construction. A tad more difficult with existing homes/garages.
Excellent, that’s a very practical setup!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 06:20 AM

134 posts, read 113,488 times
OP. I stick $2 worth of quarters in the Spray & Wash and rinse it all off. No need to scrub. Just rinse.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Every time I went through a car wash with undercarriage wash, my truck would get stuck in 4x4 low. I then had to go through an absurdly complicated reset process to get it working again. Reverently during some work on the turck the mechanic found the 4x4 actuator module was green inside. Apparently this is a known problem because they make a shield kit to protect the actuator. Now I can wash the salt off and still drive my truck too.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Excellent, that’s a very practical setup!
And expensive to put a floor drain in because you have to tear up garage floor and driveway and lawn to connect into the main drain, and don’t forget to pull a permit from the city or county. The amount of money you spend on putting in a drain in a garage you can get a lifetime of car washes. Some of the suggestions on here are way beyond crazy. People say hey just put in a drain so what if it cost a couple thousand dollars or more to Putin the drain and don’t forget about the plumbing for the new hot and cold water faucets.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
If you have a power spray and warm water that would be the best since there are rock salt clumps that do not rinse off easily. Warm water and a power spray works better to dissolve salt clumps and dirt.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM

5,341 posts, read 14,139,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Every time I went through a car wash with undercarriage wash, my truck would get stuck in 4x4 low. I then had to go through an absurdly complicated reset process to get it working again. Reverently during some work on the turck the mechanic found the 4x4 actuator module was green inside. Apparently this is a known problem because they make a shield kit to protect the actuator. Now I can wash the salt off and still drive my truck too.
What kind of truck?

Old 02-12-2019, 12:10 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
But you vehicle is somewhat dry because they use blowers that blow the water off your vehicle like a blow dryer so most of 5he water is removed than the wipe the windows and side mirrors off. A quarter car was depends on you driving your vehicle to dry off the car but in the winter the water freezes instead of drying.
I live in the interior of Alaska, and take my automobiles throughs the car washing places I referred to above. The air that is blasted on the vehicle does not remove water from the undercarriage and any parts underneath.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:26 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I live in the interior of Alaska, and take my automobiles throughs the car washing places I referred to above. The air that is blasted on the vehicle does not remove water from the undercarriage and any parts underneath.
Why would you think the undercarriage is blown dry the vehicle is still running when it goes through the car wash, no car wash blows the water from the undercarriage.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:25 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Why would you think the undercarriage is blown dry the vehicle is still running when it goes through the car wash, no car wash blows the water from the undercarriage.
Perhaps you have failed to understand what I am trying to tell you, so here it goes again:

a. I take my automobiles through a car wash in the middle of the winter, even when the ambient temperature is -20 degrees, in a place where there are attendants spraying soap/warm water to remove the dark color grime that results from sand and the salt-grime used on the roads. Also to melt the ice that has accumulated on top of the windows, mirrors, windshield, bumpers, and so on.

b. After that the car goes through the automatic scrubbers, rinsers, and air blasts to remove the water from the paint, windows, windshield, and bumpers. At the end another set of attendants take care of the door weather strips, the windows, and windshield, as well as any remaining water droplets on the paint.

c. The undercarriage is not dried because the air is blown on the car from above, and the sides.

d. But it does not matter if the undercarriage is still wet, since the air outside of the building is quite dry (below freezing). Air that is very cold does not contain moisture, so by the time I drive a few miles at -10 or perhaps -20 degrees, the water on the undercarriage and parts is just about dry.

e. Finally, in reality is toes not matter how much you wash there undercarriage and all the others parts below the car during the winter when road salt is being used, because a few miles of driving is going to add a new layer of salt on your car. In fact, even during the spring when the roads are dry your car will again pick some salt (dust). It is only after it has rained for a while that road salt is mostly removed from the asphalt.

f. However, by washing the car during the winter (indoors in a heated place), I can at least remove the dark grime on the exterior of the car. Then during the summer I can take the car though a self-serve car wash place where I use water sprayers to spray the exterior of the car, and as much of the undercarriage as possible.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
And expensive to put a floor drain in you have to tear up garage floor and driveway and lawn to connect into the main drain, and don’t forget to pull a permit from the city or county. The amount of money you spend on putting in a drain in a garage you can get a lifetime of car washes. Some of the suggestions on here are way beyond crazy. People say hey just put in a drain so what if it cost a couple thousand dollars or more to Putin the drain and don’t forget about the plumbing for the new hot and cold water faucets.
Highly illegal to do here in MN, though my brother did it when he built his house and was friends with builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive