Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:20 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,702,400 times

Advertisements

Time I just admit it

This thread was a **** poor attempt at pleasing tree huggers

But I also always been interested in just seeing how the steam engine would evolve to this day and age

And yeah we could use propane, which is the quick winner here

As far as other issues go, well all primitive technologies take time to develop

As far as hybrids and electrics being the future, here is a couple things

1. Hardly people go outside anymore

2. The oil and gas industry is way too large too fail, it is one of the biggest gatekeepers of the industrialized world. Let's say the gas and oil industry was gone overnight, do you think most of the world's economy is going to get a good impact from this?

3. The fact that they're being "hyped up" and not progressing naturally at all shows how much of a flop the gimmick of hybrids and electric cars really is, I am all for them being the future if they must be, but don't do it in the name of garbage progressive agenda. Btw, why didn't hybrids and electrics evolve as fast as ICE cars then? Why weren't they hyped up generations ago as they are today? And ICE cars only continue to get more efficient, affordable and better overall, meanwhile what's going with Tesla and other electric car gimmicks? They're flopping and people really think hybrids/electrics are the future? If they are, then actually work properly on the technology and not push it in the name of "progressive agenda" garbage

Also, same for self driving cars, people think they're the future and we can't even still stop hearing incidents about them

Oh you care about your safety? How bout let's ban cellphones altogether and go back to using telephone books and regular phones

Oh wait my idea sounds too authoritarian? I could say the same for people wanting to ban human driving in the name of safety

Why don't we ban combat sports while we're at it too?

Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,702,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Time I just admit it

This thread was a **** poor attempt at pleasing tree huggers

But I also always been interested in just seeing how the steam engine would evolve to this day and age

And yeah we could use propane, which is the quick winner here

As far as other issues go, well all primitive technologies take time to develop

As far as hybrids and electrics being the future, here is a couple things

1. Hardly people go outside anymore

2. The oil and gas industry is way too large too fail, it is one of the biggest gatekeepers of the industrialized world. Let's say the gas and oil industry was gone overnight, do you think most of the world's economy is going to get a good impact from this?

3. The fact that they're being "hyped up" and not progressing naturally at all shows how much of a flop the gimmick of hybrids and electric cars really is, I am all for them being the future if they must be, but don't do it in the name of garbage progressive agenda. Btw, why didn't hybrids and electrics evolve as fast as ICE cars then? Why weren't they hyped up generations ago as they are today? And ICE cars only continue to get more efficient, affordable and better overall, meanwhile what's going with Tesla and other electric car gimmicks? They're flopping and people really think hybrids/electrics are the future? If they are, then actually work properly on the technology and not push it in the name of "progressive agenda" garbage

Also, same for self driving cars, people think they're the future and we can't even still stop hearing incidents about them

Oh you care about your safety? How bout let's ban cellphones altogether and go back to using telephone books and regular phones

Oh wait my idea sounds too authoritarian? I could say the same for people wanting to ban human driving in the name of safety

Why don't we ban combat sports while we're at it too?
Once you look into enviromental and satiety concerns, they are what ruined the auto industry's chance to take time on other technologies to improve the experience for the driver

It also amazes me how the same people who want self driving cars literally are the same ones who text, drink, put makeup on, do phone calls or eat while driving.

Oh the humanity!

Old 02-12-2019, 02:58 AM

1,663 posts, read 868,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I was actually joking about the coal. It would be very unsuitable for this. Take too long to get going and there is no way to turn it off other than letting it burn out.
The British built coal and coke powered steam trucks in the early 1900s, but as you can imagine they were monstrosities that disappeared quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
even today there are a lot of issues with steam power.

and then you still have the issues of the boilers overheating and doing silly little things like blowing up
Yes they do. Locomotive boilers used to blow up with an incredible amount of force.

In 1969 GM built two cars that used steam engines and burned kerosene.

The steam engine weighed over twice as much as the 400 it replaced, and made less than half as much power. It also used lots of water and there was no practical way to keep them from freezing in winter.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:29 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,868,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Yes they do. Locomotive boilers used to blow up with an incredible amount of force.

Any boiler is a potential bomb but people use them all the time now in their houses, industry etc. Issues in the past would be related to poor construction and human error. There is reason they are referred to as a train engineer. They needed needed to maintain the correct pressure. A modern boiler has automatic controls and pressure relief valves that will blow at X PSI, X depends on your application.

Quote:
It also used lots of water and there was no practical way to keep them from freezing in winter.
An outdoor boiler which is closed system will use anti freeze or glycol, whether that would be applicable to steam system I'm not sure especially in the context of this discussion. Obviously it would need to be closed system.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:56 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,194,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Fine

What's the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger?

Turbo chargers have more free flow RPM where are superchargers have more of their flow directly come from exhausts

What's the difference between power steering and normal steering?

Normal steering uses more down force on the wheels, power steering uses more traction control

Yeah... None of the things you said about these extremely basic parts/systems is correct.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 AM

44,293 posts, read 19,960,112 times
I've just spent 45 minutes cleaning up this thread and have barely scratched the surface. The thread is not salvageable and will remain closed.

People, please keep in mind that personal attacks and other ToS violations can earn you hefty infractions and temporary or permanent suspension of your posting privileges. If you don't like a topic, then move on to another thread. You may attack ideas, but NEVER attack the intelligence, the veracity, nor the character of another member.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-12-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive