Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 08:38 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Here you can pretty much always negotiate the ticket to a higher fee non-moving violation and get no points, which is more important than the fee. typically they change the charge to double parking which is $450 instead of $250, but you get no points. For us, points will cost us thousands in the next several years on increased insurance rates.
Yes auto insurance is a joke here it’s a lawyers piggy bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2019, 09:57 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I used to live in South Ga for a while and if you’ve ever been thoughthst area traveling down I-75 the cops are dirty as they come.
I was warned about this prior to driving through, by a trucker.
Boy was he right, just south of Macon they were lined up all the way to the border.
Also just got my first speeding tic in over a decade. I punched the gas to dry the car after spraying the salt off, didn't want doors and windows to freeze.
Car was still wet on a sunny day, cop didn't care.
$270 to get supervision in this state for doing 22 over.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:13 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I was doing 71 in a 45 passing someone going up hill who thought it would be funny to hit the gas while I passed them.

Haha, good thing they didn't get you both for drag racing ! It's always nuts when you are following someone who is going slow, and as you pass, they speed up as soon as you get next to them. Happens to me all the time, and I have to kick it to get around them.

Old 02-12-2019, 01:26 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not sure about where you live but the local cops in my area will "suggest" they might work something out in court. They get paid overtime....

A friend received a speeding ticket from a local cop who highly recommended my friend go to court because the judges in that jurisdiction were very lenient.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:01 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
An officer said...and it holds true. Every driver is violating some code I can pull them over for. And by golly it's true.
Seat belt? Not signalling. Passing improperly. Light out?
Stickers covering window. U turn. Not coming to a full stop. Parking to close to an emergency zone. Ohh the list is amazing. I'm 100% convinced I've gone above the speed limit..somewhere in the past week. I don't gloat about it simply because Mr officer had bigger fish to fry. I do know that in less then one month..no one is innocent .
I don't sweet talk my way out of a legitimate ticket. I accept accountability. Lotsa yes sirs' and compliance does wonders in regrouping . I did fight a parking ticket...because A: neither my car nor myself was in that town. Ever!. They came to my house to serve the warrant cuz it went unpaid. I had to show proof of my where abouts. Car was in for body repair and I was at work. It was dismissed .

Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Boy was he right, just south of Macon they were lined up all the way to the border.
Also just got my first speeding tic in over a decade. I punched the gas to dry the car after spraying the salt off, didn't want doors and windows to freeze.
When your going though Valdosta, Ga ONE GPS “Gods special people” as they are called lol. Sits on top of an overpass., he only tags out of state drivers because locals know this is illegal. There are 4 or 5 sitting on the on ramp lined up and ready to go. Even when I moved back West people tell horror story’s about the GSP.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 PM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post

They double the fine in work zones.. Maybe they should double it for stupid excuses.

Maybe you should have tried "I was speeding so the drinks I had wouldn't catch up to me and make me drunk"

Old 02-13-2019, 03:05 AM

35,060 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Didn't follow your earlier saga. Subject line sounds like my dad, who had very few if-any infractions or contacts with police. Not once, ever, growing up and not sure in his 60s and 70s before he passed. He was a hooligan in his youth who reformed at about age 30, though, when he married my mom. So there you go.

"Ticket" conversations, like some other explosive subjects on C-D, usually and almost instantly devolve into three and only three positions, hurled as insults:

1. "Pay it, it's the right thing to do, you criminal! What'd you do that for, anyway? You're a punk!"
2. Don't pay it, get a lawyer, fight the man via push-button warfare: he goes in, fights it, case dismissed, I pay.
3. I'll fight it myself, damn the torpedoes! On my worst day I'm smarter than Judge Bork!

I should make that into a poll...

Guess you went option 3?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not sure about where you live but the local cops in my area will "suggest" they might work something out in court. They get paid overtime....

Last ticket I received was from PA State Trooper who are typically very reasonable. I was doing 85 in a 65 on the Turnpike which is pretty normal. I was actually surprised he pulled me over. He issued me a "illegally operated a vehicle" ticket for something like $100 total. Basically the equivalent of a littering fine, no points. I think he was fishing for other violations like no license etc.
As an attorney, usually working it out with the cops, with the help of a lawyer is best. Often they can bargain it down to a non-speed such as "violating a traffic-control device", that device being the speed limit sign.

I would prefer it if more people will do this, however, Strategy to Defeat Speed Traps, Texting and Other Nonsense Laws. I really hate it when I see people pulled over, and their day ruined for no particularly good reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Here's my modest proposal; that people organize to have large numbers of people take tickets of the kind described below to trial. The results could be both effective, comedic and educational.

With laws on the books such as texting laws (Ticket for Holding Phone While Driving), unreasonably low speed limits, Does Anyone Feel Speed Limits Are Too Low?, and ones under consideration, such as banning texting and walking, New Jersey is considering banning texting while walking (PC on a rampage),, and eating and driving, NJ About to Ban Driving and Eating, it's time for people to fight back. The legislators are in the thrall of insurance companies and political correctness.

After reading a book by William Adler called The Man Who Never Died, about Joe Hill, a labor organizer (a book I highly recommend) I came up with a strategy. The labor movement, int he early part of the 20th Century was harassed by communities issuing tickets for "disorderly conduct" and jailing people on trumped up charges to stop demonstrations. The demonstrators came up with the strategy of having everyone plead "not guilty" and demanding a jury trial. Towns with limited resources, such as Fresno in 1908 or 1909 (still not a wealthy place) would be fiscally ruined by the expense.

So why not try to get people who were not actually endangering life and limb to plead not guilty, and demand the most elaborate trial possible. Many jurisdictions don't allow for jury trials on traffic infringements. But if large numbers of people stopped for low-grade speeding violations or cell-phone violations pleaded not guilty, showed up and refused to take a plea and the pretrial conferences and demanded a trial, the part-time judges' calendars would stretch well into the night. And the courtroom would be packed with just about every police officer who would have to appear.

Worth a try?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:21 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They double the fine in work zones.. Maybe they should double it for stupid excuses.

Maybe you should have tried "I was speeding so the drinks I had wouldn't catch up to me and make me drunk"

Maybe they should cease policing for profit, and find real jobs.
Wasn't a work zone, this state is broke/corrupt; so they upped the fines on everything.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:24 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Here you can pretty much always negotiate the ticket to a higher fee non-moving violation and get no points, which is more important than the fee. typically they change the charge to double parking which is $450 instead of $250, but you get no points. For us, points will cost us thousands in the next several years on increased insurance rates.
Then you should change insurance companies. In almost 50 years of driving, my insurance has never been affected as a result of any traffic tickets/points on my DL, only chargeable accidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive