Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,776,135 times

Advertisements

Kenwood was THE go to systems back in my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 AM

17,487 posts, read 17,349,511 times
Jen wood is pretty good car stereo brand. I’ve liked their car speakers for the tone. Some of the speakers most favor have too high a pitch for my ears. I have a partial hearing loss and so some frequencies are painful or irritating.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:39 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,794,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Head units are all pretty much the same.

That is not a very accurate statement. There is actually a huge difference in head units. As others have mentioned, Kenwood makes different levels of head units. Their lower priced entry models are still good but they have all the way up into very good high end units. One of the biggest differences is the FM Sensitivity rating. This is what you need to look at to determine how good the FM receiver is and how well it will pick up FM radio stations. There can be a big difference in this area. Also, the software for the user interface has varying levels of quality and sophistication.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:01 AM

6,334 posts, read 7,689,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
...Lot of other cool features, too. Kenwood gets it "mostly" right, which means: best of a bad lot. On Amazon, 70% of reviewers gave 4 or 5/5 starts, but 30% 3 or lower, too. Take that as you will.

I assume that was the question, "How well in general does Kenwood's auto ecosystem function?" Not quite sure from the few quoted words above, but WTH: someone with half a brain may find my comments of-use.
I most certainly find your comments helpful, (and I only have a quarter of a brain). Been mulling for several months now getting a Kenwood for my RAV4. The new RAV doesn't have a CD-ROM player. I know things are moving foreward, but they still work for me. And I love the Garmin integration. Retaining the steering wheel controls is encouraging, and you having a Toyota product confirms that.

Only problem is deciding which model to get. The Crutchfield specs show very little difference between the various units. Can't really seeing paying an extra Ben Franklin for an additional USB port.

Thanks for the tip on the Amazon reviews. I was just going by the Crutchfield ones.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-20-2019, 03:10 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,262,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Most folks don't get or comprehend that part of the question.

I don't buy any used car with an aftermarket radio. Too many variables as to how good or bad the wiring is.
Were the wires soldered or just used electrical tape or whatever.

With modern installation kits, it's often just plug and play with factory wiring harnesses and factory plugs, no soldering or crimping needed. So ruling out an aftermarket stereo is silly and shows how little you know about modern systems.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 PM

5,690 posts, read 4,603,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Kenwood was THE go to systems back in my day.
The rest of us poor folks went with Radio Shack.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:28 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
The rest of us poor folks went with Radio Shack.
And in my day it was Craig and pioneer and Panasonic.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM

17,487 posts, read 17,349,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And in my day it was Craig and pioneer and Panasonic.
Naw, Sparkomatic and Road Master! Lol

Old 02-20-2019, 04:49 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I loved my slide in and slide out AM/FM 8 track player still remember my 8 track tape Bob Seager and the silver bullet band live Bullet recorded live at Coba Hall in Detroit sounded great in my 1974 Pinto i hooked up 6 speakers in it.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:24 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,433,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Naw, Blaupunkt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive