Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2019, 10:41 AM

20,264 posts, read 36,984,230 times

Advertisements

There was one time back in the early '80s when driving through Donner Pass that I had to put chains on the FWD car I was driving. The chains are put on the "drive" tires, which in this case are the front ones. If driving a RWD pickup truck, the chains go on the rear tires. But as stated above by some of you, on a RWD or FWD automobile, chains on all the tires provide more traction.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 02:05 PM

9,290 posts, read 11,036,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_water View Post
I've a 2002 honda crv and we took it up to a nearby snow mountain last week. snow chain was required but haven't had to use it in 10 years, so memory is fuzzy.

Initially I put the cable on the two front wheels but while driving on dry road, the front wheels kept slipping, so the cop told me to put them on the rear. The road was closed about a mile up so we never tried it in icy/snowy condition.

My question is is it ok to put cable/chain on the rear wheels if the vehicle is front wheel drive? the front wheels slipped, is it because the cable was on too loose (i had them on pretty snug tho)?
Agree with all who say the chains were not properly installed. The cop is a moron. Chains go on drive wheels.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:06 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,806,641 times
Once and a while the chains you have are not really good ones and no matter what you do they do not perform well.

Just like any other option, If you do not get the right stuff, then you will have problems.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,533,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
WRONG!

The muffler is where you wrap the bacon.

Only if you like it medium done. My wife likes hers crispy, so hers goes on the exhaust manifold.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,533,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When you only put chains on front tires, front tires have brake action and as rear tires not having chains car can spin around and cause serious problems, especially going down hill with a curve. At chain up required check points most in mountain conditions demand chains on all wheels.

Or with 4x4 and AWD, you are not required to use chains if you have studded snow tires.

Especially with cars like our Explorer AWD, which has a dial you dial in snow conditions, and it is fantastic in snow and ice conditions. Going dowh hill (steep hill) press a button and suddenly you have great hold back ability as it adjusts the transmission plus breaks to hold it back at a safe speed.

Unless you live in California. Then they make everyone put chains on. Even if your owner's manual advises against using chains, like mine does. Personally, I don't use studded tires or chains. Most Alaskans don't.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:40 PM

3,930 posts, read 5,137,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Interesting. In what state is either of these requirements true?
It wasn't true on Donner Pass in CA and NV the last time I crossed in a snowstorm.
It isn't true in Montana, Idaho, or Washington on I-90.

Yes, it is true in many (if not most) states that if chains are required, you may get by with M&S rated tires on your four wheel drive, but studs are not required. If conditions are really bad, you may have to put chains on your 4X4! However, when conditions are THAT bad, it is time to stop and wait.

Of course, if you are towing a trailer, you will likely have to put chains on the rear wheels of your 4X4, AND on at least two wheels of the trailer (if it has brakes).

If you are driving a dual wheeled truck, based purely on personal experience, don't bother to ask the "Chain monkeys" at the chain-up area to put them on for you. They are likely to say "No, we don't do duallys!" Be prepared to do it yourself.
What's so hard about duallys?

When I was a garbage man, we had to chain up our trucks in snow. We'd carry a 4"x 6" chunk of wood with one side cut at an angle. We'd put the block in front of the inside wheel and drive it up on the block (we chocked the front wheels for safety too). That would give us room to chain up the outside tire real easily. Repeat for the other side. Total time about ten minutes. This was a city department too, so we had to follow the laws.

Of course, they may have different laws in different areas, but we got around fine in snow covered hilly roads and alleys, even when fully loaded.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:16 PM

22,618 posts, read 24,436,315 times
Yes, but suboptimal.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,916,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
What's so hard about duallys?

When I was a garbage man, we had to chain up our trucks in snow. We'd carry a 4"x 6" chunk of wood with one side cut at an angle. We'd put the block in front of the inside wheel and drive it up on the block (we chocked the front wheels for safety too). That would give us room to chain up the outside tire real easily. Repeat for the other side. Total time about ten minutes. This was a city department too, so we had to follow the laws.

Of course, they may have different laws in different areas, but we got around fine in snow covered hilly roads and alleys, even when fully loaded.

At the time of which I speak, I was driving a 4X2 one ton dually with M&S rated tires, towing a flatbed trailer with an AMC Eagle SX/4 on it. I had single chains. The "chain monkeys" on the CA side of Donner refused to put them on for me, so I did it myself and kept my money in my pocket. I got wet and cold, the "chain monkeys" lost money. I turned the trailer brakes OFF, and proceeded on across the pass at 25 to 30 MPH. the inspector at the end of the chain-up area didn't even blink about not having chains on the trailer, when the brakes were off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive