Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:27 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,612,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
It blows my mind that they spend what they do on a vehicle without batting an eye, but complain about having to pay for satellite radio.
I have to agree about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 10:02 AM

3,267 posts, read 1,779,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Sirius XM is not worth the going rate of $15/month IMO. However, they are constantly offering promotions of something like $30 for 6 months. That makes it worthwhile versus regular radio (I assume you're talking about FM?) to avoid hordes of annoying ass commercials, if those two choices are your only options. ....
That's the question that each person must answer... is it WORTH the price?
So try it, especially around election time, and see if YOU like it.

I LOVE it because I drive everywhere and despise commercials, especially nasty political crappe.
And I get out-of-market football games in season and often listen to the comedy channel for a pleasant change of pace. I'm in SoFla so reception quality is great but YMMV.

... uh, plus I have a great deal of disposable income, so there's that. .

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 02-25-2019 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-25-2019, 10:13 AM

1,062 posts, read 967,602 times
I have SiriusXM in my car and was impressed during the free trial, so I subscribed for $6/month or whatever it was. Totally worth it. I've heard so much music I never did before. For example when Fleetwood Mac was touring, they had a Fleetwood Mac station for 1 month. Then it became the Billy Joel station, and continually cycles to different bands. There are also stations for every genre of music

Old 02-25-2019, 11:38 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,914,680 times
I like it. I have the music only option, which is enough. I have to keep renewing at $30 for 6 months though. $15 a month is too much for radio.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:40 PM

18,750 posts, read 11,724,355 times
We were given Sirius free for 6 months when we bought our 2018 Forester. We've renewed it because we like the news stations vs the music. We will probably let it go next year. It didn't cost that much to renew it because of the promotions. We wouldn't pay full price for it.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:14 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,387,750 times
My receiver starts recording all twelve of my presets as soon as the cars is started, and keeps the last hour unless the car is shut off. So on longer trips I can listen to the last fifteen or so songs on every preset using the forward and back buttons. Or listen to the same song multiple times. Or cycle through all the presets and come back to the best song, restarting it at the beginning. It's a very nice feature.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:16 PM

128,209 posts, read 11,829,165 times
We got a year free when we bought our car. Renewed for 6 months at $36. I will not pay more than that, so it will be interesting to see what they offer in a few months time, when we will be due for remewal. I detest commercials so I like that aspect.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:56 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,627,964 times
They kept sending me offers after the promo activation on my new vehicle expired. I finally accepted 12 months for $70.

The sound quality isn't nearly as good as music streamed from my phone BUT it's at least always available everywhere for times when I want something different. What I do hate is all the talk from the hosts. If I wanted to hear talking I would be tuned in to talk radio...good grief.

Happy with the offer I accepted though.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 PM

5,618 posts, read 5,889,643 times
I can't stand morning shows on FM radio. It took about a month of that and commercials to force me to SiriusXM (my dad already had it).

1. No commercials. TV ads are annoying, but radio ads are far far worse IMO. At least some TV ads can be entertaining or something.

2. Wider variety of music. I dislike most music that dominates FM radio. Alt rock hasn't been truly popular in a long time. There's usually just one or two rock stations and they might not always play what I like. Whereas with FM I might listen to 1 or 2 stations (if lucky), I regularly listen to 5 stations with a few extra on standby in case none of those are playing songs I like.

3. Road trips. At the time I was travelling between GA and TX for school. It was painful hunting for FM stations, most of which were country which I can't stand.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:56 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,413,910 times
4G internet everywhere along with smart phones & bluetooth have made satellite radio obsolete. Things like Slacker, Spotify, Amazon Music, etc, are the wave of the future.

When my free Sirius sub ran out, I didn't really care. I really wasn't using it in lieu of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive