Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 04:51 PM

7,435 posts, read 7,042,867 times

Advertisements

THE NEW NORMAL: TOYOTA RAV4 VS. HONDA CR-V VS. SUBARU FORESTER VS. NISSAN ROGUE AND FIVE OTHER CUVS

Choices choices, and more choices. However Motor Trend magazine has managed to help break it down for those considering a compact SUV.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 05:02 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,189,171 times
Quote:
Subarus have traditionally had a utilitarian charm going for them—they've been a bit underpowered, but they typically ride and handle wonderfully. The big new Forester maintains its underpowered tendencies to a fault; unfortunately, it doesn't deliver on the ride or handling qualities we expect from Subaru. "I'm pretty fed up with the ride after 20 minutes," Rechtin said. He's not alone. The Forester galumphs down the road like an old Cadillac, even the smallest of bumps making the Subaru porpoise on its bump stops. If a member of your family is prone to carsickness, move along.
I stopped reading this nonsense right there. Absolutely absurd.
The ride quality is actually quite good and the one I drove never hit a bump stop or wallowed.
What it is not is a "sport" utility.

I didn't continue reading to discover what other stupid crap they may have written.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:15 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,333,830 times
No mention of the CRV engine problems though.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...ngine-trouble/

Old 02-25-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I stopped reading this nonsense right there. Absolutely absurd.
The ride quality is actually quite good and the one I drove never hit a bump stop or wallowed.
What it is not is a "sport" utility.

I didn't continue reading to discover what other stupid crap they may have written.
Yes, think you stopped to soon.

“The Subaru Forester provides a thoughtfully designed cabin. Swing the wide-opening doors, and you'll find a utilitarian but high-quality space with an interesting mix of colors, textures, and materials. "It feels like you're getting your money's worth," Rechtin said. When it comes to design and features, the Subaru also scored high marks for its twin infotainment displays on the center stack. The Forester's cabin is especially roomy with a spacious back seat and cargo area and a yawning rear hatch. Its fishbowl-like greenhouse is perfect to take in the sights of a national park.

There are different methods to determine value. If you're seeking the rock-bottom price, it's difficult to beat our Subaru Forester Limited tester. At $31,770 as tested, it's not only the cheapest SUV in our group (just edging out the Honda CR-V) but also among the best equipped, with standard features such as all-wheel drive, automatic A/C, advanced driver-assist technologies, and a panoramic moonroof.

If we expand our perspective beyond the showroom floor, to IntelliChoice's five-year cost of ownership analysis, we find that the Forester is again tops here, with the CR-V hot on its heels.”

Oh and it got the best braking in its class.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:23 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,546,214 times
Put those cars in an AWD battle offroad, snow, ice tests and the Honda and Mazda might end of last places.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:31 PM

LOL Consumers do not purchase this type of a vehicle for that intent...by the way, some consumers still feel they can drive on ice which no vehicle can do.

“Our Big Tests are more about daily living than tearing up the track. As such, the winner has to be practical, and it must balance boring stuff like value, cost of ownership, safety, and efficiency. Still, it has to be rewarding to drive and own.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Put those cars in an AWD battle offroad, snow, ice tests and the Honda and Mazda might end of last places.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:35 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,189,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Yes, think you stopped to soon.

“The Subaru Forester provides a thoughtfully designed cabin. Swing the wide-opening doors, and you'll find a utilitarian but high-quality space with an interesting mix of colors, textures, and materials. "It feels like you're getting your money's worth," Rechtin said. When it comes to design and features, the Subaru also scored high marks for its twin infotainment displays on the center stack. The Forester's cabin is especially roomy with a spacious back seat and cargo area and a yawning rear hatch. Its fishbowl-like greenhouse is perfect to take in the sights of a national park.

There are different methods to determine value. If you're seeking the rock-bottom price, it's difficult to beat our Subaru Forester Limited tester. At $31,770 as tested, it's not only the cheapest SUV in our group (just edging out the Honda CR-V) but also among the best equipped, with standard features such as all-wheel drive, automatic A/C, advanced driver-assist technologies, and a panoramic moonroof.

If we expand our perspective beyond the showroom floor, to IntelliChoice's five-year cost of ownership analysis, we find that the Forester is again tops here, with the CR-V hot on its heels.”

Oh and it got the best braking in its class.
Well, it should've won then, because there's nothing wrong with the ride.
Plus it doesn't have a turbo, which they view as a negative. I don't.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:55 PM

3,317 posts, read 2,308,606 times
I've driven most of these small CUVs before and I didn't really feel there's that much difference between them, with the exception of the Mazda, which I felt was head and shoulders above the rest both in design and performance.

The Honda is rather forgettable and the interior is depressing to look at IMO. I get that they raved about the packaging and useable storage space, which is what you buy a CUV for, but I just don't see where it's a clear cut winner. They beat the Equinox up over it's interior looking cheap, but it looks better than the CR-V to me.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:01 PM

17,173 posts, read 12,018,870 times
Where's the Tiguan? Best selling compact suv worldwide.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,630,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
No mention of the CRV engine problems though.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...ngine-trouble/
Yeah...I think this should have been taken into consideration.

Not to suggest the CR-V is overall a bad vehicle but th e Car of the Year award has gone to some vehicles that ended up being among the worst of the worst...Vega, Citation, Mustang II, just to name a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive