Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:19 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times

Advertisements

Yet another Bloomberg article infused with the agenda of the writers and editors.

Bloomberg hasn't been a reliable source for unbiased business stories for quite some. They've hired a ton of left-leaning writers and editors, and it shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,140,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Still an opportunity cost, even though the overall cost is lower than not taking that job. Which is why it shouldn't be ignored.
Yes, but opportunity cost exists within a vacuum. Sure, I value my time at over $40 an hour; doesn't mean I can get paid that 24 hours a day.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:35 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,648,891 times
Quote:
It's called an opportunity cost in economics.
I don't disagree -- but that is not the only thing at play.

As a passenger in a typical Uber in a typical commute scenario, your time isn't really that productive. You're not going to be reading -- let alone writing -- research intensive reports requiring substantial concentration. You're not going to be on a client call discussing confidential information. Yeah, you can dispatch low-value-add emails - but in stop/go traffic staring at a laptop, you're subject to motion sickness.

It isn't like commuting on a train, for example.

Moreover, there is the consumption value of automobiles. Many of us find great pleasure in automobiles - even in stop/go traffic.

At the end of the day, a spirit-crushing commute is a spirit-crushing commute regardless who is driving.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:43 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Not everyone lives and works exclusively in an urban environment. In communities that have a successful taxi, bus, and or rail service then these ride share services will thrive. But when, not if, more predators use these services then expect less customers to use these services and expect less people willing to use their vehicle to transport strangers.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:51 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Here’s a different perspective. Prior to hurricane Katrina many poor people in New Orleans didn’t own a motor vehicle nor did they ever leave the city of New Orleans. Why buy a car when they could walk, ride a bicycle, take a city bus/trolley, or a cab. Everything they want was within the city. Then came Hurricane Katrina. Many of those trapped were without a vehicle. They were bused to other parts of the country.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:23 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Drivers don't set their rates. UBER does. Many drivers lose money.
Then the business model is doomed to fail.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:27 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Yes, but opportunity cost exists within a vacuum. Sure, I value my time at over $40 an hour; doesn't mean I can get paid that 24 hours a day.
I'm not saying it is. I'm saying with a 30 hour per month commute (45 minutes to work), you actually are spending 190 hours of your time for your employer, who is paying you for 160 hours, that's out of 672 available monthly hours (4 weeks). I'm not suggesting you are worth your hourly rate x 672 hours, I'm saying you devalue your employment hours by commuting in a way that you cannot gain any other benefit from that other than getting to your place of employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I don't disagree -- but that is not the only thing at play.

As a passenger in a typical Uber in a typical commute scenario, your time isn't really that productive. You're not going to be reading -- let alone writing -- research intensive reports requiring substantial concentration. You're not going to be on a client call discussing confidential information. Yeah, you can dispatch low-value-add emails - but in stop/go traffic staring at a laptop, you're subject to motion sickness.

It isn't like commuting on a train, for example.

Moreover, there is the consumption value of automobiles. Many of us find great pleasure in automobiles - even in stop/go traffic.

At the end of the day, a spirit-crushing commute is a spirit-crushing commute regardless who is driving.
I'm not suggesting you work on your commute, why would you? If you were driving for the commute, you're not doing any of those things either. The aim should be recovery of a portion or all of your commute as personal time, doesn't matter if its drinking a cup of coffee reading your newsfeed, or playing Candy Crush. I mean I'm a complete gear head but the one thing I've always hated is my commute, because it doesn't matter how nice you car is, you're spending too much time crawling along in traffic, and any time crawling is too much time.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:33 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Still an opportunity cost, even though the overall cost is lower than not taking that job. Which is why it shouldn't be ignored.
I have two kids under 5. My commute time in the car alone is my “me time”.
The sooner I get home the sooner I go back to being a man servant to some toddlers.

Old 03-01-2019, 08:55 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I have two kids under 5. My commute time in the car alone is my “me time”.
The sooner I get home the sooner I go back to being a man servant to some toddlers.
Then you personally consider the opportunity cost low, or even of benefit. That's awesome for you, but don't expect everyone to think the same.

Old 03-01-2019, 09:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Then the business model is doomed to fail.
The drivers are independent contractors. Many try it for a month or two to see if the numbers work. If they don't, they simply stop being a driver. UBER gets their money during that time regardless.

UBER's long game is to have autonomous vehicles providing the rides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive