Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:17 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Good lord this nonsense again? Talk about out of touch. The only people who don't own cars are homeless people and otherwise simple folk.
Never lived in a big city have you? Even in Minneapolis I knew a few classmates that sold their cars. They lived a short walk from the bus line to work, a short walk to the Grocery store. Most of them bought cars again after they took a different job that required it, or got married and moved out of the urban complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 12:29 PM

679 posts, read 812,320 times
The car is your freedom, I cant see everyone giving that up.

Yes, in some urban areas it might be a luxury, but live where I do, and its not.

I tend to keep my vehicles long time by maintaining them. Once you pay them off, they are valuable as transportation.

I have two I could pass down to my heirs right now if I wanted to, but they also have their own vehicles. There's no hurry to give up cars in my family.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:02 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Never lived in a big city have you? Even in Minneapolis I knew a few classmates that sold their cars. They lived a short walk from the bus line to work, a short walk to the Grocery store. Most of them bought cars again after they took a different job that required it, or got married and moved out of the urban complex.
No “big” cities. Just Jacksonville Fl, Orlando, Houston, Memphis, Chicago, and Tokyo.

Otherwise exactly. Everybody knows some kids who uses a bus once. What you don’t see is a family taking a bus. There’s a reason SUV’s are so popular.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:16 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
I resolved the problem of shoveling snow when I moved south in 1972. We love riding in our convertible.

I have never ridden in a school bus ever.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:22 AM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Hmmm, what about the police and giving citations if people do not have cars. They'll be issuing citations for noise violations, loitering, littering, public disturbances, you name it. And would a driverless car be able to be given a citation if it crossed a double line or failed to yield or exceeded the speed limit?
The car is here to stay but these are some interesting things to think about.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:17 AM

732 posts, read 390,877 times
It's hard to beat the personal security you get with private transportation, even in an area with mass transit.

It isn't like US cities are as orderly as Tokyo.

In terms of police, it's a thing I've thought about. In a world of robot cars, 1/2 of the job of police (maybe more) disappears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive