Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,094,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
When I went to buy my new van, I said I wanted payments to be around $250 or less for 4 or 5 years. They couldn't do that.
So you were trying to finance 15k?

All I asked for was 0% and got it! I'd bet you couldv'e got the terms you wanted if you had proper credit and down payment.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:52 AM

5,340 posts, read 14,084,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Cars and trucks are just stupid money today. I would like to replace my 02 F150 but option for option I'm looking about $65,000. When I sold cars we used the rule of $20 per thousand and that worked out pretty good when ball parking a 60 month loan so if I could get that truck down to $60,000 with no money down I'd be looking at $1200 per month !

$1200 per month is like a mortgage payment on a house. Real estate generally appreciates while a new vehicle drops off in value pretty quick.

No thanks. I will be keeping my old truck as long as possible even the average $551 is pretty steep.
Get real. Apples and Oranges. My local dealer has a 2019 Platinum crew cab FX4 4x4 with every option for $59k (MSRP over $68k). No matter what version of the 2002 you have it does not compare. These new top end trucks are like super luxury vehicles with bells and whistles beyond belief. You can get a nicely equipped new F150 for more like $40-$45k.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
New-car buyers agreed to pay an average of $551 per month for 69 months in January, according to car-buying advice site Edmunds. That’s nearly 10 percent more per month than three years earlier.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ts/3001818002/
well whoop de doo.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
That is why I am 35 and still have yet to finance any cars. I paid cash for my 2010 Corolla, and I paid cash for my 2019 Audi A5 Sportback. I refused to be one of those people that pay 500-600 dollars a month for an object that depreciates every year.
So paying cash is some kind of huge difference from financing? Auto loan rates can be had in the 3's. That audi is going to depreciate heavily either way. Far more than the average vehicle too.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:59 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,864,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I have a net worth close to two mil and have a 24 year old car I've had for fifteen years. It runs well and I fix it myself when it does break down for little cost.

I honestly don't care if others think I drive a busted up old car.
I’m sure your cats you leave your $2M to will appreciate your sacrifice.

I honestly don’t care if you have $2M and a busted old car. It’s sad, but I still don’t care.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:05 AM

940 posts, read 963,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post

I honestly don’t care if you have $2M and a busted old car. It’s sad, but I still don’t care.
I love it. First car I ever drove, I learned to drive in it. Was my mom's car, we took many family vacations in it. I had planned to also pass it down to my kid but I haven't had any yet (wife can't). I brought my dog home in it, and brought her to the vet 15 years later for the last time in it, her smudges are still on the back windows (can't bring myself to clean them off). Lots of fond memories, I will be sorry to see it go when the time comes. It's getting close.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
There's nothing wrong with that...cars aren't your thing so you scrimp on the cars and probably have something else you indulge in...point being that no one has the right to denigrate you for your choices if you're taking care of yourself.

Which is what the OP did with this thread and others have attempted as well...They thought they were cute and tried to SKOOL us!
People on these threads always seem so proud of what they don’t spend on their cars, but for all we know they just spend it on prostitues and crack. People are entitled to their vices, but I don’t get why they feel the need to preach it unless they’re looking for public acceptance to justify their decisions.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:08 AM

940 posts, read 963,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
There's nothing wrong with that...cars aren't your thing so you scrimp on the cars and probably have something else you indulge in...point being that no one has the right to denigrate you for your choices if you're taking care of yourself.

Which is what the OP did with this thread and others have attempted as well...They thought they were cute and tried to SKOOL us!
Funny thing, I have always wanted a 911...when the time came to buy one and I could afford it I just stopped caring. Once you can buy pretty much anything you have dreamed about it loses its appeal. I care much more about time off and enjoying my life on my own terms, I've seen too many older folks work their lives away.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
I love it. First car I ever drove, I learned to drive in it. Was my mom's car, we took many family vacations in it. I had planned to also pass it down to my kid but I haven't had any yet (wife can't). I brought my dog home in it, and brought her to the vet 15 years later for the last time in it, her smudges are still on the back windows (can't bring myself to clean them off). Lots of fond memories, I will be sorry to see it go when the time comes. It's getting close.
Sorry to hear that. A friend of mine has a keepsake car like that. The good news is you can still buy another car and stash that one in the garage. Live a little.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:16 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,094,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post

In their defense, they probably have something that we or others might consider a waste but it's their money and it seems they're handling it well so it's not anyone's business how they spend it.

It irks me when people do that!

I'm not exaggerating here, After I bought my current car, I had two different people argue with me, that I should've got a loan from my credit union instead of FCA because the rates are lower! This is AFTER telling them repeatedly that my interest rate is 0%...both kept insisting that credit union loans have better terms. WTF?

How do you beat 0%. What terms? I wanted 0% and no payoff penalty....which they never have on 0% loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive