Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 07:03 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Asbestos has not been used in brake shoes or pads in over 30 years.
Look at the year of the vehicle they were do the brakes on it was a 1987 Nissan Truck.

Under federal law, asbestos brake production is supposed to stop in 1993 and auto manufacturers are supposed to stop using it in new cars by 1995.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 07:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times
You got the flu. Asbestos exposure doesn’t have any such symptoms and it’s not gonna happen overnight

Old 03-04-2019, 07:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,627,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Look at the year of the vehicle they were do the brakes on it was a 1987 Nissan Truck.

Under federal law, asbestos brake production is supposed to stop in 1993 and auto manufacturers are supposed to stop using it in new cars by 1995.
I seriously doubt this truck still had pads from the 90's on it (tho it's possible).

What was the mileage on the truck?

Old 03-04-2019, 11:37 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzrut View Post
I recently did work on the rear brakes of a 1987 nissan truck. The parking brake wasn't working and had to take the rear drums off. I had the rear end of the truck jacked up high and I then hit the rear drums off with a hammer cause they were rusted on. Both drums spilled fine powdery brake dust on the garage floor. It concerned me when I saw how much brake dust was on the floor when it was all said and done. I then looked online and read that brake shoes have asbestos in them since 1995 or earlier. I put it all back together, but the next day I got really sick. Bloody nose, sinus inflamed, sore throat, aching muscles, extreme tiredness. Also I noticed I had a metal taste in my mouth after doing the brakes so I'm assuming the brake dust was airborne? Its been a week now since I started having these symptoms. I went to the doctor and they didnt know what it was they gave me a strep throat test then basically said if it dont get better come back in a week or two? Anyways I'm kind of mad I was never taught brakes are made out of asbestos, and you should use a wet method when doing drum brakes. And I've been really sick because I did it wrong literally feel like I'm dying.

Has anyone experienced this before? Becoming sick after being exposed to brake dust? I am concerned now because I'm so sick, but also in the future because of asbestos
Those aren't the signs of exposure to asbestos fibers. As for the taste in your mouth, it is not from asbestos. In fact, there aren't discernible taste nor smell from asbestos.

If you want to be on the safe side you can use a HEPA vacuum cleaner that has both a HEPA filter and a collection bag. Water is not used for brake work unless you can have a holding tank or drum to hold the asbestos-containing water. You just can't let it flow all over the floor since the asbestos fibers will disperse in the air when the water dries.

For those who want to know if asbestos brake lining are still being used in the US, look at the EPA list of products that are banned, and one's that aren't:
https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/us-federal-bans-asbestos

Old 03-05-2019, 04:48 AM

My lord people it takes a hell of a lot more asbestos than a one time brake job to give you asbestos poisoning. If in doubt go to the darn hospital or see your dr but give him time to stop laughing first.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 AM

1,062 posts, read 967,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
My lord people it takes a hell of a lot more asbestos than a one time brake job to give you asbestos poisoning. If in doubt go to the darn hospital or see your dr but give him time to stop laughing first.
Uh no, that's not how it works. People exposed to very tiny amounts of asbestos that they are totally unaware of get lung cancer. It sounds like the OP may have been exposed to a huge amount. The fibers then stay in your lungs forever and constantly contribute to your risk for cancer. It's not about "years of exposure" or something, it's about the physical presence of the fibers. He should probably see a doctor

Old 03-05-2019, 07:51 AM

3,912 posts, read 5,131,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Asbestos has not been used in brake shoes or pads in over 30 years.
Not true.

https://www.freedoniagroup.com/Conte...ht-Not-Realize

Old 03-05-2019, 08:16 AM

1,062 posts, read 967,602 times
Short term high levels of exposure are known to cause cancer. The posts saying that one huge exposure is harmless are totally ignorant. Lung cancer is killing a lot of 9/11 first responders

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/...tos-fact-sheet

Quote:
How are asbestos-related diseases detected?

Individuals who have been exposed (or suspect they have been exposed) to asbestos fibers on the job, through the environment, or at home via a family contact should inform their doctor about their exposure history and whether or not they experience any symptoms. The symptoms of asbestos-related diseases may not become apparent for many decades after the exposure. It is particularly important to check with a doctor if any of the following symptoms develop:

Shortness of breath, wheezing, or hoarseness
A persistent cough that gets worse over time
Blood in the sputum (fluid) coughed up from the lungs
Pain or tightening in the chest

Difficulty swallowing
Swelling of the neck or face
Loss of appetite
Weight loss
Fatigue or anemia
A thorough physical examination, including a chest x-ray and lung function tests, may be recommended. The chest x-ray is currently the most common tool used to detect asbestos-related diseases. Although chest x-rays cannot detect asbestos fibers in the lungs, they can help identify any early signs of lung disease resulting from asbestos exposure (2).

A lung biopsy, which detects microscopic asbestos fibers in pieces of lung tissue removed by surgery, is the most reliable test to confirm exposure to asbestos (2). A bronchoscopy is a less invasive test than a biopsy and detects asbestos fibers in material that is rinsed out of the lungs (2). It is important to note that these procedures cannot determine how much asbestos an individual may have been exposed to or whether disease will develop. Asbestos fibers can also be detected in urine, mucus, and feces, but these tests are not reliable for determining how much asbestos may be in an individual’s lungs (2).

https://www.asbestosnetwork.com/High...echanics.shtml

Quote:
Mechanics who service and repair brakes and clutches risk heavy exposure to asbestos. Using a compressed air hose to clean drum brakes can release millions of asbestos fibers in the air around the mechanic's face. Even hitting a brake drum with a hammer can release fibers.

Besides being highly likely to breath in asbestos fibers, mechanics can get asbestos on their hands, swallowing small particles when eating. And once released into the air, asbestos lingers in the shop and can be breathed by customers as well as by the mechanics. The mechanic may also carry asbestos dust home on work clothing, endangering family members.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Uh no, that's not how it works. People exposed to very tiny amounts of asbestos that they are totally unaware of get lung cancer. It sounds like the OP may have been exposed to a huge amount. The fibers then stay in your lungs forever and constantly contribute to your risk for cancer. It's not about "years of exposure" or something, it's about the physical presence of the fibers. He should probably see a doctor
My father was ripping sheets of asbestos with no mask in the 60’s at GM Fisher Body the asbestos was used to line the shores for molten magnesium that was used to make door hinges back then and he was in WWll around steam pipes covered in asbestos he never got cancer. What is a doctor going to do put him in a hospital for a lung biopsy come on now that’s ridiculous and my older brother is a master mechanic been working on cars since the 1970s so he has done allot of brake jobs on older vehicles that had asbestos brake shoes and he’s ok . People are to hysterical these days and lawsuit happy.

Last edited by easy62; 03-05-2019 at 09:10 AM..

Old 03-05-2019, 12:04 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,225,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzrut View Post
I recently did work on the rear brakes of a 1987 nissan truck. The parking brake wasn't working and had to take the rear drums off. I had the rear end of the truck jacked up high and I then hit the rear drums off with a hammer cause they were rusted on. Both drums spilled fine powdery brake dust on the garage floor. It concerned me when I saw how much brake dust was on the floor when it was all said and done. I then looked online and read that brake shoes have asbestos in them since 1995 or earlier. I put it all back together, but the next day I got really sick. Bloody nose, sinus inflamed, sore throat, aching muscles, extreme tiredness. Also I noticed I had a metal taste in my mouth after doing the brakes so I'm assuming the brake dust was airborne? Its been a week now since I started having these symptoms. I went to the doctor and they didnt know what it was they gave me a strep throat test then basically said if it dont get better come back in a week or two? Anyways I'm kind of mad I was never taught brakes are made out of asbestos, and you should use a wet method when doing drum brakes. And I've been really sick because I did it wrong literally feel like I'm dying.

Has anyone experienced this before? Becoming sick after being exposed to brake dust? I am concerned now because I'm so sick, but also in the future because of asbestos
Good reminder to ALWAYS wear a dust mask or respirator when working on these types of brakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive