Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 01:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

Most domestics if they are trucks or SUVs should have no problems running past 200k but for passenger cars that varies greatly. That is where domestic get such bad reps are the econo badges that are meant to break down when it hits 90k-120k.

Japanese cars can hit 200k from the cheapest model to their top of the line that's why they've earned their reputation. A Corolla can run past 200k while a Chevy Cobalt can't make it to 60k without a problem.

Then there are Euros like VWs that can't even make it to 40k without a repair. VW Atlas was such an unreliable SUV that most people experience problems under 10k before break in period. Most BMWs and Audis are reliable up to 100k before some major maintenance scare usually send the owner dumping the car. Imagine when the free oil changes are over after 5 years then the BMW/Merc owner drives into service and the bill comes to be $3000+ for scheduled maint. work. I know my co-worker almost had a heart attack when they told him his 10k old SL330 needs brake service and other engine adjustment and the bill was $7k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 02:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
We have a 2003 Chevy Astro van with 178,000 + miles on it. It will live to at least 200,000 miles.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:41 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,752,342 times
The Americans are very good at trucks, so why can't they just spend a little bit more time with their cars? I just don't like how the compact trucks (or i guess mid-size these days) American trucks all have turbo 4s and only the Toyota Tacoma has a nice V6.

Audi has stepped up their game recently, and seems like BMW is slacking. Not so sure about MB.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
The Americans are very good at trucks, so why can't they just spend a little bit more time with their cars? I just don't like how the compact trucks (or i guess mid-size these days) American trucks all have turbo 4s and only the Toyota Tacoma has a nice V6.

Audi has stepped up their game recently, and seems like BMW is slacking. Not so sure about MB.
Colorado and Canyon can both be had with a 3.6 V6.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 PM

732 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post

I believe the Chevrolet Colorado has a V6 (although a 5.3 V8 was available in prior years).

It seems like it's been some time since anyone made a 'compact' pickup. I never really saw the advantage in the non-fullsize ones anyway.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:05 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
My 2001 Silverado truck has a 350 Vortex V8, and 203,000 miles already. Makes a little noise for about 8 seconds on cold starts (sounds like lifters noise), but runs smooth as butter after. Noes not burn oil, and everything works with this truck. Very comfortable on long drives, and relatively good on fuel on the open road. I bought it when it had around 180,000 miles.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:11 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
Remember guys, American automakers were great at building big cars and big trucks for decades, they simply never really made reliable small cars that were well put together and lasted forever like say a little Toyo Corolla.

It’s just not their specialty nor where the money is. That is why I would never recommend buying a small compact Chevy/Ford/Dodge vehicle just because the quality isn’t there and knowing that the companies don’t focus too much on reliability on their smaller cars like say Honda and Toyota, it’s best to stick with their midsize vehicles if you ever buy a domestic.

The quality gap has honestly become so tight these days, that there isn’t much of a difference between brands anymore. Manufacturing practices, and robotics has pretty much eliminated faulty construction problems universally for every automaker. What still separates certain brands is quality of materials used and obviously design and engineering of the vehicle itself.

From what I can tell in recent years and can be a long term reliability issue after DI engines start approaching 150K is all the carbon build up will make them run like crap especially if one doesn’t change their oil frequently and uses regular conventional oil which is bad for DI engines.

Even using full-Syn, and the manufacturer says it’s ok to change the oil at 5-7,000 miles, personally to keep fuel dilution low and the oil as clean as possible, I’d change the oil much sooner than that. I would still stick with the 3,000 mile rule because of that specific issue with the intake valves clogging up and the oil getting dirtier much faster than on a basic ported fuel injected engine.

That’s JMO.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:01 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I have yet to own a GM that can go beyond 50K without a major repair.....and I follow Maintenance Schedule and service by selling dealer......yet I always buy GM.....what a dumb arse I am
Just the statement that a car can go over 200K miles does not mean it does it without some major repair ...

We had a 1987 Toyota van and it went 387K miles before we dumped it because the repair would have been too much money. We have all the records of the maintenance and repairs done and we came up with an average cost of 750 dollars per year on maintenance and repairs (which included wear and tear parts like battery and tires).
All the electrical wiring dried out and need to be replaced, which would have been a huge major undertaking.

Our neighbour ended up with it and he parted the bugger out and made about 1500 dollars ...

Old 03-11-2019, 04:28 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Most domestics if they are trucks or SUVs should have no problems running past 200k but for passenger cars that varies greatly. That is where domestic get such bad reps are the econo badges that are meant to break down when it hits 90k-120k.

Japanese cars can hit 200k from the cheapest model to their top of the line that's why they've earned their reputation. A Corolla can run past 200k while a Chevy Cobalt can't make it to 60k without a problem.

Then there are Euros like VWs that can't even make it to 40k without a repair. VW Atlas was such an unreliable SUV that most people experience problems under 10k before break in period. Most BMWs and Audis are reliable up to 100k before some major maintenance scare usually send the owner dumping the car. Imagine when the free oil changes are over after 5 years then the BMW/Merc owner drives into service and the bill comes to be $3000+ for scheduled maint. work. I know my co-worker almost had a heart attack when they told him his 10k old SL330 needs brake service and other engine adjustment and the bill was $7k
Did he actually look at the brake pads himself? If you stick your smart phone between your spokes you can get a good view... I bet there's still a lot of meat left on those brakes.

Typical of Land Rover dealers, too.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:18 PM

170 posts, read 176,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Seriously, 110,000 miles is not a lot by the standards of today's vehicles.

I own a Ford Explorer which is not particularly known for being maintenance free. Yet, I've had exactly one major repair in 168,000 miles.

All car brands are much better made than they were thirty years ago. Someone would have to tell me a story about a car they put 250,000 miles on without costly repairs before I would be too impressed.
I have 300,000 on my 2005 Acura TL AT with original engine and original transmission.

Bought it new. Skipped the first year (2004) of the 3rd Generation Acura TL (and the 2004 transmission problems). Had Acura do all the fluid changes per the maintenance minder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive