Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 08:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,398,918 times

Advertisements

What work is the computer doing for me in 2019 that it didn't do in say 1980? I drive lower to mid trim levels. The experience of driving hasn't changed much.

I get in, put the key in the ignition, turn, put the car in gear and drive. Where's the computer in all of that?

I turn my head to check for right of way, backing up, etc. Where's the computer?

I don't drive models with lane assist, accident avoidance braking, etc because I don't buy those trim levels.

The crap in the console/infotainment system is irrelevant. I just listen to the regular radio.

So what do you think computers are doing for drivers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 08:59 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
Nope. I love my high tech vehicles.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 AM

6,975 posts, read 5,296,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Speaking of going back and revisiting - maybe you want to reread the passage that you quoted. I am not against electronic systems or wanting to go back to old school cars. You might also want to consider that the top trim levels of cars invariably weigh a couple of hundred pounds more than the base models - they have more crap in them.
Was the same back in the 70’s also the more added features will always add weight to any vehicle. I’m saying that electronics have also reduced weight in all vehicles to. They have replaced mechanical components and replace them with lighter microchip computer brain boxes. You take the carburetor, and the extra fan pulls and belts, and the power steering pumps off and that reduces weight. Sure the more topend vehicle will add a little more weight than a strip down vehicle there’s no getting around that. But it is what it is vehicles are going to get more computers and there’s no going back in time.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What work is the computer doing for me in 2019 that it didn't do in say 1980? I drive lower to mid trim levels. The experience of driving hasn't changed much.

I get in, put the key in the ignition, turn, put the car in gear and drive. Where's the computer in all of that?

I turn my head to check for right of way, backing up, etc. Where's the computer?

I don't drive models with lane assist, accident avoidance braking, etc because I don't buy those trim levels.

The crap in the console/infotainment system is irrelevant. I just listen to the regular radio.

Let’s see did you have auto stop if someone ran out in front of you, or did you have lane departure when you wanted to change lanes but could not see the car in you’re blind spot. Did you have TPM in your 1980’s or what about Bluetooth technology. Did you have eco mode in your 1980’s vehicle. Did you have electric steering or electric fan. Did you have a GDI engine like most are today.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:47 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,165,406 times
Quote:

...They still make cars where you have to turn a key???

LOL

Old 03-07-2019, 09:48 AM

4,523 posts, read 4,780,453 times
Quote:

In every single step.
The key has a chip in it that deactivates the anti-theft system that lowers your car insurance.
Turning the ignition requires the electric switch on the shifter to indicate neutral or park.
Starting the car:
The computer retards the timing to make starting easier.
The computer controls the COP ignition system
The computer tells the fuel pump how much fuel at which pressure to supply
After starting, the computer advances the timing
As you shift into drive, he computer controls the electronic valve body in your transmission to allow the car to move
Quote:

Controlling the fuel, spark, and transmission. Allowing the car to move.
Your radio also has a computer. It's running the display, it's controlling which source is playing, and how much power is transmitted to the speakers. It's a very small simple computer.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:53 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,613,014 times
I’d like to see some vehicles designed to accept iPhones/iPads and similar, directly into the car’s electronics. It would automatically know the contacts, routes, music, etc. of whoever is driving the car. Maybe they even have this now, I haven’t kept up.

I have too many minor little problems with computers and software still for me to trust a lot of these systems that take control of the car. I would be way too nervous with that to travel that way.

24,204 posts, read 16,893,747 times
I think many of the auto electronics are a positive such as traction control but I think that some of the more recent ones are ridiculous and they are dumbing down the average driver such as the systems that prevent a collision with a pedestrian or another car. PEOPLE you need to pay attention when you are driving and remember when your Mom told you to look both ways before crossing the road? It still applies yet people get hit by cars all the time.

I am all for electronics that make people safer drivers but I'm not for anything that allows them to be less attentive.

4,523 posts, read 4,780,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Let’s see did you have auto stop if someone ran out in front of you, or did you have lane departure when you wanted to change lanes but could not see the car in you’re blind spot. Did you have TPM in your 1980’s or what about Bluetooth technology. Did you have eco mode in your 1980’s vehicle. Did you have electric steering or electric fan. Did you have a GDI engine like most are today.
I'd guess most cars in 80 had carbs. Most of those weren't computer controlled either - the first electronically controlled GM carb came out in 81

Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
...They still make cars where you have to turn a key???

LOL
Yep my wife 2016 Kia Sorento has a key ignition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive