Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like your car?
Electronic/computer-oriented 44 37.61%
Hand-operated/mechanical 73 62.39%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 PM

732 posts, read 390,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It doesn’t bother me but it is refreshing to get in my 2004 VW Passat occasionally and drive and marvel at the simplicity of the dash and gauges, very clean compared to my new car.
Be careful driving it. Evidently they are far more dangerous than a new car.

(I keed. I keed.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 03:45 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
I'm good with electronics to a point. I don't like being gouged for diagnostics for simple fixes. i hate that things aren't simple fixes either. BUT a lot of these safety features makes stupid people better drivers (stupid means you don't know how to drive very well or you're too busy paying attention to your phone, kids, dogs, etc to watch what is going on around you) and that keeps me safer from them. I'm conflicted.

I'm not good with all the stupid touch screen stuff. I drove a Ford Flex rental and even adjusting the temperature meant taking my eyes off the road, completely, to either find the right screen or touch the button that no, you can't really feel w/o turning other things on/off (they're all touch buttons). Very very very dangerous. I had to take my eyes of the road so much to do stupid simple things. Bad idea.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:59 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
It occurred to me today that one of the great ironies of our age is that we hear constantly about the evils of using a cell phone while driving, while at the same time the car manufacturers have decided to stick a great big ol' cell phone equivalent right in the middle of practically all new dashes.

Funny thing, that.
Not really. I just talk to my infotainment unit.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:18 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
It occurred to me today that one of the great ironies of our age is that we hear constantly about the evils of using a cell phone while driving, while at the same time the car manufacturers have decided to stick a great big ol' cell phone equivalent right in the middle of practically all new dashes.

Funny thing, that.
Yes it is funny it’s designed to help drivers yet it’s still henders them.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:48 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times
Quote:

Funny thing, that.

And that's tied into the new safety regulation that all new cars will have to have backup cameras. Those cameras have to have screens that are in your field of view, and instantly switch to the camera when put in reverse. So the regulations won't allow screens low in the dash and motorized screens that hide away anymore. Thus iPads sticking out the top of the dash.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:09 PM

6,361 posts, read 4,184,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
Pretty much nothing.

Although I am a fan of knobs and buttons for basic HVAC and radio stuff. Touchscreen displays are cool, but for actual operation I like knobs for basic stuff.

I don't romanticize the past.
I agree, why go backwards ❓ From all of my experiences I’ve only experienced breakdowns with older cars, that were allegedly simpler, no computers or fuel injection and they were relatively new, low mileage cars that were not reliable.

I’m more than happy with the recent Toyota’s and Honda’s that I have owned and experienced ZERO issues ❗️

Old 03-11-2019, 08:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
And that's tied into the new safety regulation that all new cars will have to have backup cameras. Those cameras have to have screens that are in your field of view, and instantly switch to the camera when put in reverse. So the regulations won't allow screens low in the dash and motorized screens that hide away anymore. Thus iPads sticking out the top of the dash.

iPad type screens are a fad, not a bureaucratic mandate. My wife's 2018 Subaru has the screen in the center stack. Same with the 2019 models. Personally, I hate the iPad screens. They look ugly and as if they were an afterthought.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:55 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
iPad type screens are a fad, not a bureaucratic mandate. My wife's 2018 Subaru has the screen in the center stack. Same with the 2019 models. Personally, I hate the iPad screens. They look ugly and as if they were an afterthought.
I don't have a crystal ball any more than you do, but if I had to place a bet, I'd bet that these things aren't going anywhere. They've been in two generations of cars already, and the latest car models that represent full redesigns involve larger screens and more functions. Cell phone integration is also getting tighter. For my own part, I love the Apple CarPlay, but I'd like better integration so I could just fully drive the cellphone through the infotainment screen, microphone and speakers, rather than just having selected apps like Waze reproduced for me now...

Old 03-11-2019, 09:35 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Whats Apple Car Play?

Old 03-11-2019, 09:49 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Whats Apple Car Play?
It's a very useful feature of car infotainment systems, if you have an iPhone - similar integration exists for Android phones, called Android Auto.

I don't need a Navigation system in the car. Yes, I can run Google Maps or Waze straight from my phone, but with Apple Carplay they display on the main infotainment screen, and I can use the infotainment touch screen for touch-input, or better yet, just tap the microphone button on my steering wheel and tell Apple's "Siri" where I want to go. It also lets me accept texts that come in while I'm driving and read them on the info screen, and again I can use the touchscreen to reply, or just dictate my reply to Siri with a tap on the steering wheel button; calls coming in, I can just tap the button on the wheel and take them on the fly using the car mic and speakers. Of course, someone will say "you don't need that". It's not only a far more convenient way to access these functions in the car though, it's far safer - you don't need to dig around for the phone, you see the info on a big screen just below windshield level - much easier to read and don't have to take eyes fully off the road, plus you barely need to use your hands (or look) at all if you want to just use Siri and the mic and speakers - far safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive