Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 11:22 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,080,754 times

Advertisements

For some reason, all my family members and friends never carry their own car jump starters, especially where I live, Canada, where it can get very cold and cars are much more sensitive to needing jump starts therefore.

The last 3 months, I came to boost everyone I know pretty much and this led me to think, why don't people just by their own car jump starters?

Then they wouldn't have to wait on other people to come help, every time this happened. Is it cause they don't want to spend the money even though they are not hugely expensive, and are worth it? Or what's the reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 01:48 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,865,451 times
Money, space, the thought that "this time I'll get my battery replaced to keep fresh before it dies" (never works out that way), "I'll get one next month when I have the funds" (month turns to never!), etc...

Yep, pretty much sums up why I don't have one!

Old 03-08-2019, 04:38 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,412,072 times
How about maybe they don't trust that they would work anyways, so what's the point of wasting the money?

That's the camp I'm in. I just don't see how a tiny battery with tiny wires sticking out of it that has been sitting in my trunk for 3 years can have enough power to get my car going when it's super cold outside. I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if it could.

Even trying to jump a dead car with another running vehicle doesn't work very easily sometimes.

What's the CCA of the average jump pack?

Old 03-08-2019, 05:33 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,565,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
For some reason, all my family members and friends never carry their own car jump starters, especially where I live, Canada, where it can get very cold and cars are much more sensitive to needing jump starts therefore.

The last 3 months, I came to boost everyone I know pretty much and this led me to think, why don't people just by their own car jump starters?

Then they wouldn't have to wait on other people to come help, every time this happened. Is it cause they don't want to spend the money even though they are not hugely expensive, and are worth it? Or what's the reason?
Same reason people need drivers aids the ability to think or do for themselves is all about gone.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,699,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
How about maybe they don't trust that they would work anyways, so what's the point of wasting the money?

That's the camp I'm in. I just don't see how a tiny battery with tiny wires sticking out of it that has been sitting in my trunk for 3 years can have enough power to get my car going when it's super cold outside. I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if it could.

Even trying to jump a dead car with another running vehicle doesn't work very easily sometimes.

What's the CCA of the average jump pack?
They actually do work. It may not start a car with a completely dead battery, but if it’s weak it’ll be enough to boost it. I have used my Jump-N-Go for plenty of things, including my scooter, lawn mower, and generator.

They do need to be charged occasionally though, so you can’t just leave it in your trunk for three years.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:13 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,027,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Same reason people need drivers aids the ability to think or do for themselves is all about gone.
^^^^

Most people don't view driving as something they should put any thought or preparation into.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,080,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They actually do work. It may not start a car with a completely dead battery, but if it’s weak it’ll be enough to boost it. I have used my Jump-N-Go for plenty of things, including my scooter, lawn mower, and generator.

They do need to be charged occasionally though, so you can’t just leave it in your trunk for three years.
Yeah it works for me, and I don't see why they wouldn't work. If you keep it in your car when it's very cold out, than it might day, but you just got to take it with you, when you leave the house on a very cold day, that's all.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:51 AM

1,072 posts, read 791,322 times
Default No more battery trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Cold or Hot Weather just be prepared.

You would think in this day and age that car manufactures would install a digital battery readout on the dash on all cars rather then an idiot light and avoid all the need for jump starting cars. The cost for such a digital voltage gage would be less then a buck per car during manufacture. With that said, small digital voltage meters which plug into the cigarette lighter are available on Ebay, auto parts stores and big box stores for less then $5.00’s. If you get one and plug it in you will have no more surprises about the car battery’s ability to start your car.

Most non-hybrid cars driven work with 12 volt starting systems. Using your digital voltage meter mentioned above will provide you with two important readouts. The first when you get in your car and turn your key to the accessory position (without starting the car) the readout should be 11.9 to 12.7 for a healthy battery generally. The second important reading is after starting the car it should generally be from 13 volts to 14.5 volts. The reason the battery voltage is higher while running is the charging system is now supplying the additional power to run the cars lights, a/c, radio etc. The battery is also being charged while while the engine is running.

Extreme hot or cold weather is not good for a battery and you will now notice on cold mornings just how much your battery is drained over night just by the low temperatures. Just ask any electric car owner if the cars travel capability is affected by cold. So now with your digital voltage meter you have a crystal ball enabling you the avoid the dreaded dead battery and being late for school, work, etc. If you live in an area with extreme cold do what truckers do. Get a plug in block heater and every day will be summer for your car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_heater

Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,566,021 times
OP,
I think you are viewing this as a problem rather than an opportunity. In my area when someone has a dead battery we call the local garage which has a 24 hr towing service. My neighbor recently had a dead battery just before dark and called them. They arrived 15 minutes later and jumped her battery. Cost $60 and she was more than happy to pay it!

Old 03-08-2019, 07:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,127,556 times
Might make sense somewhere where it's really cold, not so much in milder climate. I live where low 30's are average in the winter, you'll get spates of 0 degree weather for a few days. Hard to justify the cost of jump starter for something I might never need. I did buy one for my Father once but he had larger boat he was taking out in the Chesapeake, probably used the compressor more than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive