Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

Quick question about this - I have a trickle charger (Schumburger XM1-5-CA https://www.batterychargers.com/en/p...tic-maintainer)

I just bought a new motorcycle battery (YTX9-BS) https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/ytx9-bs/

The battery requires acid to be installed before use and then sealed, the instructions are pretty straightforward. The thing is that I live in a 1bd apt. but it has a balcony. I plan to leave it for charging on my trickle charger on the balcony. I wanted to confirm if there are any safety issues with doing this.

I know people routinely charge stuff in a garage and battery off gas while charging but this is going to be outdoors and i'm ensuring that the weather is dry and the temps will be around 59F or so.

Also, I do charge smaller battery (cameras etc.) indoors like most people do but those are smaller batteries, I wasn't quite sure about larger batteries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
there's a big difference in the technology between your "smaller battery" and the lead-acid motorcycle battery.

the motorcycle battery will outgas hydrogen on charging, hence a concern about the gas in enclosed spaces.

charging the motorcycle battery on your balcony will be OK.

A small trickle charger should be ideal for this purpose.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:36 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I have read in Motorcycle Consumer News that "initializing" a new battery, i.e. charge it after you add acid and before you use it, will add to it's life. I have not done any detailed testing to confirm this, but I do generally "initialize" my M/C and car batteries.

Just make sure that squirrels or similar can't knock the battery over if you do the deed on your balcony. An alternative (if you live alone) might be to do the charging in your bathroom or other exhaust fan equipped area in your place.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:13 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have read in Motorcycle Consumer News that "initializing" a new battery, i.e. charge it after you add acid and before you use it, will add to it's life. I have not done any detailed testing to confirm this, but I do generally "initialize" my M/C and car batteries.

Just make sure that squirrels or similar can't knock the battery over if you do the deed on your balcony. An alternative (if you live alone) might be to do the charging in your bathroom or other exhaust fan equipped area in your place.
Just put a battery tender on it and you can leave it in the bike, a motorcycle battery is nothing to charge. Just put on charger and that’s it whe your ready to rider discount battery tender or charger and go. I had the battery tender on my bike all during the winter.
I’ve replaced many MC batteries in my life.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:58 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
thanks for the responses.

@easy62, I would've, unfortunately I don't have a power point in my garage - they are detached garages and it's a commercial apartment complex so the garage has no relationship to the electrical meter in my apartment.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:13 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

@easy62, I would've, unfortunately I don't have a power point in my garage - they are detached garages and it's a commercial apartment complex so the garage has no relationship to the electrical meter in my apartment.
Take the battery out and charge it in your apartment i lived in a townhouse with no garage and could not run an electric cord so took battery out and put battery tender on in the battery and let be in the house till i needed it. They are easy to remove and replace. Don’t worry about fumes it won’t happen.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

Is it enclosed garage? Is there a light bulb?
You can get a screw in adapter to plug in a cord and put the bulb back.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:02 PM

24,469 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Is it enclosed garage? Is there a light bulb?
You can get a screw in adapter to plug in a cord and put the bulb back.
That’s what I used to do when apt living.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
That’s what I used to do when apt living.
Lol. My buddy still does it.he wired in a breaker so he doesn’t pop the main. He has a little shop in his garage. All running off one 110v circuit

Old 03-15-2019, 03:17 AM

128 posts, read 66,160 times
If you are using a battery charger, a 10 amp charger will take 4 to 11 hours to fully charge the battery, a 2 amp charger will take 2-4 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive