Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Hybrid diesel/electric (bio-fuel) would be nice (been available in trains since 1925... or for last 20 yrs in autos @ 80+ mpg combined, but not able to import to USA or Canada) 250+mpg in the XL-1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_1-litre_car

Or, of course... Mr. Sharkey.. (Since 1980's) ahead of the times (as usual)
Mr.Sharkey's Pusher Trailer

EV Weblog: EV Pusher

Diesels are very efficient when used at constant load / service (such as a genset).

Of course Rudolf planned to ONLY use bio fuels, not Dino Diesel.

Maybe that is why he mysteriously disappeared on that Channel Crossing. (Crossed paths with the wrong guys / eating into profit potential. 10% efficient Steam and 40% efficient Gas Engines were being threatened by Rudolf's invention. ) http://time.com/4049401/diesel-disappearance/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-19-2019 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 11:57 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Well, I have tons of stock in Oil and Gas companies, so for me, ICE ICE baby!

SS
Wow that's risky.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:07 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I am sorry but the fact that EVs and hybrids are not naturally evolving and continue to be shoved down our faces shows they're not gonna make it into the road anytime soon

Actually I prefer it to having polluted air shoved down my and my children's faces

-Most hybrid and electric vehicle models always flop after a 8 to 10 year run

Since BEVs have barely been around 8 years, um nice generalization attempt

-The technology in ICE cars always improves much faster and better in the long run than that of EVs and Hybrids anyways so...

LOL. I just saw an article showing how fuel efficiency improvements have plateaued in ICE cars. Right buddy.

-You would be taxing the poor to death

Obviously EV incentives should go away at some point, like when they are cost competitive (almost there)

-Electric and hybrid vehicles have higher chances of igniting a fire on the outside

False

-Batteries can make it harder to replace

Harder to replace what?

-Making a hybrid and electric vehicle literally do more pollution than it does making a conventional vehicle

False. I mean seriously this is so ignorant it must be admonished. They do not, and in fact the main issue is the amount of energy that is required to make batteries. Luckily we can provide this energy in the form of renewables, so that whole point is taken away.

-How are you going to travel out of town?

300 miles, then charge up for 15 minutes while I used the bathroom and eat some food, then travel another 200 miles? Sorry 500 miles is enough for me in one day.

-The majority of the general public (regardless of ideology or lifestyle) still heavily prefers conventional cars sorry

But this is rapidly changing and there's nothing you can do about it, sorry

Yeah I am just annoyed by the "electric vehicle/hybrid" hype train, not buying it as they're just about as much of a fad as virtual reality and digital gaming are to video games

I'm annoyed by people's inability to see the future, obviously benefits to society of a certain technology, just because they are afraid.

Besides hardly anyone even bothers going outside anymore, people just buy air purifiers and can now smell fresh air without having to exit out of their home

This might be the dumbest thing I've read on this forum. Thanks a lot

How bout instead lets focus on natural compressed gas for now?

Nope, everyone is recognizing electric is the future now. Companies, governments. Its over

Or you know let the cars evolve naturally, is not the end of the world

The evolution is happening buddy boy

Cars are a necessity, it's authoratarian to just want to get all controlling about what kind of car you drive

I'll let you use lead paint in your house, unregulated pesticides in your bushes. Hey how about some Roundup in your coffee?

Why don't semis and locomotives get the same backlash? What about planes? Where is the outrage on lawn mowers, motorcycles and snowmobiles?

Dude, semis are going electric too. Planes aren't feasible yet, and others contribute but obviously aren't as big of a total polluter as cars

Yeah it's just a manipulation tactic, sorry not falling for it

You are on the wrong side of history

Instead why not regulate how much miles a person drives in a month? Sure that's not any better, but many people drive carelessly sometimes that they should get their monitored so... I rather have that then the former.
I get people are afraid of new technology. Just educate yourself over time and you'll come to the dark side.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:21 PM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Hybrid diesel/electric (bio-fuel) would be nice (been available in trains since 1925... or for last 20 yrs in autos @ 80+ mpg combined, but not able to import to USA or Canada) 250+mpg in the XL-1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_1-litre_car

Or, of course... Mr. Sharkey.. (Since 1980's) ahead of the times (as usual)
Mr.Sharkey's Pusher Trailer

EV Weblog: EV Pusher

Diesels are very efficient when used at constant load / service (such as a genset).

Of course Rudolf planned to ONLY use bio fuels, not Dino Diesel.

Maybe that is why he mysteriously disappeared on that Channel Crossing. (Crossed paths with the wrong guys / eating into profit potential. 10% efficient Steam and 40% efficient Gas Engines were being threatened by Rudolf's invention. ) The Mystery of the Diesel Engine's Disappearing Inventor | Time
I'm a hybrid fan, have owned several and would buy again. That said, I'd like to point out that the VW XL1 is a "250mpg" vehicle much like the Chevy Volt is a "100mpg" vehicle. It's 250MPGe, because it can run on battery for the entire test. Once on diesel alone it gets a paltry ~120mpg highway cruising.

Diesel has around 15% more energy content per gallon, and diesel engines tend to be a bit more efficient. My 2000 Honda Insight is a little larger and a bit less slippery than the XL1, runs on gasoline, and will turn over around 100mpg on the highway on level grade and good weather. Mixed driving I've done as well as 86mpg over 800 miles.

Be careful of MPGe figures.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Wow that's risky.
Not really. Investors know there is enough dependency to support a semi-long bet on petroleum. Those who are not politically swayed to invest only in green energy, and actually want to make a profit, do exactly that.

For every TSLA stock out there, there are 10,000 "green-energy" companies that have gone out of business when still in the private funding rounds.

Coal and gas is a mature industry, with only major players. Not to mention, the respective fuels themselves are traded in futures markets. Can't do that with... sunlight. Big, slow, steady gains. Sure, a Hurricane Katrina or BP fiasco can tank prices, momentarily, but only an idiot would sell when the price tanks.

If you say fossil fuels can't be innovative, check out https://www.bloomenergy.com/

Old 03-20-2019, 01:47 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
That would be negative. Just bought a brand new full size gasser pickup three weeks ago.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:23 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
I get people are afraid of new technology. Just educate yourself over time and you'll come to the dark side.
Oh wow, because a forum is the best place to educate people geesh

No one is afraid of new technology, we can tell when a technological trend is being a fad and when it is being serious

Besides, who does not like that fresh smell of gasoline?

Also, imagine literally trying to sound educational then using your cocky-ass insight to sound real smart, wow.

What are you doing anyways here? Shouldn't you be in a tree hugger conference?

Old 03-20-2019, 03:20 PM

356 posts, read 175,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Oh wow, because a forum is the best place to educate people geesh

No one is afraid of new technology, we can tell when a technological trend is being a fad and when it is being serious

Besides, who does not like that fresh smell of gasoline?

Also, imagine literally trying to sound educational then using your cocky-ass insight to sound real smart, wow.

What are you doing anyways here? Shouldn't you be in a tree hugger conference?
Shouldn't you be in high school gym class?

Old 03-20-2019, 03:44 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollydoodoo View Post
ICE or Internal Combustion Engine isn't going anywhere.
Neither is the diesel engine - that basically is the engine that makes the heavy duty part of life possible.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:11 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
Neither is the diesel engine - that basically is the engine that makes the heavy duty part of life possible.
Hell diesel will never go away, all construction heavy equipment uses diseal, most generators use it also. Hell they are still using old Detroit Diseal engines from WW 2 in ships and other operations. That’s how reliable and durable they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive