Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 04:42 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollydoodoo View Post
ICE or Internal Combustion Engine isn't going anywhere.

I may get a hybrid if it can offer me the long range (drive across country, stop only for gas added in 5 minutes or less) an ICE has.

Most people only have one car. That whole "I never leave the city" appeal... may work for some, let's face it, but if you're a traveler like me or don't want to be at the mercy of your car ("I would drive to Pittsburgh or Columbus to come see you but my car wont go that far" WHAT? I say ROAD TRIP) then.. ICE (pretty much every car ever made. Save for some oddballs) is your best bet. And can be had cheap.

Tesla is still a curio, more E-vehicles are being introduced but not ready for prime time yet. And until they can charge in the amount of time it takes to fuel... Not interested.

If you got money and can have a car to drive a few miles a day. More power to you. Now tell me the percent of the population that is. People love Tesla, how many have, and why. Thank you.
Most people may only have one car but the vast majority of households probably have two or nore (excluding NYC and maybe a few other city centers).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 04:49 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Lets talk bicycles

-How are you gonna ride in the rain?

-What happens if you get an injury? No insurance to cover you there

-How are you gonna pack your groceries?

I drive an ICE car (gas guzzling Jeep) and don't share in the MMGW hysteria crowd, however, I enjoy biking and try to use it as much as possible to run errands and go places. I have a small backpack I use for groceries. I can fit a surprising amount of groceries in there. If I get injured, my health insurance will cover at least a good portion of it depending on the extent of the injury, but I hope that is never any issue.

Riding in the rain sucks, but I have done it, and it is not the end of the world. I've never melted, yelling "I'm melting..... melting........."

It is actually a pretty efficient way to get around if you have stores within five to ten miles or so. That being said, I have no plans to buy an EV nor hybrid.

Old 03-18-2019, 05:27 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I drive an ICE car (gas guzzling Jeep) and don't share in the MMGW hysteria crowd, however, I enjoy biking and try to use it as much as possible to run errands and go places. I have a small backpack I use for groceries. I can fit a surprising amount of groceries in there. If I get injured, my health insurance will cover at least a good portion of it depending on the extent of the injury, but I hope that is never any issue.

Riding in the rain sucks, but I have done it, and it is not the end of the world. I've never melted, yelling "I'm melting..... melting........."

It is actually a pretty efficient way to get around if you have stores within five to ten miles or so. That being said, I have no plans to buy an EV nor hybrid.
Try riding a motorcycle in the rain feels like bee stings.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:05 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollydoodoo View Post
ICE or Internal Combustion Engine isn't going anywhere.

I may get a hybrid if it can offer me the long range (drive across country, stop only for gas added in 5 minutes or less) an ICE has.

Most people only have one car. That whole "I never leave the city" appeal... may work for some, let's face it, but if you're a traveler like me or don't want to be at the mercy of your car ("I would drive to Pittsburgh or Columbus to come see you but my car wont go that far" WHAT? I say ROAD TRIP) then.. ICE (pretty much every car ever made. Save for some oddballs) is your best bet. And can be had cheap.

Tesla is still a curio, more E-vehicles are being introduced but not ready for prime time yet. And until they can charge in the amount of time it takes to fuel... Not interested.

If you got money and can have a car to drive a few miles a day. More power to you. Now tell me the percent of the population that is. People love Tesla, how many have, and why. Thank you.
Well, ICE isn't going anywhere, because it's going everywhere. But it ain't going away. zero-zero-zero is Mary Berra's delusion, and wishing upon a star will not make it so.

Tesla is a fad, it's the COOL THING just like some pants or shoes or whatevers were in high school.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Hybrid and electric vehicles are in no way being "shoved down" consumers throats at this time. I would be surprised to see them being phased out in any meaningful way anytime soon. Even if half the available models in 15 years aren't traditional ICE equipped vehicles there will still be a high volume of used ICE cars remaining on the road at that time.

Consumers love having choices and auto manufacturers will allow them choices for as long as it's legal and the financial incentive remains.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Hybrid and electric vehicles are in no way being "shoved down" consumers throats at this time. I would be surprised to see them being phased out in any meaningful way anytime soon. Even if half the available models in 15 years aren't traditional ICE equipped vehicles there will still be a high volume of used ICE cars remaining on the road at that time.

Consumers love having choices and auto manufacturers will allow them choices for as long as it's legal and the financial incentive remains.
Yeah, if anything is getting shoved down our throats it’s CVTs and turbos.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:03 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
“Slum it” is right. I have to do it a few times a year but no way I’d do it everyday, nor will most people.

I love driving and love the freedom of having my own wheels. But I do understand that is something that will not be around forever. The end is near.

Within 20 years or so most cars will be self driving and or rideshare cars. Most seem to think that personal car ownership for most people will go away. Millennials drive less that older generations and ride share more. They will propel the coming changes as well the next generation after them. Yes people will have work trucks and the like. But driving your own car to work or shopping or on summer vacation will likely end in the next couple decades.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/aut...ur-own-n755571
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
And people will still be learning to drive 16 years from now. I don’t know what bubble you live in.
I am not the one in the bubble.

If you look at Uber and Lyft as well as Google and countless other firms the race towards self driving cars is moving quickly. I guess you don't read about any of this and just assume everything will stay the same. It wont.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/robo...ver-drive-car/

Old 03-18-2019, 09:13 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I love driving and love the freedom of having my own wheels. But I do understand that is something that will not be around forever. The end is near.

Within 20 years or so most cars will be self driving and or rideshare cars. Most seem to think that personal car ownership for most people will go away. Millennials drive less that older generations and ride share more. They will propel the coming changes as well the next generation after them. Yes people will have work trucks and the like. But driving your own car to work or shopping or on summer vacation will likely end in the next couple decades.

If you look at Uber and Lyft as well as Google and countless other firms the race towards self driving cars is moving quickly. I guess you don't read about any of this and just assume everything will stay the same. It wont.

I reccomend looking up a site that is related to preserving and protecting human driving look it up

Also, you can't just automate everything. What about people living in rural areas? What about those in the 3rd world? And you cant just automate a classic car either...

I get it though, besides the cell phone driving issue, people are using the argument that children, the elderly and disabled would now be able to drive also, but whatever... Is not as if teens, the elderly and disabled don't drive. Nope, that's why we literally have reserved parking

Also, are you aware Uber is losing money?

It will backfire trust me

Just look at how many car features flipped after a medium run, automation will be one of them bud. I will take action if human driving becomes iillegal

Also, since when did other people value other's safety? You think people want self driving cars in the name of safety? No, is because we are getting lazier as a species. That's whu

Old 03-18-2019, 09:18 PM

356 posts, read 175,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Just look at how many car features flipped after a medium run, automation will be one of them bud. I will take action if human driving becomes iillegal
LOL. Have a cream soda.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Let me give you an example of my day today. I had to drive to Lowe’s to return something, and while I was there I bought three potted shrubs and a light fixture... then I went to Sams club and bought about a dozen items, two of them being 42lb buckets of cat litter. After that, I stopped at a restaurant to eat dinner before heading back home (40 miles).

Now where do you think I’m supposed to store all of that stuff while I eat? Am I supposed to pay an Uber car to sit outside and wait? Am I supposed to drag all of my stuff inside?

I don’t care what those articles say, they are not realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive