Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
I reccomend looking up a site that is related to preserving and protecting human driving look it up
Every day that I am on the road and see how many people are horrible drivers and think what is it we are preserving? If you want to blame a group on what will happen blame the bad drivers not automation.

Quote:
Also, you can't just automate everything. What about people living in rural areas? What about those in the 3rd world? And you cant just automate a classic car either...
not everything but perhaps 95% as some have estimated. And you can have self driving cars in rural areas. I spend my summers in a small town that has a part time taxi and lots of people without transportation. A automated car that would be much cheaper than a taxi would be very popular and help the lower income people immensely. Tradespeople will have their own trucks of course. Lots of other exceptions.

Quote:
I get it though, besides the cell phone driving issue, people are using the argument that children, the elderly and disabled would now be able to drive also, but whatever... Is not as if teens, the elderly and disabled don't drive. Nope, that's why we literally have reserved parking

Also, are you aware Uber is losing money?
Uber is losing money with human drivers. There is a reason they are investing a fortune in self driving cars. The humans will be replaced and the profits will go up. Right now they are just getting people used to the concept. Amazon lost money for years. They are not going away.

Quote:
Just look at how many car features flipped after a medium run, automation will be one of them bud. I will take action if human driving becomes iillegal
Probably not illegal but prohibitively expensive. Astronomical insurance costs and licensing fees. Simply put a few human drivers with the vast majority of self driving cars will be an insurance risk.

Quote:
Also, since when did other people value other's safety? You think people want self driving cars in the name of safety? No, is because we are getting lazier as a species. That's whu
It will be much cheaper. If you no longer have a car or insurance payment and only use a car when needed, one without a driver transportation costs will go way down. Have a few drinks, no problem. Texting, no problem. Stopped by the police? You are a passenger, much less liable for whatever is going on. And yes people are more lazy. A self driving car would drop you at the door of wherever you are going and then pick you up there after. No parking and walking to wherever you are going.

Like I said I like driving. But there will be forces from all directions making this change happen. I am not going to be the last soldier camped out in the jungle fighting a war that has long sense ended.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 03-18-2019 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 11:02 PM

99 posts, read 79,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Better check up on your numbers: Big Oil gets ~$3B /yr in subsidies-- <3% of their revenues...But buy an EV and you get significant tax breaks in the range of 10-15% at the expense of all us taxpayers...I agree about the free market. It's always right.

In regards prices: EVs/hybrids cost $4-10,000 more than an equivalent vehicle with ICE. With gas at $2/gal, and FREE electricity you have to drive that battery buggy, with all its attendant inconveniences, for 12 yrs to make up the difference in fuel cost.

[$8000 buys 4000 gal of gas. @ 30mpg, that's 120,000 miles, or >12 yrs of driving for most drivers & 25 yrs for many.]

Wise choice.

For you Millennial Urbanites, add in cost of parking and insurance and you're stupid if you own any car. You're spending $10-$20 a day just to own it, let alone use it.-- Take a bus, cab or rent if you need to make an occasional real trip.

It's always wise to do the arithmetic first before forming opinions.
Many Millennial Urbanites - good term. I like it - they don't own cars. HOWEVER, they feel they can dictate to anyone and everyone how they should use theirs. They also tend to live in liberal cities.

Some Millennial Urbanites are also filthy rich, defies logic...

Old 03-19-2019, 12:04 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
LOL. Have a cream soda.
I like how that's the best you got LOL

Old 03-19-2019, 02:01 AM

99 posts, read 79,287 times
The ICE is not going anywhere.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
A tax credit IS a subsidy, as it's a dollar for dollar reduction in taxes. Being able to deduct something for taxes reduces your taxable income by that amount.

For example, let's say you get to deduct a $7500 expenditure and the tax rate is 20%. You end up with a $1500 reduction in the taxes you pay. If you get a $7500 tax credit, it is equivalent to having a $37500 tax deduction. For EV's that tax credit is also a subsidy because purchasing a car for personal use doesn't normally result in a tax benefit.

But it's not money PAID by the government to me in a check. Like farmers are getting to not grow crops. And it doesn't raise YOUR tax burden by an equivalent amount, so YOU are not paying for me to have an EV, either.

And again, I don't see you complaining that I get a mortgage interest deduction, reducing my taxable income by that amount, or a home office credit that reduces my taxable income by that amount, etc. By your metrics, my home mortgage interest credit isn't fair because apartment dwellers and other renters don't get it. And people who don't have home offices can't get that credit, either. Neither one of them is a subsidy any more than the EV credit is. Or a credit for using your car as part of your business, like I've done with a couple leases.

Now, some states DO hand over a check to buy an EV. THAT'S a subsidy. And the electric company may hand out a rebate check to install a Level 2 charger. I got $700 from the power company to install my Level 2 charger.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:23 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,324,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
They DO offer that. Don't confuse hybrids with electric vehicles. They use ICE combined with a big battery for improved fuel mileage. Some of those batteries will plug in for extra fuel savings, most won't. I drive mine just like I'd drive any other ICE vehicle, refilling the 10-gallon tank every 400 miles or so.

My Volt is essentially an EV for commuting and errand running, never firing up the gas generator for any normal use (I tend to go months without ever using gasoline). But, I just drove it up to upstate NY from here in Baltimore and back, TWICE for the birth of my 2nd grandson (he arrived a week past his due date and I had to come back here for work on the day he actually showed up, so I went back up the following weekend). At any rate, it's 6-8 hour trip depending on traffic and I did it with ease with the Volt, running the gas generator on the highway and getting nearly 50 mpg doing it at 75 mph. That's the point of the car, a pure EV when you want it to be, and a high fuel mileage hybrid when you need that for a long road trip.

Funny thing though on that trip (both, actually) I saw many Teslas out on the NY Thruway between NJ and Albany, where there are limited exits over its first 150+ miles of tollway between NJ and the I 90 interchange in Albany. So people are using them for longer road journeys.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:53 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
For me it's a question of which vehicle is going to please me the most.

I work from home. Gas mileage, no matter how little I get or how much, is simply irrelevant to me. We don't have a single car that gets over 20mpg. So if I were to buy an electric or hybrid, it would be because of their performance. For example, I'd kill to have a Porsche 918 Spyder... that fact that it's a hybrid means nothing to me from an efficiency standpoint, it's the performance it offers that I'm after.

So long as there are ICE cars that are fun for me to drive, they'll always be in the running. Someday, it may be that the best choice is an all electric or hybrid vehicle, and I'm ok with that too.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Every day that I am on the road and see how many people are horrible drivers and think what is it we are preserving? If you want to blame a group on what will happen blame the bad drivers not automation.

not everything but perhaps 95% as some have estimated. And you can have self driving cars in rural areas. I spend my summers in a small town that has a part time taxi and lots of people without transportation. A automated car that would be much cheaper than a taxi would be very popular and help the lower income people immensely. Tradespeople will have their own trucks of course. Lots of other exceptions.

Uber is losing money with human drivers. There is a reason they are investing a fortune in self driving cars. The humans will be replaced and the profits will go up. Right now they are just getting people used to the concept. Amazon lost money for years. They are not going away.

Probably not illegal but prohibitively expensive. Astronomical insurance costs and licensing fees. Simply put a few human drivers with the vast majority of self driving cars will be an insurance risk.

It will be much cheaper. If you no longer have a car or insurance payment and only use a car when needed, one without a driver transportation costs will go way down. Have a few drinks, no problem. Texting, no problem. Stopped by the police? You are a passenger, much less liable for whatever is going on. And yes people are more lazy. A self driving car would drop you at the door of wherever you are going and then pick you up there after. No parking and walking to wherever you are going.

Like I said I like driving. But there will be forces from all directions making this change happen. I am not going to be the last soldier camped out in the jungle fighting a war that has long sense ended.
Lol whatever continue living off your fantasy land

Not everyone is as much up for automated driving as you think

I will help preserve human controlled cars all the way

Same way I don't want physical video games or my movie theaters gone

I will protest in the near future if this happens

Old 03-19-2019, 12:01 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Quote:
I will protest in the near future if this happens
Why wait?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
Why wait?
Cause the technology is still pending
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive