Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times

Advertisements

why?
1. the voice recognition is too frustrating. quicker to dial manually.
2. our other 3 cars are too old. no car payments beats OEM bluetooth.
3. privacy. children do not need to know what Santa's bringing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 03:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, Toyotas and Lexi we had and have suck with hands free. So does their voice recognition. I have same if not better result with $35 Knivo adapter in my RAM. So if you have one that works very well, driving on crappy FWY concrete surface at 65mph - I am envious.
If you're using Apple CarPlay integrated into the car's infotainment system, the voice recognition, natural language understanding, command processing and speech to text are all from Apple's Siri, which is about as good as it gets. I have had very few issues with it and find the whole experience extremely helpful. On my Subaru, I can't access CarPlay via BlueTooth, the phone must be connected via USB cable, but that's no biggie and gives the added benefit of charging the phone while you use it, so I'd want it cabled anyway.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:10 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,321,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
why?
1. the voice recognition is too frustrating. quicker to dial manually.
2. our other 3 cars are too old. no car payments beats OEM bluetooth.

in my 20 year old BMW I used the GROM aftermarket adapter for BT though the factory nav/stereo. Voice recognition was the iPhone's Siri and it works great. So you can have it in your older car. Or you can replace the head unit in the car if you have a standard DIN or double DIN opening. In my 2002 Suburban we did that. A $150 Clarion head unit now powers the stereo and gives me hands free BT connectivity with my phone (and streams music from the phone too). Voice recognition works great, again, as it's Siri.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:46 PM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times
Here is the Apple CarPlay description page at Apple:
https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

If you have this system and you learn how to use it, which really isn't all that hard, it will open up a new world for you. Android phones have their own advanced integration available on some cars, called Android Auto, that is meant as a competitor. I haven't tried that, but all I can say is that Apple CarPlay is the bomb - it's the most useful tech innovation that I have encountered in many years.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:13 PM

312 posts, read 277,391 times
Laziness or lack of basic technical skills (to pair the Bluetooth). Or force of habit. Also, drivers may go back to holding the phone after other parties complain about not being able to hear/understand them -- as in road noise.

Only 16 states have handheld cell phone bans. A few more after this legislative season, probably.

Voice-controlled use helps keeps eyes on the road, but repeated studies have shown the worst distraction is in the processing of the content -- as in, the phone conversation itself.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:24 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times
In the car when using the Bluetooth I can hear the person calling me very well. I like it....

When someone else is calling me from their car I hate it. I can always tell when they are using Bluetooth as it has that speaker-phone sound to it. It is always harder to understand them because you can hear more background noise and their mouth is further away from the mic compared to when their phone is an inch from their face.

I know many people who don’t use Bluetooth because of that second point I just made.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:11 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
I love my hands free phone. Comes over the stereo system so easy to hear. I have yet to learn the voice activated features but that is next....maybe....LOL

Old 03-19-2019, 06:25 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Ever so often, I spot drivers with their phones held to their ear while driving. In most of the cases, they are driving newer model cars which I assume have Bluetooth hands-free calling feature.

This leads me to wonder why do some drivers prefer to hold the phone to their ear rather than use the hands-free dialing.

PS. This is not a post about the dangers of using a phone while driving. Please direct your outrage elsewhere.
In Oregon, it's just as illegal to do "hands-free" calling while driving, as it is to use a hand-held phone. Hands-free calling has been shown to be just as distracting and dangerous while driving, as using a hand-held phone.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
I've seen it. Usually older people. I'm guessing they're either not smart enough to be able to pair up their phone, or they're Luddites who are too stubborn to use the modern features on their vehicle.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
In Oregon, it's just as illegal to do "hands-free" calling while driving, as it is to use a hand-held phone. Hands-free calling has been shown to be just as distracting and dangerous while driving, as using a hand-held phone.

And I'd venture to say that law is ignored by almost every person in Oregon that has a Bluetooth equipped vehicle and a cell phone. Including by those who voted in the idiots who passed that ridiculous law. Pass a stupid law and no one will obey it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive