Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 12:14 PM

49 posts, read 43,996 times

Advertisements

Wow! I didn't know it was cheaper to buy them online and bring them to a garage for mount. I initially thought that shipping was too much. Also, it does give me more choice than to go to a cheap garage that install only Chinese tires (the Cosmo RC-17 for 195/65R15 are made in Thailand). I learn everyday. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 12:42 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiparis View Post
3 weeks ago, the 2 lower control arms have been replaced because of the bushings.
I'd like to buy tires online but I only have a Honda Civic Hybrid 2008, so I don't think 2 tires would fit my trunk.
I want to change car because my hybrid battery was replaced at 90,000 miles under warranty, and right now, my mileage is at 164,000 miles so I want to sell it before the hybrid battery fails.

Tire Rack for sure, and I think most online vendors, have networks of "approved installers" and they can drop ship the tires to the shop you choose.

I'd like to note that if you have damaged or worn suspension parts, you can't really align a car like that.

If money is tight and you only need 2 tires, consider a good used tire shop. Usually found in the grittier parts of town, you can frequently get a tire that has more than half it's usable service life left for less than half of what a new one costs. The usual "chicken little" types will post up how horribly unsafe used tires are, and, yeah, you don't know the history on a used tire and it may have concealed damage - but at the same time I have bought used tires, drove on them till they were at legal minimum tread, and not had any problems with them.

I'm not sure your thinking on selling the car before the current hybrid battery fails makes sense, if you want to have a good ride for minimum cost. You can definitely get used hybrid batteries, typical used part prices are half of new. You don't have to pay full retail for this battery at a dealer, to get a good battery. The new control arms are a sunk cost and the only way to get your value from them is keep driving the car.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:49 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I would get Korean tires like Kumho. Online can be pretty cheap and usually it’s 50/60 bucks to get them mounted. A basic alignment should be about 80/100 if there are no worn suspension pieces
Agree with this. Kumho makes a good tire. Michelin are great, but waaay overpriced in my opinion.

Order online from Tire Rack. https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...160905200534:s Free shipping. Great grices. Great selection.

Also agree on avoiding Chinese tires. Sideways are like paper on the ones I've seen.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Agree with this. Kumho makes a good tire. Michelin are great, but waaay overpriced in my opinion.

Order online from Tire Rack. https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir...160905200534:s Free shipping. Great grices. Great selection.

Also agree on avoiding Chinese tires. Sideways are like paper on the ones I've seen.
I’ve had Kumhos on a lot of my cars and trucks. They were the go to replacements for me but I had a tire store next to my old shop and the dude gave me great deals. I would rather stay away from cheap Chinese tires. My buddy put a set on his truck I forgot the brand but they only lasted about 30,000 miles. Nothing went wrong but he said they handle like crap dry or wet. Really for the money he saved...he said it wasn’t worth it.

I also would look into the house brand. Right now I’m running a Pathfinder brand which is a house brand for America’s Tire. It’s fine. The tire is a Hankook AT/M with different sidewall marking. They were running a special I needed tires.... I had Hankooks before and that’s another brand that’s midrange price but decent tire as far as manufacture goes.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:23 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Wow! I didn't know it was cheaper to buy them online and bring them to a garage for mount. I initially thought that shipping was too much. Also, it does give me more choice than to go to a cheap garage that install only Chinese tires (the Cosmo RC-17 for 195/65R15 are made in Thailand). I learn everyday. Thanks.
Simpletire ships free.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:56 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Quote:
My tire budget is limited. What is better: install new Michelin tires without alignment, or install new Cosmo tires (Chinese brand) with alignment?
With what you are seeing, why even consider putting any tires on without at least an alignment ? You will be flushing good money down the drain with every mile you drive.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
With what you are seeing, why even consider putting any tires on without at least an alignment ? You will be flushing good money down the drain with every mile you drive.
Some folks just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive