Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM

949 posts, read 563,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
This is why I asked people to grade themselves.
Like I said, pointless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 09:44 AM

17,720 posts, read 13,418,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post

Like I said, pointless
I think for the most part people are being honest here. I could of gave myself a 10 easily, but I know I’m not perfect. So far it seems that people are being honest.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,715,102 times
If it weren't for my speeding, I'd be an 8/9 out of 10, I'd say. I've never needed to replace a clutch on manuals that I've owned for well over 100K. Starts and stops are very smooth, giving a very comfortable ride. I leave plenty of room, stay out of peoples' blind spots, signal well ahead of time, anticipate other drivers' lane changes by the flow of traffic, move out of the right lane to allow people entering the highway room to merge on, move to the right to allow faster cars to pass. I always drive defensively, never get mad at anyone's behavior on the road - just try to drop way back and let them move far ahead, if anyone is driving erratically or emotionally. My son repeatedly thanks me for having taught him how to anticipate "bozo" moves on the part of other drivers by reading the positioning and driving of cars around me, and pointing it out to him, when he was a passenger with us in childhood. He's never had an accident, and he says it's because of how well we taught him.

Deficiencies are, I would say, that my reaction time is average at best, and when conditions allow it, I tend to drive way too fast on the highway - even as fast as 90 mph. My car is a relatively new one, very comfortable, and you just don't realize how FAST it's going, unless you look at the speedometer frequently. WAZE has saved me from getting speeding tickets, I think - none for past nearly 20 years.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:02 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,356,279 times
I was an excellent driver. 10/10. However I am slowing down. I do not have the reaction times or the eyesight I once had (20/8 went to 20/40). I do not drive stick shift a whole lot anymore and I do not focus as well as I did when I was younger. Also I do not sleep well anymore so I am often exhausted while driving. Also I do not practice they way I used to (go to an empty parking lot or on a track and practice handling different crises situations). However, I still follow very safe driving practices and I know quite a bit about the physics of driving (and stopping). Just the fact I never tailgate and almost always use my turn signals put me above average (6/10). However I continue to practice safe driving habits that are not that normal in typical drivers (for example consciously moving my eyes to identify and track potential problems/threats, reacting to how other drivers are driving, prioritizing safety over time (within reason), consciously beating down the "lead dog" mentality that is built into many or all of us, etc. I would say even slowed down 8/10 or maybe 7.5/10 (due to less focus).

However there are days when I am sick, have a fever, unusually exhausted or unusually distracted where I probably drop to 4 or even 3. At least I usually have the sense to stay off freeways on those days. I really should not be driving on those days, but often I have to. And the holier than thou people can save thoeir comments. Everyone has such days and if you claim not to or claim you never ever drive when you are tired or sick or overwrought - I will simply decide you are a liar and ignore the comments anyway. (Unless you simply do not drive at all ever - those are the safest drivers).

Of course I am not using 10 as perfect, but as what drivers should be. 5 would be an average driver in the USA, or maybe just half way to what a good driver should be since your typical driver is pretty bad. also I just eliminate people who text and drive from consideration altogether. Those are not drivers at all. they are texters who happen to be sitting behind the steering wheel of a car. If they were included, they would all be 0 assuming -10 is not allowed.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:05 PM

1,002 posts, read 899,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If it weren't for my speeding, I'd be an 8/9 out of 10, I'd say. I've never needed to replace a clutch on manuals that I've owned for well over 100K. Starts and stops are very smooth, giving a very comfortable ride. I leave plenty of room, stay out of peoples' blind spots, signal well ahead of time, anticipate other drivers' lane changes by the flow of traffic, move out of the right lane to allow people entering the highway room to merge on, move to the right to allow faster cars to pass. I always drive defensively, never get mad at anyone's behavior on the road - just try to drop way back and let them move far ahead, if anyone is driving erratically or emotionally. My son repeatedly thanks me for having taught him how to anticipate "bozo" moves on the part of other drivers by reading the positioning and driving of cars around me, and pointing it out to him, when he was a passenger with us in childhood. He's never had an accident, and he says it's because of how well we taught him.

Deficiencies are, I would say, that my reaction time is average at best, and when conditions allow it, I tend to drive way too fast on the highway - even as fast as 90 mph. My car is a relatively new one, very comfortable, and you just don't realize how FAST it's going, unless you look at the speedometer frequently. WAZE has saved me from getting speeding tickets, I think - none for past nearly 20 years.
My original clutch is still very healthy at 250,000.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:15 PM

19,445 posts, read 8,990,715 times
I am very cautious and safe (at least a '9'), but I am terrible in bad weather (about a '2').

Old 03-22-2019, 01:05 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,168,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I've driven in 50 countries and my companions always made me do the driving, because I wasn't afraid to. So that makes me a bit smug.

That's actually a very good sign of a good driver. Someone who can drive in their own country that they are used to and also get around in other countries where laws may be different, driving on the "wrong" side of the road, etc. I know why Ayrton Senna is considered the greatest driver of all time, he drove in horrible Brazilian traffic and it was great practice!

Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 PM

5,891 posts, read 3,195,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I’m an excellent driver.
Does dad let you drive slow in the driveway?

Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 PM

949 posts, read 563,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I think for the most part people are being honest here. I could of gave myself a 10 easily, but I know I’m not perfect. So far it seems that people are being honest.
I doubt they are being honest. I see to many idiots on the road to believe them.
Below are important questions to answer. In no particular ranking order.
Do you know the rules of a 4 way stop or do you think you know?
Do you stop at stops signs and look before proceeding?
Do you always use your turn signal?
Do you talk on your phone while driving?
Do you stay out of the left lane?
Do you know the last posted sign you drove by?
Do you run yellow lights?
Do you know if you are holding up traffic?
Do you pull out in front of people causing the the person you pulled in front of to substantially slow down?

Old 03-22-2019, 04:38 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,249,667 times
Let's see. I was raised by a trained, accident free driver's ed instructor, and I was a trophy winning competition racing driver for a loong time, and was an instructor for competition driving, from autocross to road race, to rallye. Driving and car control is my passion. Most of my cars have been above average in handling and braking, so that I know that at legal and slightly elevated speeds I am nowhere near my or my cars' limits. A lot of people on the road are at or even past their abilities and limits even at the posted speed limit (I've instructed many of them). I've gotten my speed thrills on the track (though never crashed a car on the track or off it), and am not aggressive on the road. I've only had 3 tickets in my life and the last one was over 3 decades ago (when I got singled out in traffic in an out of state Ferrari going with the flow of traffic). Situational awareness borne of decades of racing keep me out of trouble on the road, but even with that, I can feel the reflexes slowing a bit and night vision getting worse. So I give myself an 7 out of 10, as I can still prove my skills compared to the average driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive