Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 03:58 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,195,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
No, it's not. It's a post on how to cheat your creditors out of the property that is rightfully theirs. If you're so far behind on your payments they are coming to repo (you usually have to be 3 or months behind), then you need to give the vehicle back and work on righting your financial situation. Hopefully, it will be a lesson, don't buy things you can't really afford.
This.

If they want you car, they will find a way to get it.

Pay ya damn bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 04:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
1. License plate reading camera cars are scanning you car once a week in your neighborhood. Your plate number and location are being added to a nation wide database.

What can you do? The cameras can only read your plates is they are still reflective. If the paint on the plates are worn off, they cant read them. Get some sand paper and wear down the shine on the plate.

2. We look for your car at your known address.

What can you do?

- put your car being a gate

- block your car with another car

We cant break into anything such as a gate or move another car to tow yours

- Sleep in your car

We cant tow if you are in your car.

Change your plates

- This works. But we check the VIN too. That is located on the dash. Block it with a paper. We won't be able to ID the vehicle, so can't tow

Or you can just pay the payment. I know I know that’s just crazy talk

Old 03-22-2019, 04:50 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,529,317 times
Quote:
1. License plate reading camera cars are scanning you car once a week in your neighborhood. Your plate number and location are being added to a nation wide database.

What can you do? The cameras can only read your plates is they are still reflective. If the paint on the plates are worn off, they cant read them. Get some sand paper and wear down the shine on the plate.

What can you do?

- Sleep in your car

Change your plates

- This works. But we check the VIN too. That is located on the dash. Block it with a paper. We won't be able to ID the vehicle, so can't tow

Much better one-step solution: buy a car you can afford.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:00 PM

7,048 posts, read 9,010,436 times
Some BS in this thread, and some attempt to incite paranoia. The BS goes too far, but the paranoia does not even come close to reflecting reality.

I once lived with a woman who was a repo agent. She was a little slip of a thing, but she would get your car...no fancy cameras or database needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Just read the thread title, but the easiest way to avoid having your car repoed .. is to make your payments as promised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Thats a no brainer. There only needs to be 2 posts on this thread, the question and the above answer.
Sometimes, things change. I once bought a new vehicle. When I bought it, things were great and there was no issue with payments...until a year later when I found myself with my income reduced by 75% and my rent suddenly tripled (landlord sold the building and the new owner wanted to turn it into condos and was trying to drive out the renters)- there was no way to make the numbers work.

They got my vehicle by sending a notice that had to be collected at the Post Office...I went into the PO and when I came out the vehicle was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
LOL

Obviously, in 1983 when Michigan added reflective paint to license plate numbers, it was for the computers and digital cameras on tow trucks to read and remotely access a public database of license plates referenced to lien holder...

Or maybe the reflective paint was added so that police officers could read them at night? I don't know, that sounds too stupid to be true. It's got to be the digital cameras
Of course, reflection was added for higher visibility for LE to see the plates...but what most, or maybe even all of you, *don't* know, is that there is new technology using infra-red reflectivity and codes being added to license plates in some areas (MA is one I know for certain, as I still retain some LE connections there) and some LE vehicles are equipped with the tech to read the info from the plates of every single car that passes- the computers are linked to a database that automatically returns any flags that may be attached to a plate- wants, warrants, unpaid child support, any inquiries, unpaid tickets, lapsed registration...anything at all that they may want to know, even if someone somewhere just wants to track you. All they have to do is flag your plate in the database and the time, date and location are recorded...and if they want to bag you, the blues come on.

The Really Bad Thing about this is, anyone with access to the system can decide they want to track you for whatever reason, legal or not, and your comings and goings are recorded. The potential for abuse is very high, oversight is practically nil, and there is very little you can do about it. The 'Police State' is alive and well and growing like a cancer. Everyone should be concerned...even if you are a completely law-abiding citizen- there are 'Bad Actors' within the government, those who believe that every single citizen should be 'monitored' at every possible moment, who believe that LE should be the 'Supreme Power' with the ability to choose and dictate 'right' and 'wrong'...and dictate their own version of 'justice'. I know, because I have worked with them...and this is one of the reasons that I no longer do. There *are* people who are 'out to get you' of you do not conform to what 'they' believe...and you *should* be worried.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:10 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,667,615 times
I don't get it. Wouldn't making payments on time go along way towards preventing repo?

Old 03-22-2019, 08:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,166,332 times
File this and the $551 car payment thread under "Things I'll never have to worry about".

Old 03-22-2019, 09:20 PM

15,972 posts, read 9,333,121 times
If you need to sand your license plate and sleep in your car, it's time to sit down and examine how your life ended up like this.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:31 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,370,314 times
Quote:

What can you do?

- Sleep in your car

Change your plates

The car repo people will get the car eventually.

I saw a co-worker's care repoed years ago when I was sitting in the company parking lot in my car finishing my coffee before going in.

It was that quick.

He got into the car, drove it away, they put it on a toe-away ramp, and then returned all of the items in it to the co-worker.

Captain obvious says:

get a second job or a job to increase income if that can help pay the car off or get out of payment delinquency,

possibly sell it (if you're not upside down)

and in the future don't live beyond your means.

Your credit is already bad now so when they do repo you're car and you need a new vehicle you'll have to pay cash and it seems (no disrepect intended) that you don't have it.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:38 PM

17,472 posts, read 17,292,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Or you could just make your damn payments.
This should have been the end of the topic that should not have been started.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,209,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Some BS in this thread, and some attempt to incite paranoia. The BS goes too far, but the paranoia does not even come close to reflecting reality.

I once lived with a woman who was a repo agent. She was a little slip of a thing, but she would get your car...no fancy cameras or database needed.

Sometimes, things change. I once bought a new vehicle. When I bought it, things were great and there was no issue with payments...until a year later when I found myself with my income reduced by 75% and my rent suddenly tripled (landlord sold the building and the new owner wanted to turn it into condos and was trying to drive out the renters)- there was no way to make the numbers work.

They got my vehicle by sending a notice that had to be collected at the Post Office...I went into the PO and when I came out the vehicle was gone.

Of course, reflection was added for higher visibility for LE to see the plates...but what most, or maybe even all of you, *don't* know, is that there is new technology using infra-red reflectivity and codes being added to license plates in some areas (MA is one I know for certain, as I still retain some LE connections there) and some LE vehicles are equipped with the tech to read the info from the plates of every single car that passes- the computers are linked to a database that automatically returns any flags that may be attached to a plate- wants, warrants, unpaid child support, any inquiries, unpaid tickets, lapsed registration...anything at all that they may want to know, even if someone somewhere just wants to track you. All they have to do is flag your plate in the database and the time, date and location are recorded...and if they want to bag you, the blues come on.

The Really Bad Thing about this is, anyone with access to the system can decide they want to track you for whatever reason, legal or not, and your comings and goings are recorded. The potential for abuse is very high, oversight is practically nil, and there is very little you can do about it. The 'Police State' is alive and well and growing like a cancer. Everyone should be concerned...even if you are a completely law-abiding citizen- there are 'Bad Actors' within the government, those who believe that every single citizen should be 'monitored' at every possible moment, who believe that LE should be the 'Supreme Power' with the ability to choose and dictate 'right' and 'wrong'...and dictate their own version of 'justice'. I know, because I have worked with them...and this is one of the reasons that I no longer do. There *are* people who are 'out to get you' of you do not conform to what 'they' believe...and you *should* be worried.

My buddy got his truck repo’ed. He parked in his garage walked in the house, came right back out to close the garage door...car was gone. He said literally 60 seconds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive