Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 07:52 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times

Advertisements

the union killed American cars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 vega View Post
the union killed american cars
bs.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I'm almost 50 and my generation will probably be the last to have experienced domestic auto makers absolutely dominating the US market at any point during their lifetime and I was a young child at that time.

At least they'll still get to see American pickups dominate the market.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:06 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
the union killed American cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
bs.

The UAW has done more harm than good. Why do you think all the foreign manufacturers have their factories in the southern states?

Old 03-25-2019, 06:01 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I certainly don't. Japanese cars, even the ones made in the USA are superior in every way. The Japanese not only have better engineering and quality control, they are not saddled with the albatross of the UAW around their necks.

Hyundai/Kia have exceeded the quality of the lesser Japanese makes and are fast approaching the quality of Toyota and Honda.

It's no wonder Ford is running away from the sedan business as fast as it can. Cars cost way too much money these days to buy junk. GM is paring down and so is Fiat/Chrysler.

Talk a bout a match made in Hades, that's Fiat Chrysler. Marry the worst of the American car makers with the worst of Europe and their offspring could start a new "Omen"/"Rosemary's Baby"/"Exorcist" movie franchise. Linda Blair should be their spokesperson.
LOL, well I would have agreed with you in the past but I have 2 cars this marriage hatched (including a Hellcat) and they have been beautiful, reliable, distinctive, comfortable....everything great. Though the Hellcat probably did come from hades.

So while I also wondered how bad the FCA marriage would be, it seems like it's working brilliantly from all I can tell from personal experience.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:54 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I certainly don't. Japanese cars, even the ones made in the USA are superior in every way. The Japanese not only have better engineering and quality control, they are not saddled with the albatross of the UAW around their necks.

Hyundai/Kia have exceeded the quality of the lesser Japanese makes and are fast approaching the quality of Toyota and Honda.

It's no wonder Ford is running away from the sedan business as fast as it can. Cars cost way too much money these days to buy junk. GM is paring down and so is Fiat/Chrysler.

Talk a bout a match made in Hades, that's Fiat Chrysler. Marry the worst of the American car makers with the worst of Europe and their offspring could start a new "Omen"/"Rosemary's Baby"/"Exorcist" movie franchise. Linda Blair should be their spokesperson.
They did start the Hellcat and Demon.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Actually, both GM and Ford are ahead of Toyota and Honda in U.S. sales, even FCA is ahead of Honda and Nissan.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...11-by-company/

Old 03-25-2019, 07:15 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
The UAW has done more harm than good. Why do you think all the foreign manufacturers have their factories in the southern states?
It's definitely cheaper to assemble cars with no union labor, and also cheaper to build them in the south where the cost of living/wages are cheaper to begin with. (Also less headache for the OEM when they don't have to deal with a union.)

That being said, in the grand scheme of things while the UAW can be a pain in the you-know-what, it's not even in the list of the top 10 issues domestic automakers face. Just thinking out loud here I'd say bigger issues would be (in no particular order):

1) Supply base / material cost (this is the biggest issue)
2) Tax structure / tax breaks (why the US continues to give foreign companies more tax breaks and lower tax rates, in all industries, is beyond my comprehension)
3) Global trade barriers, especially in Asia
4) Currency manipulation / strength of the dollar
5) Brand perception and nameplate recognition (mainly on the car side, obviously)
6) Product Development process / design (majors vs refresh vs government mandates, need better planning here)
7) Corporate bureaucracy, need to empower more people and speed up the process
8) Employee wages / health care costs / pension liability (they are being penalized for paying their people better than the competition)
9) Older manufacturing facilities/tools, not set up with lower-cost supplier parks
10) Retail sales process / use of public incentives vs hidden incentives

Old 03-25-2019, 07:17 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
LOL, well I would have agreed with you in the past but I have 2 cars this marriage hatched (including a Hellcat) and they have been beautiful, reliable, distinctive, comfortable....everything great. Though the Hellcat probably did come from hades.

So while I also wondered how bad the FCA marriage would be, it seems like it's working brilliantly from all I can tell from personal experience.
Well it is certainly working better than the merger with Daimler which was an epic fail.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:31 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
I can't believe people still think "American car companies" are somehow inferior still today then Japanese cars.

Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive