Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:44 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
An example of one car doesn't make for such a huge problem as you suggest exists.
If you say so.

But then, I've only encountered about ten later-model cars of value that had bad titles, and I only see four or five a day (mostly commuters) in auto listings.

It doesn't take much for a bad sale or two to create a compounded problem that may not be worth sorting out, given vehicle value. Especially if a car with collector value was sold for parts or salvage but ends up being worth restoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 03:51 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Your reply makes it impossible to quote directly - please split quotes instead of writing inside them.

That there are commercial firms that offer DMV services - AAA does so in many states - is not the same thing as what's referenced above, that DMVs were somehow private agencies at any time. Vehicle registration has been a state function in all states for at least 100 years (it was fragmented by cities and counties in the earliest days).

There were also states that had incredibly lax requirements - I think it was Alabama that was infamous for titles by mail with token documentation and a check. But again, that has nothing to do with "private DMV services."
May I humbly suggest that you research how to use the "copy" function on your computer. Works pretty good on mine.

I believe you may have misread the post regarding the Norton. It was likely brought into the USA by Berliner Motor Corp, the importer at the time, with an MSO. For the bike to end up in a retail buyer's possession on that MSO, never titled, suggests that the bike was abandoned/stored inventory from a bike shop that probably went out of business. The DMV agency that assisted in obtaining the title for the poster most likely was one of those indie agencies that put together the paperwork on behalf of the bike owner for a fee to get the title processed by the NY State agency.

FACT: "private DMV services" are still available today to expedite and navigate the myriad title requirements to satisfy the State agencies where they operate. As an indie repair shop, more than a few of my clients have utilized their services to clear up a title trail and obtain a valid title to vehicles with "clouds on the title" or "gaps" in ownership trails. Most of the situations were created when vehicles (and boats, too) were left from estates or from abandoned vehicles.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:57 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
[color="Blue"]May I humbly suggest that you research how to use the "copy" function on your computer. Works pretty good on mine.
I humbly suggest that someone with so much time on the board would learn how to use its features in a courteous way - which, to be honest, starts with not pointlessly using colored text. Writing within quote blocks means no one can respond to you without a lot of tedious cutting, pasting and editing.

My comment about orphaned cars was just a side note. I'm not sure why you've decided it's a battle to the death, here.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
If you say so.

But then, I've only encountered about ten later-model cars of value that had bad titles, and I only see four or five a day (mostly commuters) in auto listings.

It doesn't take much for a bad sale or two to create a compounded problem that may not be worth sorting out, given vehicle value. Especially if a car with collector value was sold for parts or salvage but ends up being worth restoring.
Really? I'm active in the Colorado marketplace, having been repairing and dealing in cars there since 1964 through present day.

I attend a fair number of rural farm/ranch auctions around Colorado where it's likely to find a bunch of abandoned cars/trucks/motorcycles.

You claim to "only see four or five a day" with bad titles doesn't wash with what I see there. Typically, I don't see that many "bad" titles in a year, especially with collectable value type cars. YMMV.

PS: I used to spend a fair amount of time with the local Porsche, M-B, and BMW clubs in the area, and with the exception of the "funny" cars which proved to be stolen in Europe and brought back to the USA by a particular Denver Porsche wholesaler for a couple of years … rarely saw bad titles in these cars.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I humbly suggest that someone with so much time on the board would learn how to use its features in a courteous way - which, to be honest, starts with not pointlessly using colored text. Writing within quote blocks means no one can respond to you without a lot of tedious cutting, pasting and editing.

My comment about orphaned cars was just a side note. I'm not sure why you've decided it's a battle to the death, here.
LOL … you see, I've been taken to task numerous times by others on the forum for doing what you're all up in arms about.

My use of "colored text" over the years was at the specific request of other posters. Looks to me like I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't.

No "battle to the death, here" … you're the one who makes wild a** claims about there being a large problem in the car title industry ("four or five a day"!!!!) which isn't assisted by indie DMV outfits and so many collectable cars with bad titles.

C'mon … let's try to get real here. "four or five a day" dwarfs the contact volume of probably 95% of the car dealerships in the Denver area. Even if that's the only late-model cars you see, that's handling 25 cars per week … and they'd be a small percentage of the total volume you were in contact with. At a large percentage of the cars you might see, say 25%, you're now talking about being involved with 100 cars per week. If the bad title cars were even 5% of the cars you saw per week, that's huge numbers … hundreds of cars per week that you claim contact with. That's big dealership contact levels; most of the indie used car dealerships I dealt with for years (who specialized in MB and BMW cars) in Colorado are lucky to see a turnover of a small fraction of that number per month; many are turning only a few cars on average per week.

I call BS on your claims of so many "bad titles on late model cars" … especially in light of the computerized Colorado title system in place for many years now and in the rest of the USA states, too.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-30-2019 at 04:33 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 04:33 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
First off fun car I have a similar year (L98 C4) in a 6 speed. You can request a duplicate title from the NY dmv. You can’t do this since you have the proper information. I live in NY and this may be impossible.

I’m sure there are people here in the USA that specialize in lost titles.

Here is the link to search the title. It will show you when it was last titled in NY.
https://process.dmv.ny.gov/titlestatus/

Old 03-31-2019, 01:29 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
You made a mistake buying that car without any documentation. Even though a 1988 Corvette would be valued at quite a bit, it might be more expensive resolving the issue, than it's worth. I think it's a good possibility that it was stolen. I'd try to find a way to divest myself of it, before you get into trouble with French authorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive