Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 12:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I owned the cars (Mercedes, BMW, Saab, Jaguar & Cadillac) and none of it happened to me.
Claiming it's a certainty is Chicken Little hysterics. Nothing is for certain.

With Toyota and Honda fanboys right at the very top.
Hard to believe, but there are other manufacturers that make good cars.
Germans do make good cars but they are just too expensive to maintain and they've created a whole ecosystem to ensure that it's better to lease and come back and keep leasing because it's highway robbery if you decide to maintain one for over 10 years through their expensive maintenance policies.

If you don't agree with me, the used car market is evidence. Any S series Mercedes that are under 10 years old loses 70% of its value. $110k loaded Merc 2010 is now worth about $26k in mint condition.

All those C class that were MSRP for $40k, after a dozen years is worth less than $5k.

I had a 01' Subaru Outback bought for $7k and sold it after 5 years of use for $5500. I didn't lose much at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 02:29 PM

9,372 posts, read 6,975,888 times
Toyota is better if you have a brain
Honda is better if you have a heart

Old 03-30-2019, 05:30 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,904,601 times
Currently, have a 2006 Honda CRV and 2006 Honda Element both over 130K and they have been very reliable. Also, have a 2002 Toyota Rav4 with about 125K that has been a gem.

I would have to say both Honda and Toyota are tough to beat and definitely my #1 choice when it comes time to buy a new vehicle. Not sure I will even look at any other brands.

Old 03-30-2019, 06:31 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
The only reason I’d say Toyota has an edge is the transmissions, Aisin transmissions are hard to beat.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:00 PM

599 posts, read 498,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I owned the cars (Mercedes, BMW, Saab, Jaguar & Cadillac) and none of it happened to me.
Claiming it's a certainty is Chicken Little hysterics. Nothing is for certain.

Nothing is certain, but there is this silly reality known as statistical analysis of data. That's where you actually look at what happens in the real world, and how various brands and models perform during their lifespan, cost of ownership, resale values, # of units still in service at 200K+ miles as listed on registrations. You know , facts. If you decide that the facts are invalid, and dispense with them as being "chicken little hysterics" well you are certainly welcome to do so. Me, I'll stick with reality.

With Toyota and Honda fanboys right at the very top.
Hard to believe, but there are other manufacturers that make good cars.
I guess the millions and millions of satisfies owners of reliable top tier Japanese products are all "fanboys" right? The millions of Camry, Corolla, Civic, Accord, Outback, Impreza and CRV owners who are about as far from being "automotive enthusiasts" as you could possibly get, and only want rock solid, reliable as an anvil, no BS appliances to drive.....................

You really don't make a lot of sense on this one, might be time to try again, or just let this one go.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:47 PM

243 posts, read 268,334 times
Even though I drive only Honda’s and kind of a Honda fanboy I always had a soft spot for Toyota and respect their cars especially Toyota’s from the 90s were literally bulletproof. Honda feels like they have larger interiors compared to Toyota though..A lot of people say both brands are equal but quality wise Toyota might have a slight edge. I don’t like the fact that Honda uses turbo engines and CVT transmissions these days

Old 03-31-2019, 02:57 AM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
I can’t decide whether I should buy a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry?

Which brand makes better quality cars
I say Honda Accord, Honda just takes a few extra steps to make their cars desirable imo. If you just want reliability and don't care about the driving experience, then Toyota is the way to go.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:03 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
If you like a car that holds value and avoids negative equity Honda beats Toyota in each of the classes they compete in. Toyota floods the market with Camrys especially via the rental car sector (Honda doesn't at all) which devalues the model and lowers resale value.

Old 03-31-2019, 07:18 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
I can’t decide whether I should buy a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry?

Which brand makes better quality cars
If so little thought went into your final choice, it doesn't much matter. Both bland and not the type of cars that start conversations.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:54 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,550,658 times
I have an 09 Accord. It has been an excellent vehicle. It has a somewhat firm road feel and very little sway or nosedive. It is spacious and has firm, comfortable leather seats. Very few repairs required in ten years.

That experience led to our purchase of a new crv. Honda did a call back on the gas in the oil issue. We had it for about three months when they serviced it. I expect it to be good to go and operate well for another decade.

If I were to be critical the Hondas both feel a bit light and are noisy. Too much cheap plastic inside.

Every time I compared to Toyota the Honda dealerships up here just killed them with great deals. I would like to try a new Avalon, but not at a several thousand dollar cost difference.

During this time we also had a Mazda CX-9. Unfortunately it bricked on us at 80k because the water pump dumped into the oil pan. Loved that car, but never again. Had various domestic cars over the years and had terrible issues including transmission, electrical, front end, distributor and fi, and valve problems to identify a sampling. Unlikely I’ll ever go back.

In retirement I may get a cool little convertible of European make. But that will be just for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive