Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 03:08 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

They will just have speed limiters built into the roads to slow down all cars one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 03:48 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Speed limits are way too low. Cars have improved, but speed limits haven't changed much (except a few places on the interstate).
Cars have improved at protecting occupants in reasonable-speed collisions, especially glancing ones. Past those design limits, even the best cars collapse and burn.

Your odds of walking away from a 75mph crash are not much different from 30 years ago. It's not some open-ended equation of safety.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
My car beeps at me if I disconnect the seat belt 50 feet before reaching the garage door.

Something similar could be implemented. But when the 76 Tacoma wants to run me down in a road rage I want to be able to floor it and get away from the guy high on meth.
But if he knocks you into the ditch, your refusal to wear belts will mean you'll be safely thrown clear. So what's the problem?

Old 03-30-2019, 06:16 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
They should generally limit the max speed, power, and fuel consumption of cars to 100 km/h, 50 hp, and 2 liters/100 km, respectively. That would steer competition in a very different, much more healthy direction.

Cars are way too big and pompous these days, they should be reduced to what they are supposed to be, simple tools to get from a to b.

But the EU is weak, they like to pretend they care, but in reality the Germans don't like to see any EU laws that could hurt their car industry, so they block any real progress.

Speeding is indeed a problem in Europe, but so is alcohol. Cars should not even start without the driver passing a breathalyzer test.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:39 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Driving is no fun if you can't break the speed limit.

Seriously though, sometimes it's necessary for safety reasons to accelerate strongly.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:50 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They should generally limit the max speed, power, and fuel consumption of cars to 100 km/h, 50 hp, and 2 liters/100 km, respectively. That would steer competition in a very different, much more healthy direction.

Cars are way too big and pompous these days, they should be reduced to what they are supposed to be, simple tools to get from a to b.
There are two kinds of people in the world:
1. Those who like to tell everyone else how to live, and
2. Those who don't want anyone else telling them how to live.

I don't think there's any way for the people in these two groups to come to any kind of compromise or accommodation. There are probably more people in the first group, but those in the second group are better armed (in the USA, at least).

Your comments explain why increasing numbers of people in EU countries want their governments to withdraw from the EU.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:41 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Cars have improved at protecting occupants in reasonable-speed collisions, especially glancing ones. Past those design limits, even the best cars collapse and burn.

Your odds of walking away from a 75mph crash are not much different from 30 years ago. It's not some open-ended equation of safety.

I don't disagree, but I was referring to the vast improvements in stopping distance, handling and acceleration etc. Most cars have ABS, traction control, stability control etc. Tire technology has improved leaps and bounds since the 1980's, but speed limits remain the same, for the most part.

Of course human reaction time is no different, worse perhaps given all the distractions.

Fact is some people could speed all day, every day and never have an crash. While others are busy catching up on face book after a few drinks with dinner and will kill a cyclist because they, "didn't see them". All while obeying the speed limit.

Old 03-31-2019, 03:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Speeding kills. It maims. It costs a lot of lives and money.

The faster you are going the more likely it will be fatal accident however on the highway most accidents are caused by the disruption to the flow of traffic triggered by bad driving habits. People traveling too slow in the left lane, right hand passers, tailgaters, aggressive driving practices in general, spending too much time looking at their speedometer and there is other things like the cop sitting on the side road and everyone hits their brakes.

If you want to reduce accident rates stop focusing on speed and address the numerous other issues.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-31-2019 at 05:04 AM..

Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The faster you are going the more likely it will be fatal accident however on the highway most accidents are caused by the disruption to the flow of traffic triggered by bad driving habits. People traveling too slow in the left lane, right hand passers, tailgaters, aggressive driving practices in general, spending too much time looking at their speedometer and there is other things like the cop sitting on the side road and everyone hits their brakes.

If you want to reduce accident rates stop focusing on speed and address the numerous other issues.
I agree with you. Speed is usually a secondary factor in accidents, while the primary factor usually lies elsewhere, in the things you describe.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
There are two kinds of people in the world:
1. Those who like to tell everyone else how to live, and
2. Those who don't want anyone else telling them how to live.

I don't think there's any way for the people in these two groups to come to any kind of compromise or accommodation. There are probably more people in the first group, but those in the second group are better armed (in the USA, at least).

Your comments explain why increasing numbers of people in EU countries want their governments to withdraw from the EU.
Well, I think cars have gotten totally out of control. Do you have any idea what an enormous waste of water, energy, materials etc. the production of a modern car means? Not to mention consumption when driven...

I like places that try to limit the use of cars, like Singapore where there is only 1 car per 10 citizens. In the US it's more than 8 per 10 citizens.

A government has the duty to steer things in what it considers the right direction. Problems don't solve themselves by everyone doing what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive