Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 11:38 AM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

If you move to California, and you want a CA DL, you have to take a driving test (not just a written test). Why do they require this if, say, you drove in Nevada for 20 years and had no problems. Are the laws and signs really different in California?

If you move to a new state how long do you have before you have to use a DL from the new state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 02:00 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
If you move to California, and you want a CA DL, you have to take a driving test (not just a written test). Why do they require this if, say, you drove in Nevada for 20 years and had no problems. Are the laws and signs really different in California?

If you move to a new state how long do you have before you have to use a DL from the new state?
I suspect requiring someone to take a driving test forces them to actually READ the manual that state uses to inform people about what's legal there. Some states' traffic laws differ more than others so part of it may be that they don't want to try to guess how much. Probably not a terrible thing. AFAIK you aren't charged any more to do a driving test over a written one, so it's not just grabbing more fees.

As for how long you have to get the new license...ask the DMV! If you want to keep using an ID that is no longer accurate or current to prove who you are, be my guest.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:14 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Why you would move to Cali from Nevada is beyond me. Got too much money in the bank?

As I moved from state to state, yeah, they all wanted me to take at least the written test. In Washington, I had to take a riding test for motorcycles, even though I had been riding for decades before I moved here.

The rules are what they are. This is like asking why the strike zone in baseball is defined the way it is defined. It's just the way it is.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:03 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
Most states require you to apply before 30 day's.

This is nothing in CA...Just hang on and you will see, it's like a whole different world

P.S. bring plastic straws

Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I've never had to take a driving or written test to get a drivers license in the state I had relocated to.

As long as your license is currently valid in the state you are relocating from it should just be a matter of filling out a basic info sheet about yourself and turning in your old license. A new license will be issued and mailed to you at your new address.

Check the DMV website state you are relocating to for the specifics...I can't remember if you will need to proof of residency or alternate Id's.

Edit- I am not sure about CA specifically- they do have some stupid stupid laws but it's hard to believe even CA would needlessly tie up their DMVs with this nonsense of retesting for license transfer.

Last edited by SoHoVe; 03-28-2019 at 06:32 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 06:43 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Just go online to California DMV website and find out that’s what it’s there for.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:14 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
CA - CT, vision test. Walked out with new licenses.

CT - CO, vision test. Walked out with temp license, got perm in the mail three days later.

No written or driving tests.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:30 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
CA - CT, vision test. Walked out with new licenses.

CT - CO, vision test. Walked out with temp license, got perm in the mail three days later.

No written or driving tests.
Illinois written test and eye test.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:00 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:

A guaranteed opportunity to increase their revenues😎

Old 03-28-2019, 09:40 PM

732 posts, read 390,454 times
Quote:

Huh. I had to do that quite some time ago (25+ years?), I'm surprised it's still true.

It was kind of a hoot doing a driving test with a 1969 Z/28.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive