Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Completely Unnecessary Post About Pickups #3,122.

Yes, by gosh, some people need pickups.

No, by golly, most suburbanites don't.

(Pauses for shock and dismay to ripple through crowd.)
Too much of a headache for me not to have one. I have bought so many big bulky things that I’d have to pay a delivery fee for if I didn’t have my own truck. Even if I didn’t mind paying for delivery, I’d have to arrange delivery around the time when I’m going to be home, etc. No thanks. Been there and done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 07:19 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hmm, as a Ford owner I'd be more likely to switch to Chevy than Ram (Dodge). In fact, when I looked, and bought, trucks I never even bothered to look at Ram (Dodge) but did look at Chevy as well as Ford.

As far as "mileage" goes, you know trucks don't sip gas when you buy them. Complaining about that is, Hell I don't know what to call it except stupid. Which I didn't want to do just so I could be polite.
I've gone back and forth between Ford and Chevy over the years, never considered a Ram, nor would I.

I see trucks as a great value for what you're getting. Maybe not at MSRP, but no one pays MSRP. It's nothing to walk into a Ford or Chevrolet dealership and get $10,000+ off on an F-150 or Silverado.

Gas mileage is just fine. I get about 19 combined with my 2016 F-150 4x4 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. Yeah, it doesn't get 30 MPG, but I knew that when I bought it. My current truck gets 5 or so MPG better than a '96 F-150 with an old Windsor V8 would have, plus it has about triple the horsepower, torque and towing capacity.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:30 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
Interesting article.

I really don't think the 17% who wouldnt buy another truck is a newsworthy percentage though. In fact with so many trucks being purchased as status vehicles now rather than strictly being bought to fulfill a need I am surprised the number isn't higher. I would say that it being ONLY 17% is a testement as to how much people appreciate the comfort and versatility once they have owned one.

I wish there was some data on what percentage of those surveyed were first time truck buyers.

The fuel economy issue is a ridiculous complaint. All that info is widely available online AND it's right there on the window sticker if buying new. If you commute a considerable distance gas adds up pretty darn fast. People need to factor that in and realize they may not even achieve the numbers on the sticker in real world driving conditions.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
$200 for a shop to change oil is nuts. $60 is about right for 5 quarts of first-class oil, and a good filter like a Wix or Pure-1 or Boss. Cheaping out on oil, filters, or oil change interval on a Diesel particularly is just nuts. Will cost you a lot more down the road.

My trucks take almost 4 gallons of oil. I diy so it’s really not expensive. Either Delco or Rotella. The filters I buy by a box full and I just use the Motorcraft filters. I don’t drive the diesels as much anymore so the oil changes aren’t as frequent. I had it done once at a dealer cause I was having a recall taken care of and it was due for a oil change. I think it was $220 bucks. A normal shop charges anywhere from 180-220.

Yeah, heavy-duty trucks are crippled without heavy-duty tires, I put Load Range E on my old F-350 single rear wheel, it's not that much more money per mile, and it preserves the ability of the truck to go to work at up to 10,000 lb GVW, if I want to haul that much.

AFAIK load E range is what the factory recommends. At least on my diesels.. I know some guys who do the 19.5 inch commercial wheels and tires but that’s gonna be like riding a bucking bronco. I can’t imagine running that stiff a tire. Another problem is the truck is rated to haul/tow x amount. Yo go over and get in a wreck you can chance not being covered by your insurance.

Of course the "non-serious" truck user is much better served by a half-ton, which is still overkill for 99.9% of what he wants to do with it, gets better mileage, parts and tires are cheaper. Actually a pseudo-truck like a Ridgeline is good enough for these guys, they can rent a "real" truck for the maybe one time a year they actually need one

I’m unfortunately one of those who needs a 3/4 ton truck minimum. A 1/2 ton in the configuration I need for long distance couldn’t tow my trailer. It would be considered overloaded. If I was gonna go to a gasser I’m hoping the 7.3 Fird gas engine that they are coming out with is that good. I would wait a few years to see if it’s not done crapbag of a engine but it’s a pushrod engine and that’s one thing the d9nestics are good at is pushrod engines. I’m hoping at least 375ho/475tq. That’s what the old 460 was capable of so it should easily get that with the better fuel inhectiins today

Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I guess I do not understand.

I pay $28 for an oil change for my truck (7 quarts and filter). I get $10 off every seventh change. trucks do not need synthetic. If you are paying for synthetic, you are wasting your money.

My truck takes 15 quarts. I have two of these trucks.

I pay $250 for a set of tires, installed. Yes they are not new, but I get 50K or more miles out of them. I also get higher quality tires that I would likely buy otherwise. (tires for my Camaro were $250 each I think, only one brand made them).

If i used car tires (even though they would fit on 16 inch wheels I run I would pop them as they set the truck on the ground. My engine alone weighs 1000 pounds. I have no idea what a Dana 60 and a Dana 80 weigh. My tire and wheel each probably weigh 80 pounds. I can get about 50k out of my tires. I dint like running them to the last bit. At about 85% I start looking at replacing them. I had a blow out at 70 on a drive axle. Trust me I’m not gonna bother saving $50 to stretch a used tire fir another few miles. Screw that.

What is quite expensive is a tune up. $400 (it has 16 irridium spark plugs), but that should be a once in a lifetime cost.

No spark plugs on these. My other trucks used one plug per cylinder. The most expensive I ever bought was for my dodge 4,7 and they ran about $8 a pop.

Coolant and not-freon costs about the same as a car.

Battery is about $20 more than a car. Probably need a new battery every six years.

My batteries are Group 65s . I went to AGM batteries as I’m finfing them “cheap”. $150 and I use two. They seem to last about 3 years then they start going downhill. At 4 years I just replace them. I use these trucks for long distance driving. I’m not gonbacget stuck in some rest stop in Montana in December with a bad set of batteries. For $300 it’s not worth the hassle.

Look on someone's face when you pull them out of a ditch in a blizzard? Priceless.

Lol. I pulled a Cal Fire water buffalo out of a muddy ditch once. That was fun.

I will say I beat my truck up a lot more than I do a car. You never toss a log or a rock into the bed and miss and make a scratch or dent. But then unlike cars, trucks look better if they have some dents and scratches. Just like a marine looks better if he has some scars.

My trucks look brand new. I use them but I dont abuse them. No reason to. My old HMC is looking rough but it’s 30 years old and my wife’s kids drive it and abused it.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-28-2019 at 09:00 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 09:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hmm, as a Ford owner I'd be more likely to switch to Chevy than Ram (Dodge). In fact, when I looked, and bought, trucks I never even bothered to look at Ram (Dodge) but did look at Chevy as well as Ford.

As far as "mileage" goes, you know trucks don't sip gas when you buy them. Complaining about that is, Hell I don't know what to call it except stupid. Which I didn't want to do just so I could be polite.

As a GM man, I did look at the Ford in 2016, but the sales manger was a very pushy runt with little man syndrome (I'm 6' 2") and wouldn't come down more than $5k on the F-150 I was interested in. Even knowing my next stop was the Chevy dealer, where I was was looking at $15k off factory sticker. I walked and got the Chevy for almost $16k off factory sticker. And just like you, I didn't even look at Ram. I like the new Ram 1500, but I'm very leery of their quality and reliability.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Years ago, after a big snowstorm you have to look for that neighborhood truck with a plow. Nowadays, I see every block in my area there's a truck parked outside with a plow waiting for a call. Fortunately this year we hardly had anything more than 6" so there wasn't that much business for trucks w/plows.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:

I pay $28 for an oil change for my truck (7 quarts and filter). I get $10 off every seventh change. trucks do not need synthetic. If you are paying for synthetic, you are wasting your money.

I have been using synthetics for 30 years. I do not consider it a waste of money. Synthetics flow much better at sub-zero temps and they handle 115 degree heat much better than dino. And try finding 0W20 in dino. You can't. That's what my Silverado and my wife's Subaru both use.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:14 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:

Why do you think that? For something like an EcoBoost I think it’s even more important to use synthetic since those are highly stressed engines, and the oil helps protect the turbos. And in the case of my Tundra, it calls for 0w-20, which is only available in synthetic.

Dino oil is pretty much on its way out, even GM’s required Dexos rated oil is a synthetic blend.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:08 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Most folks I know are loyal to Ford or Chevy and would never buy the other. Maybe it's a Southern thing.

The new Ram looks good, but I've heard too many horror stories on reliability.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:15 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
I know of 2 people with new Ford pickups that cant seem to get the warning tights to go out. The dealer has done this or that and reset the lights. Still keeps coming on. Its never good when the dealer tells you we have tried everything. They have made them so complicated, and too finicky to manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive