Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 11:56 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,088,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
In all likelihood, anyone with a CVT car who has replaced the CVT would use that as a selling point. The safe assumption is that it hasn't been, in the absence of documentation to the contrary.
IF i were to see a transmission has already been replaced, I would wonder am I geting a used one in its place, is the warranty on that transmission now up and they are passing on a ticking time bomb to the next owner. Replaced transmission does always help you in a sale. My boss is selling his SUV that had a transmission failure a 101K, and he paid $k for a used transmission with 71K to replace it. I would wonder if that used one will go out soon too and if those transmissions have defects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 12:05 PM

34,134 posts, read 18,389,708 times
My next vehicle purchase will be restricted to a manual transmission, as I have always had, and preferred them. I hear nothing but problems with newer automatic transmissions that now have eight or more gears and shift constantly (in a failed attempt to get better gas mileage). Also, I don't trust CVT although I get that they require different care and feeding.

The only problem is finding new vehicles with a manual transmission today.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:30 PM

16,756 posts, read 8,125,823 times
My 2011 Caliber had a CVT II Chrysler version. My grand daughter now has it at 180K, no issues.

Maintenance is the key to longevity with any car or truck.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:07 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,532,798 times
If a CVT is unreliable it fails early, usually warranty covers. If they last, they usually last much much longer than AT. My Prius has over 178k and no sign of failures and no issues at all such as gear slipping since there is no gears.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:15 PM

243 posts, read 264,470 times
When are the fluid change intervals for CVTs? Honda doesn’t seem to mention anywhere in the owners manual when to change transmission fluid

Old 04-05-2019, 04:51 PM

16,756 posts, read 8,125,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
When are the fluid change intervals for CVTs? Honda doesn’t seem to mention anywhere in the owners manual when to change transmission fluid
The Caliber recommended 30k miles to change fluid.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:09 PM

12,011 posts, read 9,083,384 times
Quote:
Honda has an electronic system called the "Maintenance Minder" that integrates information about how your car is being driven and under what conditions over time, in order to make judgements on when certain maintenance operations need to be done. When something is needed, an indicator goes on in the dash with a code to indicate what needs doing. This includes oil changes and CVT fluid changes. It's pretty cool. That's why you don't see a fixed mileage interval written down from corporate for many things. For engine oil life there is more info provided, and you can see the residual oil life left as a percentage by pressing a button. I changed my oil at 30% life left, and I still got over 10K miles between oil changes - live in New England and drove about 2/3 highway miles.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:09 PM

680 posts, read 526,343 times
Quote:
The manual in mine says, 25k or 30k(can't remember which one) if you drive in hilly terrain. Doesn't mention anything more, so you would go by the maintenance minder. 30k would be a good time to change. I wouldn't go 40-50k before getting it done.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:14 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,120,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
EVERY Nissan with a CVT uses a JATCO transmission.
This is not true. Specifically between years of 2007 and 2012.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:08 PM

15,167 posts, read 7,207,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wharton View Post
Interesting. I had a similar conversation with the head mechanic at our local Honda dealer. I told him I was flat towing our CRV about 10K miles a year behind our motorhome, and doing DIY service to the trans at 15K and the rear diff. at 30K, using OEM fluid. He stated that is exactly what he would do, especially since you are only swapping three of eleven qts. in the trans. while following the factory recommended service procedure. His opinion is that if customers would going 30K intervals on transmission service, it would eliminate a majority of premature transmission failures he sees in the shop.

Both services are easy, quick and inexpensive (less than $30) when I do them myself.
While looking for maintenance tips for our old Volvo S60 (before the wife managed to total it), the suggestion for completely changing the transmission fluid was to disconnect the transmission cooler lines, stick the return flow side into a bucket of ATF and the outflow line into an empty bucket, and run the engine at idle until the outflow ran clear with new fluid. Never tried it, but was told it would change all of the fluid, not a fraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive