Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,739,305 times

Advertisements

There's absolutely no issue with mixing oil and ATF. The parts guy you talked to was an idiot.

Either take the ATF somewhere else, or mix in some used oil so it's black and just tell them it's motor oil.

Antifreeze or brake fluid are a problem. ATF or power steering fluid *are* oil and can be mixed with used motor oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 03:43 AM

99 posts, read 77,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Cuts down on algae growth, too.
Just be sure to use a LOT of water afterwards. I have done this before.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:44 AM

99 posts, read 77,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/...ycle-motor-oil

Used Motor Oil & Filters

To recycle used motor oil and oil filters at curbside, you must use free City-issued oil jugs and filter bags which are designed to prevent leaks. Place filled oil jugs and filter bags on the curb near your recycling cart for collection. To order the free oil jugs and filter bags, call your recycling hauler.

After collecting your used motor oil or oil filter bags, the driver will leave a replacement for what is collected. For example, if one oil jug is picked up, then one empty oil jug is left in exchange (up to a maximum of four one-gallon jugs). If one oil filter bag is collected, then one empty filter bag is left in exchange (up to a maximum of two oil filter bags). Remember: oil mixed with antifreeze, transmission fluid, or any other automotive fluid will NOT be collected. For safe disposal of other automotive fluids, contact the Santa Clara Countywide Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Program at (408) 299-7300 to schedule a free appointment.
Hey my friend from another forum, that's not true. I know of an Advance that let's me dump it in there, on my honor myself, no ID, and its never been a problem.

I knew you had to be in California somewhere.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:17 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
I dump it all together at Advance, and they never ask any questions.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:20 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
p. The have a hazardous waste recycle area. You’ll have to leave it in the container. I used to hit up the painters on jobsutes as they had this of buckets. I just washed out all the paint. Or go buy 5 gallon buckets with lids at the hardware store
Or just buy new oil in 5 qt bottles, then put the used oil back in the same container!

Old 04-05-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Or just buy new oil in 5 qt bottles, then put the used oil back in the same container!
That’s what I do, and the Valvoline bottles are perfect since they have the larger diameter caps.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 AM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
Quote:
parts stores won't take other fluids

I clicked on this thread expecting the Brazzers version of "won't take other fluids" with the hot female parts store clerk.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:10 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Quote:
Yup that works also. I just drain everything in a rolling oil container like mechanics use so it’s a little harder to repour in a small container.
Walmart also takes oil. I just mix everything in one container.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:18 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,587,895 times
Quote:
I pour the used oil into the empty containers of new oil, too. It makes it easy to drop off the old oil at the store. They allow people to bring oil-drain containers that the staff pours into the recyclables tank but sometimes their tank is full. In that case, I don’t need to make a second trip to come back after the tank is receiving again. They just store the oil that is brought in, since I no longer need those containers.

They have people sign a log of what is brought in on what date, with name and contact info.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:06 AM

My issue is antifreeze. It seems like nobody takes that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive