Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 12:02 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
So there’s 3 pedals? Brake, gas, and clutch? That is extremely confusing and again it’s unsafe
Didn't anyone ever teach you that opinionated ignorance is a no-no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
So there’s 3 pedals? Brake, gas, and clutch? That is extremely confusing and again it’s unsafe

It's worse than that. There's also the high beam switch down there on older cars and occasionally the emergency brake pedal. Five things to control with your feet.

I recall back in the day being able to drive a manual transmission, smoke a cigarette, roll a controlled substance, and not spill my beer. My car had a CB radio. I didn't have power steering or power brakes. It was crank windows and I had to use a key to open the door.

Driving a car with no synchromesh actually took a bit of skill.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Most new model cars don’t even have a manual tranny as an option anymore. This proves Manuals are unsafe and outdated tech
That's because people want the easiest and fastest way to learn to drive a car, not because of safety and being outdated. You can train a monkey to drive an automobile with an automatic transmission.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Chuck Norris will be dropping by to pick up your man card.

Driving manual is not hard at all, once you get used to it. An experienced driver working a manual is actually using a different area of the brain to control shifting, than a novice. Of course, yeah, you have to take one hand off the wheel for a moment to shift, but this is hardly a death-defying stunt.

Anything is hard to do, if you don't know how to do it. And if you do know, it becomes relatively easy.

yeah, but in a snow storm, on a hill is not the time to learn. lol

That said...while I've driven both, I think I prefer an automatic transmission. But you have a lot more control in rainy or snowy conditions, with a manual transmission.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:02 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Didn't anyone ever teach you that opinionated ignorance is a no-no?
Especially when it comes packaged with lack of coordination, no imagination, and exaggerated fear of the Unknown.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:17 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post

But, perhaps the best way for me to answer you is to paraphrase a visionary former President of the United States:

Quote:
But why, some say, drive manual? Why choose this as our means? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 95 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go with a manual. We choose to go with a manual in our travels and to do the other things, not because they are easy, but because (some think) they are hard, because that means will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one with which we intend to arrive!

Cute.

But... the more difficult means is the more virtuous?

Then, rather than drive a manual, why not ride a horse to your destination?

Old 04-16-2019, 01:35 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
I just taught my 16 now 17 year old son how to drive a stick. His 1st driving lesson was in my Honda Accord manual.
Took him about 2 hour of driving around to get the hang of it.
Me And my son both watched this guys videos first and i think helped in the learning curb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waeOibnmuJk

Old 04-16-2019, 01:48 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's worse than that. There's also the high beam switch down there on older cars and occasionally the emergency brake pedal. Five things to control with your feet.

I recall back in the day being able to drive a manual transmission, smoke a cigarette, roll a controlled substance, and not spill my beer. My car had a CB radio. I didn't have power steering or power brakes. It was crank windows and I had to use a key to open the door.
They say multi-tasking is good for your brain. But there's a problem...there is appropriate multitasking (making decisions for a non-sentient 1 ton piece of machinery) and inappropriate multitasking (blogging and eating a taco while making decisions for the same non-sentient 1 ton piece of machinery)

Old 04-16-2019, 02:05 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
But why, some say, drive manual? Why choose this as our means? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 95 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?

We choose to go with a manual. We choose to go with a manual in our travels and to do the other things, not because they are easy, but because (some think) they are hard, because that means will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one with which we intend to arrive!
You forgot "Why did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor?"

Old 04-16-2019, 02:26 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
They say multi-tasking is good for your brain. But there's a problem...there is appropriate multitasking (making decisions for a non-sentient 1 ton piece of machinery) and inappropriate multitasking (blogging and eating a taco while making decisions for the same non-sentient 1 ton piece of machinery)
The EyeSight lane crossing alarm on my Outback conclusively tells me that I can’t have my eyes on my iPhone and stay centered in the lane. I don’t think a taco would be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive