U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-03-2019, 07:39 AM
 
13,347 posts, read 15,249,424 times
Reputation: 17922

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
In any case most restaurants here in those urban areas are right on the street front unless they have their own parking so there wouldn't usually be anywhere to drop off and pick up cars with a valet system anyway. Perhaps people just put up with walking further from parking spots?
A lot of people do just walk, or take ubers or other forms of transportation. I specifically avoid valet parking for some of the reasons discussed in this thread. A lot of places i've gone had it optional, but i usually just drop the wife off to put our name in for a table, and go park the car. When it's time to leave i go get the car and pick her up. I don't mind the exercise, and hate the idea of tipping a stranger $20 to drive my car 100 feet around the corner and hope they don't damage something in my car.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 05-03-2019, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
6,803 posts, read 3,170,700 times
Reputation: 6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
A lot of people do just walk, or take ubers or other forms of transportation. I specifically avoid valet parking for some of the reasons discussed in this thread. A lot of places i've gone had it optional, but i usually just drop the wife off to put our name in for a table, and go park the car. When it's time to leave i go get the car and pick her up. I don't mind the exercise, and hate the idea of tipping a stranger $20 to drive my car 100 feet around the corner and hope they don't damage something in my car.
I never let anyone drive my vehicle i always park my own vehicles but i don’t go to fancy restaurants or shows either.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-05-2019, 05:23 PM
 
Location: London U.K.
2,233 posts, read 1,072,166 times
Reputation: 4805
I don’t if I can avoid it, BUT, in U.K., when you take your driving test, if you pass it in a vehicle with a stick shift, you’ll be licenced to drive anything in that bracket, be it stick or auto.
Take and pass it it in an auto, and you’ll be restricted to auto only.
I took my initial driving test in a flat bed 3 ton stick shift truck in 1957, this licenced me to drive stick and auto vehicles up to 10 ton trucks, and any car.
I got a job driving trucks at age 18, and at 21, the transport manager of the company signed a licence application that said that I was capable of driving articulated trucks, I then moved up to 18 wheelers.
When I took my taxi driving test in London, circa 1972, I took it in a stick shift cab, I never ever worked one, always auto, but if I’d NEEDED to rent a stick, I was licenced for it.
I only ever owned auto taxis, and my wife is of the same mind as me, who needs 3 pedals, all you need is one to make it go, and one to make it stop.
Car enthusiasts might like stick, as they zoom up and down hills, all my wife and I were interested in was getting from A to B in a relaxed manner, and for me, driving a taxi in London traffic, no way did I want to keep shifting gears.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-08-2019, 06:46 AM
 
866 posts, read 376,884 times
Reputation: 717
Default Consider these comparisons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I don’t if I can avoid it, BUT, in U.K., when you take your driving test, if you pass it in a vehicle with a stick shift, you’ll be licenced to drive anything in that bracket, be it stick or auto.
Take and pass it it in an auto, and you’ll be restricted to auto only.
I took my initial driving test in a flat bed 3 ton stick shift truck in 1957, this licenced me to drive stick and auto vehicles up to 10 ton trucks, and any car.
I got a job driving trucks at age 18, and at 21, the transport manager of the company signed a licence application that said that I was capable of driving articulated trucks, I then moved up to 18 wheelers.
When I took my taxi driving test in London, circa 1972, I took it in a stick shift cab, I never ever worked one, always auto, but if I’d NEEDED to rent a stick, I was licenced for it.
I only ever owned auto taxis, and my wife is of the same mind as me, who needs 3 pedals, all you need is one to make it go, and one to make it stop.
Car enthusiasts might like stick, as they zoom up and down hills, all my wife and I were interested in was getting from A to B in a relaxed manner, and for me, driving a taxi in London traffic, no way did I want to keep shifting gears.


CVT drives and automatic transmissions actually do have a lengthy history, ask any industrial electrician / mechanic. I used to install change and rebuild those drives and belts in the early 1970's they drove conveyors and packaging machinery for the most part. The speed control of these drives varied as well sometimes manually controlled but also by air pressure or fluid. I also just checked and see all those belts and drives are available all over the web, they are. Of the transmissions available I'll say this. The manufacturing plant I worked at was a 24-7 operation. Of the four transmissions we have on cars today we had many similar drives in all four categories. We had an annual plant shut down every July for two weeks, in which we as mechanics would rebuild or service everything that was in need of rebuilding or servicing throughout the plant . The bottom line is the fluid drive stuff never held up nor did the CVT belt driven stuff, as compared to the manual gear boxes You could smell the failed belt driven stuff throughout the plant when they failed. The lines or equipment that was driven by gear boxes driving very heavy loads with SCR DC motors or AC frequency controlled motor drives also ran 24-7. When these drives were dialed in correctly (via dial indicator) upon setup they lasted for decades with just oil changes. That translated to a million plus miles on a standard transmission. Tens of Millions of long haul truckers have had manual transmissions that routinely reached 1,000,000 plus miles with nothing more then oil changes also. My favorite manual transmission was the 13speed during my years as a steel hauler.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,791 posts, read 3,632,433 times
Reputation: 3293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Is valet parking at restaurants etc a regular thing in the US?

I know it is in Los Angeles, where I'm from. Like others have stated, when parking is a premium, valet is usually an option; sometimes it's mandatory. Most places I've been to has been to are nicer restaurants, but not always. Had to valet once at a PF Changs just due to lack of parking.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-08-2019, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
15,820 posts, read 50,892,604 times
Reputation: 15606
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I know it is in Los Angeles, where I'm from. Like others have stated, when parking is a premium, valet is usually an option; sometimes it's mandatory. Most places I've been to has been to are nicer restaurants, but not always. Had to valet once at a PF Changs just due to lack of parking.



As the Duke would say: "That'll be the day, Pilgrim!" Me, I would have went somewhere else.


All that said, I would never take even my beater cars downtown in LA. Rental or pound sand.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-11-2019, 11:15 AM
 
4 posts, read 1,099 times
Reputation: 10
Driving a manual makes me feel confident and safe whenever I overtake in narrow roads.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-11-2019, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
18,222 posts, read 32,415,535 times
Reputation: 14387
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
As the Duke would say: "That'll be the day, Pilgrim!" Me, I would have went somewhere else.


All that said, I would never take even my beater cars downtown in LA. Rental or pound sand.
Not even after the poop scoopers have cleaned the streets? This is no joke. Street defecating is quite common in LA, and SF, so there are crews assigned to scoop poop

https://www.dailywire.com/news/46713...-emily-zanotti

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-11-2019 at 12:12 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-11-2019, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
18,222 posts, read 32,415,535 times
Reputation: 14387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofzombies View Post
Driving a manual makes me feel confident and safe whenever I overtake in narrow roads.
It is a lot of fun driving a stick in a narrow road with lots of turns and downhills. Once you get good at it, the brakes aren't used that much. Besides that, it feels as if you are in-tune with the motor, plus the tires and the road. This is hard to put into words.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2019, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
29,605 posts, read 71,684,695 times
Reputation: 36893
I first learned not to valet in Los Angeles at a fancy restaurant. Someone pulled the fire alarm. We all ran out including the valets. Even though it was a false alarm, it took two hours to get everything sorted out so I could get my keys and leave. I want more control over my access to my car than that. Now of course I am not interested in letting them try to fire out how to drive a manual transmission. Also I park in a garage where a fancy hotel/restaurant has its valet parking. The valets abuse the fancy cars they are entrusted with and many of them literally have no idea how to drive. two even drive n the wrong side of the lanes - always. I think they are from a country where they drive on the left side of the road. I have had near collisions with them five or six times. They do not seem to care. I saw one guy hit a car while backing in. He got out looked at it and then moved to different space so he would not be held responsible. I left a note on he damaged car telling them what I saw, ut I never heard form them. The valet may have removed the note. Wthing them, made me realize how truly terrible valets are.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top