Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2019, 03:55 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I drove a MT and could still Text and drive before it became law that you couldn’t. I can walk and chew bubble gum also. What’s so difficult about a MT some on here act like it’s so difficult to drive. Hell they were out long before the automatic transmission. Driving a manual is a easier than he’ll i can drive any type of manual transmission sure miss the 3 on the tree. But 4 on the floor was a blast to drive in my day.
Okay, Grandpa Simpson

Pepperidge Farm remembers............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXUxLqqmhNs

Old 05-25-2019, 08:33 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Okay, Grandpa Simpson

Pepperidge Farm remembers............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXUxLqqmhNs
At least i can drive a MT unlike most on here , he’ll most on here see a pay phone and wonder what it is and how do you use them. And people who think vehicles with the fake manual transmission on their automatic is the same thing a a real MT is truly sad.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:32 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
At least i can drive a MT unlike most on here , he’ll most on here see a pay phone and wonder what it is and how do you use them. And people who think vehicles with the fake manual transmission on their automatic is the same thing a a real MT is truly sad.
Yeah, Ive driven plenty of manuals. Tko500, tr6060, t56, 3 on a tree, and numerous others. Ive also got experience with plenty of automatics. If you think a manual equipped vehicle can compete with a quality DCT equipped vehicle in a performance application, you're still living in the past.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:38 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,740,642 times
I prefer an MT on smaller cars and an AT on bigger ones. I currently have a Grand Cherokee and it is AT. Before that I had a 2001 Honda CR-V with a 5-MT. It was hard shopping for that because almost all were ATs. For the CR-V I wanted the MT because with its 4-banger it was underpowered, and if I needed the power I could always downshift or shift later. I preferred that level of control over the AT. With the AT that CR-V felt gutless, while with the MT it could be peppy. It’s original clutch lasted 213,000 miles, BTW, and I drove in the San Francisco hills frequently, and I did a fair amount of towing with it, including towing cars and small pickups. It was a great little car.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:24 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo7tango View Post
I prefer an MT on smaller cars and an AT on bigger ones. I currently have a Grand Cherokee and it is AT. Before that I had a 2001 Honda CR-V with a 5-MT. It was hard shopping for that because almost all were ATs. For the CR-V I wanted the MT because with its 4-banger it was underpowered, and if I needed the power I could always downshift or shift later. I preferred that level of control over the AT. With the AT that CR-V felt gutless, while with the MT it could be peppy. It’s original clutch lasted 213,000 miles, BTW, and I drove in the San Francisco hills frequently, and I did a fair amount of towing with it, including towing cars and small pickups. It was a great little car.
With all the cars I have owned (all with automatic transmissions), I could downshift or shift later manually.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:43 AM

6 posts, read 3,423 times
I do drive because:

- You’ll Get Better Fuel Economy
- It's Simpler and More Reliable
- Not Many People Will Ask to Borrow Your Car
- It's Safer
- If You Know How to Drive a Manual, You Can Drive All Cars
- You’ll Have Better Control Over Your Vehicle
- It’s A Great Anti-Theft System
- The Ole Battery Start Trick
- Manual Transmissions Cost Less
- It’ll Make You Cooler
- Driving a Manual is More Fun

Old 05-27-2019, 06:45 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianaray View Post
I do drive because:

- You’ll Get Better Fuel Economy
- It's Simpler and More Reliable
- Not Many People Will Ask to Borrow Your Car
- It's Safer
- If You Know How to Drive a Manual, You Can Drive All Cars
- You’ll Have Better Control Over Your Vehicle
- It’s A Great Anti-Theft System
- The Ole Battery Start Trick
- Manual Transmissions Cost Less
- It’ll Make You Cooler
- Driving a Manual is More Fun
I’ve pushed start many manual transmission vehicles in my life sometimes just for fun, and yes if you have a manual transmission no on will steal your vehicle, one of the best anti theft device today.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
The whole point of a sports car is to have precise control of the car's dynamics. That is what a manual transmission does far better than any automatic ever will.

An automatic cannot "see" and react to the fact that you are about to suddenly climb or descend a hill, or that you are going into a corner hot and need the engine to keep at a steady RPM (and therefore a steady power output). An automatic cannot know when you are safely beyond the steady-state section of a curve and ready to apply a lot of power.

As time passes, AI cars may approach this level of intelligence, thus controlling the transmission correctly, but not in my lifetime.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 05-27-2019 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-27-2019, 07:49 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The whole point of a sports car is to have precise control of the car's dynamics. That is what a manual transmission does far better than any automatic ever will.

An automatic cannot "see" and react to the fact that you are about to suddenly climb or descend a hill, or that you are going into a corner hot and need the engine to keep at a steady RPM (and therefore a steady power output). An automatic cannot know when you are safely beyond the steady-state section of a curve and ready to apply a lot of power.

As time passes, AI cars may approach this level of intelligence, thus controlling the transmission correctly, but not in my lifetime.
My automatic does a pretty good job of all that 90% of the time with no input from me, but I can select gears manually if I choose to, and no manual will ever lay down the lap times or 1/4 mile times of a modern DCT automatic, or get as good of fuel economy.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:29 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
My automatic does a pretty good job of all that 90% of the time with no input from me, but I can select gears manually if I choose to, and no manual will ever lay down the lap times or 1/4 mile times of a modern DCT automatic, or get as good of fuel economy.
It's the 10% of the time that will get you killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive