U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 04:45 PM

15,861 posts, read 32,887,116 times

Advertisements

Because it's fun. The light turns green and my Mustang is 6 car lengths beyond the mini van who doesn't even know whats going on. lol
Rate this post positively

Old 04-17-2019, 05:05 PM

2,458 posts, read 831,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
I want to choose which gear I'm in, not let some mechanical or digital device make that choice for me.

If you're doing 6000 rpm in 3rd gear, can you make the choice to shift down to 2nd or 1st just because you want it to be there and not damage the car? I posit that you can only shift when it's appropriate for the car. Which is exactly what a good automatic does. The CAR is telling you what gear it should be in at any given point. You ignore that at your own peril.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The point of this is very little shock load on the driveline and very little wear on the clutch. This does take more time than a "speed shift" of course, but if you have driven a Scirocco, for one thing, the shifter action is not one of the car's most compelling points, and with a more or less stock 1.7 liter engine, straight line acceleration is not going to be anything to write home about in any case. So I avoid beating on it.

Having owned a '77 Scirocco 1.7 and an '81 Jetta with the 5 speed, I know exactly what you mean.

Quote:

You do make a good point about adapting to a particular car, to paraphrase, you cooperate with the car and its design, rather than fight it. That seems to be something that some people can do, and some can't do it and can't in my experience be taught.

Yeah, I call it "mechanical sympathy" and a lot of people just don't have it. lol!

Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Because it's fun. The light turns green and my Mustang is 6 car lengths beyond the mini van who doesn't even know whats going on. lol

That can be done with any transmission in that Mustang...

My V8 RX7 launched REAL hard with the sticky tires and the built AOD automatic. And bark the tires into every gear, including overdrive, shifting faster than I could manually. Perfect for track use, which is what it was built for. And massive amounts of fun. It would also pull 1.2G laterally, for hard cornering power. THAT was massive fun, too.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:19 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,085,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
My V8 RX7 launched REAL hard with the sticky tires and the built AOD automatic. And bark the tires into every gear, including overdrive, shifting faster than I could manually. Perfect for track use, which is what it was built for. And massive amounts of fun. It would also pull 1.2G laterally, for hard cornering power. THAT was massive fun, too.
That is the proverbial apples-to oranges comparison. My humble Camry has 268 hp, but its automatic transmission is... limited. If it could be tuned for brutal, neck-snapping shifts, I would love that - even if it meant 12 mpg, and a new transmission every 20K miles.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:37 PM

1,000 posts, read 550,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
To pi** leftists off because they know they won't be able to buy used manual cars. It's like all they do is whine about telling someone to buy something they want from them later on.
I'm a leftie and I drive a manual.

Lots of "reasons" to drive a manual for me, but I think ultimately the reason is just that I like to.

Here are some of my justifications:

-I tend to own high mileage cars. I've never purchased one with *less* than 150k miles, and manual transmissions typically greatly outlast automatics.

-In EPA tests automatics often get better fuel economy ratings, but in the real world manuals usually win, even if the gearing is shorter. I currently own a Fit and an Insight (both manual). My girlfriend averages ~47mpg in her Fit, a bit better in the summer and a bit worse in winter.

-I think it's more fun and engaging. I drive an automatic while at work, and while I enjoy it too, I can't wait to get into my car.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:46 PM

15,809 posts, read 50,856,905 times
"I shift, therefore I am."

Old 04-17-2019, 05:52 PM

3,789 posts, read 3,374,046 times
Because it’s fun, and gives you more control.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:10 PM

48,224 posts, read 69,175,104 times
It's fun to drive and it's good to know how to drive, especially if you travel a lot overseas. Most AT rentals are much more expensive than MT.
Also, MT it's easier to maintain and repair. Less costly too.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:30 PM

1,124 posts, read 765,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
If you're doing 6000 rpm in 3rd gear, can you make the choice to shift down to 2nd or 1st just because you want it to be there and not damage the car? I posit that you can only shift when it's appropriate for the car. Which is exactly what a good automatic does. The CAR is telling you what gear it should be in at any given point. You ignore that at your own peril.
Somehow I always now what gear is appropriate at any given time. How do I know? It's a mystery.

But if I need to be in a different gear, I don't have to wait for the transmission to make that decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.