U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 11,566,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The least mentally alert drivers are the ones with cruse control on.
Not true at all. You have to be mentally alert to watch the speed conditions around you in order to adjust the cruise control. The benefit of cruise control is purely physical.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-17-2020, 12:19 PM

3,952 posts, read 3,789,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not true at all. You have to be mentally alert to watch the speed conditions around you in order to adjust the cruise control. The benefit of cruise control is purely physical.
But not false either, as with most of the assumptions and personal antidotes on this and the close thread, mine included.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:57 PM

780 posts, read 500,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Never drove a stick nick and never will jill. I can't think of less fun way to drive my C7 Vette in my wall to wall traffic and red lights every 100ft. I guess out in the country maybe i would give it a whirl. Bad enough my leg is bissy with going WOT and hitting the breaks jake. I would need 2 legs meg for a stick.
What is with all these weird name rhymes in all of your posts? Who are you talking to?

Also (this is just a general observation, not targeted at anyone in particular), I think it's strange how, every time one of these threads gets stirred up, a bunch of people come out of the woodwork saying that they've never driven a manual, and never will, but manual definitely sucks. Or that the idea of a manual is cool, but it's too impractical because they have to deal with all of this bumper-to-bumper traffic in their city, but somehow they're also constantly driving at full throttle 100% of the time, and also putting down hot laps on the racetrack that apparently is located in their backyard, and also stuck in the carpool lane at their kids' school, all at the same time! Wtf

ALSO, we just had a similar thread shut down because it is apparent that people who only drive manuals and people who only drive automatics aren't going to see eye to eye. We all have our own personal preferences - I prefer manual - but please be open-minded and willing to try fully driving a manual/automatic around for a bit (by which I mean, drive it regularly, not just around a parking lot once) before making up your mind.

Last edited by nicholas_n; 05-17-2020 at 01:10 PM..

Old 05-17-2020, 02:35 PM

22,495 posts, read 14,722,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
What is with all these weird name rhymes in all of your posts? Who are you talking to?

Also (this is just a general observation, not targeted at anyone in particular), I think it's strange how, every time one of these threads gets stirred up, a bunch of people come out of the woodwork saying that they've never driven a manual, and never will, but manual definitely sucks. Or that the idea of a manual is cool, but it's too impractical because they have to deal with all of this bumper-to-bumper traffic in their city, but somehow they're also constantly driving at full throttle 100% of the time, and also putting down hot laps on the racetrack that apparently is located in their backyard, and also stuck in the carpool lane at their kids' school, all at the same time! Wtf

ALSO, we just had a similar thread shut down because it is apparent that people who only drive manuals and people who only drive automatics aren't going to see eye to eye. We all have our own personal preferences - I prefer manual - but please be open-minded and willing to try fully driving a manual/automatic around for a bit (by which I mean, drive it regularly, not just around a parking lot once) before making up your mind.
I am typing not talking. Just the same few think others should drive a car with a stick and others are dumb if they drive a auto trans man. I have tried to use the paddles in all my C6's and now a C7 and it always feels like the car is forced to slow down or hits the rev limiter.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:28 PM

23,734 posts, read 30,509,664 times
Quote:

But the anti-automatic people can be irrational. In a post a few years ago, someone said, "If you drive a car with an automatic, you are choosing to be handicapped." Just a "little" of an overreaction!

Old 05-17-2020, 04:51 PM

11,684 posts, read 7,350,913 times
Quote:
...I think it's strange how, every time one of these threads gets stirred up, a bunch of people come out of the woodwork saying that they've never driven a manual, and never will, but manual definitely sucks. Or that the idea of a manual is cool, but it's too impractical because they have to deal with all of this bumper-to-bumper traffic in their city, but somehow they're also constantly driving at full throttle 100% of the time, and also putting down hot laps on the racetrack that apparently is located in their backyard, and also stuck in the carpool lane at their kids' school, all at the same time!
My belief is that drivers who formerly drove stick-shifts, but no longer do; or those who never much cared for a stick-shift; or those who have overwhelming preference for the newest-everything in technology.... find themselves to be challenged, or even outright insulted, by suggestion that a stick-shift is somehow superior. It comes to be taken personally. Thus, advocates of stick-shifts are dismissed as being antiquated, narrow-minded, or otherwise deficient in judgment.

By way of attempting a summary, it seems to me, that stick-shifts offer a spirited driver a chance to drive in spirited way, even if the car is low-powered and economy-oriented and otherwise unsuited to performance. With an automatic in the same car, the driver's options are much circumscribed. If instead we go to a more performance-oriented car, then the stick-shift's advantages narrow, and perhaps reverse.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:17 PM

7,941 posts, read 7,818,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Never drove a stick nick and never will jill. I can't think of less fun way to drive my C7 Vette in my wall to wall traffic and red lights every 100ft. I guess out in the country maybe i would give it a whirl. Bad enough my leg is bissy with going WOT and hitting the breaks jake. I would need 2 legs meg for a stick.
LOL, sounds like you need a new place to live a lot worse than that Corvette.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:26 PM

780 posts, read 500,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But the anti-automatic people can be irrational. In a post a few years ago, someone said, "If you drive a car with an automatic, you are choosing to be handicapped." Just a "little" of an overreaction!
So...? The anti-manual crowd can be just as irrational. Anyone can be completely irrational about anything. I noticed quite a few posts in the last (now closed) thread from anti-manual posters that a) were completely ignorant of very basic facts that they were attempting to include in their posts, and/or b) implied that anyone who drives a manual is "paleolithic", a "geezer", or something along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My belief is that drivers who formerly drove stick-shifts, but no longer do; or those who never much cared for a stick-shift; or those who have overwhelming preference for the newest-everything in technology.... find themselves to be challenged, or even outright insulted, by suggestion that a stick-shift is somehow superior. It comes to be taken personally. Thus, advocates of stick-shifts are dismissed as being antiquated, narrow-minded, or otherwise deficient in judgment.

By way of attempting a summary, it seems to me, that stick-shifts offer a spirited driver a chance to drive in spirited way, even if the car is low-powered and economy-oriented and otherwise unsuited to performance. With an automatic in the same car, the driver's options are much circumscribed. If instead we go to a more performance-oriented car, then the stick-shift's advantages narrow, and perhaps reverse.
Idk. My dad daily drove a manual from when he was a teenager until about five years ago. When he bought his current car last year, his preference was something with an automatic. I encouraged him to go back to manual, because his previous automatic car (the first automatic he ever bought for himself) ended up having a terrible transmission that was on the brink of failure when he stopped driving it. However, he ended up getting another automatic car because he just does not derive as much joy from shifting gears anymore. I have driven his current car quite a few times, and while it is an excellent interstate cruiser, it would be made better in all other areas if it had a manual. I suspect deep down he agrees, but he says he has gotten "lazy". lol

Last edited by nicholas_n; 05-17-2020 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-17-2020, 08:28 PM

7,941 posts, read 7,818,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

It simple, no real car or driving enthusiast would ever say that a car that shifts itself is more fun to drive than a 3-pedal manual, ever, ever, ever. The latest auto-shifting manuals might technically be faster on a track. That's great if you're trying to win the Indy 500 or the Monaco Grand Prix, otherwise it doesn't matter. Whichever one is more fun to drive on the street is what matters.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:07 PM

1,136 posts, read 807,812 times
From "Slow Car Fast":
"Big power is out and perfect balance is in. That’s the sentiment at hundreds of car shows across the country, as a new generation of automotive enthusiasts swarms the scene. They tend to be less interested in vehicles with the most power possible. Instead, it’s all about handling, responsiveness and -- most of all -- driving character.

"As production cars have become more powerful, the availability of speed has oversaturated the market with muscle. It was once outlaw to drive a car with 300 horsepower. Today there’s a Toyota Camry offering that much grunt. It also gets 30 mpg. There are dozens of cars that go 0-60 mph in less than four seconds, and a growing number that can reach it in under three. “In the last 10-15 years, mass-market cars have gained so much performance that 0-60 is pretty much irrelevant,” one test driver for a major manufacturer told me. Do we really need all this speed?

"Enthusiasts are looking for new thrills in response. These drivers, fueled by a Millennial thirst for tactile feedback, celebrate all aspects of the driving experience."

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/a2...us-horsepower/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.