U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:16 AM

10,302 posts, read 14,457,428 times

Advertisements

To be "one" with the car.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-18-2019, 11:37 AM
NDL

3,907 posts, read 4,518,052 times
I drive a manual transmission because I find shifting a more enjoyable driving experience, and for longevity purposes.

I keep my vehicles for a very long time, and modern automatics can be fickle, and very costly, to repair. Manual transmissions are much more reliable over the long haul.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:43 AM

29,633 posts, read 71,802,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I drive a manual transmission because I find shifting a more enjoyable driving experience, and for longevity purposes.

I keep my vehicles for a very long time, and modern automatics can be fickle, and very costly, to repair. Manual transmissions are much more reliable over the long haul.
This too.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 PM

588 posts, read 218,741 times
I drove an MT when I was a kid to be "kewl". Later on, when I became an adult, I wanted my comfort, AC, AT.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:30 PM

14,579 posts, read 8,799,399 times
I drove a manual transmission car for over 40 years because I always had a convertible, sports car and it was the standard install for my cars.

I share one car now and my spouse doesn't know how to drive a manual transmission. we have an automatic, 4 door sedan.....practical, boring, and comfortable.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 04-18-2019 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-18-2019, 02:46 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,640,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Besides the factors of personal fun and driver-engagement, I prefer manuals because I dislike the decisions that automatics make. Sure, they can shift much faster and more precisely than I could, but they don't do this at the right time, for the right reason. When driving an automatic, too often I find myself disagreeing with its decision to shift up or down, or its decision to not shift at all. I cringe in dissatisfied and impotent frustration.
I saw a few people mentioned this and I had never thought about that, but I guess this falls under me wanting to control the car. That's always been my biggest frustration with AT's. Half the time I'd be like, WHY!!! LOL. Good thing it's not just me.

Quote:
A modern manual may not deliver better mileage or even better performance, vs. a modern automatic. But it delivers what I want, when I want it. And that is ultimately what matters the most.
Totally me!

Old 04-18-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
I drive a manual because I like it better. The only car I've driven with an automated clutch (Ferrari 430 Scuderia) was better than I expected, but I suspect once the novelty of paddle shifters wore off, I'd want a real manual. All of the regular automatics I've driven have been complete garbage.

Side note: if your gear changes are rough in a manual, you're doing it wrong. I've seen (and felt) lots of people who try to speed shift through the gears when there's no point, and don't rev-match on downshifts which is both unsettling to passengers and tough on a clutch.
My ex had paddle shifters. I drove his car a few times. It was fun, but overall I hated the shifters as my legs/feet were bored. LOL. One thing I haven't decided on yet, was paddle shifters connected to the wheel (turns when you turn) or not (stays stationary as you turn). I'd assume the former, IF you can keep your hands on the wheel in the same place during a turn, otherwise, your screwed (that's what happened to me a few times). I guess it's also about getting used to it. I refuse to until I'm forced to. LOL.

I don't rev-match, mostly because it's hard to do with heels on and get it right. But I've learned to adjust to the car slowing down and when to engage again. My car racer xbf had no clue I wasn't heel-toeing it and wondered a few times when I took my shoes off. I give any woman credit for being able to heel/toe it in heels. So I figure, if he can't tell, then I'm doing something right.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's fun to drive and it's good to know how to drive, especially if you travel a lot overseas. Most AT rentals are much more expensive than MT.
Also, MT it's easier to maintain and repair. Less costly too.

Good point. When I was planning a trip to Scotland I was told almost all the cars were MT. Granted, I believe they drive on the other side, which meant learning curve for me, but at least I know I can drive pretty much any car at any time.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:59 PM

Oh, I added another item I like about driving MT. I can drive pretty much any car. I have taught most of my female friends to drive stick or at least to understand how to drive one, JUST IN CASE they ever have to drive one. Granted, with Uber/Lyft/mobile phones, it's not as much as an issue as it was in the past, but I've been called to pick up my friends because no one can either drive the MT car or they plan on leaving the person WITH the MT behind. LOL.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:38 PM

407 posts, read 916,336 times
With all the driving I do might as well I have a little fun while doing it. Drove too many miles with snooze fest automatic.

I got surprised by a really steep incline today, it slopes down into an underground garage for a 9 story hospital. Very steep, the kind that many automatics will roll too, but I'm pretty good with hills so no worries. I knew it was going roll fast but what surprised me the car kept rolling(it didn't stall or act like it was trying to but it wasn't moving up), with someone behind me. Oh shoot!! Brake!! The person gave enough space, so I repeat and give it more gas this time. I love manual transmissions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.