U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 07:27 AM

22,155 posts, read 27,605,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
yeah, I towed heavy loads with a manual Ford truck. That's why I prefer automatics to tow with. My 8.1 liter Suburban has an 4L85E that's about as good as the Allisons behind the diesels. So much smoother to tow with. And much easier to maneuver the trailer slowly in the campground than a manual was. Especially in slightly hilly campgrounds.
I have no issues towing with my standard shift. Or maneuvering in campgrounds. I can choose what gear I need to be in instead of screaming my engine up or down hills. And since I have a Gearvendors overdrive I can split my gears even further. But to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Not true for modern automotive automatics in passenger cars.
I've had broken shift forks, broken synchros, snapped output shafts in MTs. My first mechanical job as a kid with a car in high school was rebuilding a Ford C6 automatic that needed new seals, so I replaced all the seals, clutch packs, bands, and went through the valve body with a shift kit. So automatics are not a magic box to me, just another mechanical means of transferring power to the drive wheels. I'm not scared of them, but that was the ONLY automatic I've ever had that was "broken" (though I've rebuilt many automatics for racing use).
[b]
Disclaimer, I've owned 130 cars and trucks, half with automatics.

I’m still on my original clutch at 165,000 miles and shifts fine. ZF6 diesel. Ford “recommended” the replacement at 100,000 miles. Yeah I’ll think about replacing it in about 35,000 miles. I’ve had standard shifts on a few cars and I never had to touch the clutch or internals. There is no reason for any of those things to break unless you just beat the f out of your trans. Are you a ham fisted type of driver? Rest your hand on the shifter? Ride the clutch? Burn outs? You must be hammering those transmissions to break output shafts.
Having 65 standard shift cars doesn’t mean you are good at driving a standard shift. It’s like having a huge gun collection doesn’t mean you’re a good shooter.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 04-21-2019 at 07:37 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 04-21-2019, 10:35 AM

14,163 posts, read 4,309,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
However I don't think anything is incredible about driving stick. It's like walking and chewing gum, I'm not proud I can walk and chew gum either.
Disagree, walking and chewing gum would be driving an automatic.

The entire reason to even drive manual, is because it requires more work than just sitting there. Especially if you're driving in heavy traffic or have stopped on an incline.

If you're driving a sportscar, why would you want the computer doing all the work?

Old 04-21-2019, 11:13 AM

23,693 posts, read 30,240,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
MT becuz...
Economy; 10 - 20% better in MT
dependability; Have NEVER had a broken MT, several Broken AT's. 'bump start?'... hundreds of times in last 50+ yrs with MT (saved my bacon...)

safety; 50% + of my driving is in mtns. I am not so trusting of BRAKES only (Especially when towing / running a truck down a mtn pass with 105,500 GCVW. )

Disclaimer... I currently own 38 cars, 9 MC, 5 trucks... (2) with Auto trannies...
It's not brakes only with automatics. You can downshift an automatic... I've done it many times.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:19 AM

18,220 posts, read 32,408,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Manuals are cool but several manufacturers no longer offer them (Ferrari/Lambo/Audi/Mercedes, the last two in USA only).

I currently own 2 (2015/2016 cars). You do have to ask if the valet can drive stick, a few times they honestly say no they can't.

My kids drive manual trans for a few reasons:

1. Life skill, if you can drive a manual you can drive everything from a tractor to car/truck
2. Keeps hands on the car vs. texting
3. Keeps other people's kids from driving your car. "Hey can I take your car to the store"....oh wait its stick, I can't drive that!

In one kid's case, it got them a job! Valet job was an instant hire when they mentioned they drive manual transmission in their personal car. At a high end country club they usually get 2-3 manuals a night (higher than I expected from a place that is loaded with Tesla-Bentley-Rolls)
4. If your kids ever drive overseas, in a lot of places automatic transmissions aren't as common.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:25 AM

18,220 posts, read 32,408,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's not brakes only with automatics. You can downshift an automatic... I've done it many times.
You can downshift an automatic transmission, but not to the degree of a manual. With a manual, if you really know how to use the transmission and clutch, you make minimum use of the brakes.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:33 AM

2,470 posts, read 834,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I have no issues towing with my standard shift. Or maneuvering in campgrounds. I can choose what gear I need to be in instead of screaming my engine up or down hills. And since I have a Gearvendors overdrive I can split my gears even further. But to each his own.

I can choose what gear I'm in with the 4l85E as well. ZDone't know why you guys think you can't be. Slow speed backing up up a slight hill is vastly easier with an automatic, too, when your maneuvering around the campground.

Quote:
I’m still on my original clutch at 165,000 miles and shifts fine.

I'm at that with my 4L85e in teh Suburban and it shifts fina dn is on the original trans (the fluid has been changed). I've also had 185k and 200k on the original trans and fluid in my BMWs (bought at 143 and 150k respectively). No problems. Don't know why you guys think that they can't last.

Quote:
There is no reason for any of those things to break unless you just beat the f out of your trans. Are you a ham fisted type of driver? Rest your hand on the shifter? Ride the clutch? Burn outs? You must be hammering those transmissions to break output shafts.

Iv'e bought most of my cars used and the ones with these problems have had them from day 1, not from me. I've also worked on cars with these problems, especially drag cars.

Quote:

Having 65 standard shift cars doesn’t mean you are good at driving a standard shift. It’s like having a huge gun collection doesn’t mean you’re a good shooter.

I'm a better driver than you are an my competition trophies can attest to it. I never said *I* broke them, just that I've had them and I've worked on them, so try again.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,768 posts, read 47,944,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
but... it will not STOP you (and you MUST have a lock-up converter (which cars seldom have) )

Try it with 105,500# pushing you down the hill.

Yes, some newer semi's with 'lock-up' automatics can slow down on downhills, but... definitely not he same level of control for multi-grades and switchbacks and curves.

Brakes are improved and help. Until they don't... (fade / heat)

I'll stick with a stick TYVM

YMMV

Old 04-22-2019, 08:42 AM

3,530 posts, read 3,505,099 times
It's a great theft deterrent. Car thieves see the stick and pick another car to lift.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:52 AM

13,345 posts, read 15,238,691 times
I just enjoy it better. One of my (performance) cars is a stick, and it's just a difference experience after commuting 99% of the time in a Automatic car.

I realize modern automatics aren't what they used to be and are legit performance transmissions, but i'd still rather go slower to have a clutch pedal.

If I were buying a Toyota Camry, i'll take it in automatic. If I was buying a Shelby GT350, i'll take the 6-spd. The GT500 will come with a DCT as the only option...i'd drive it and not complain one bit.

When I used to have a daily driver with a stick, what got annoying was when you'd need to let people drive the car and they can't drive stick. Valet? Car wash attendant? Annual vehicle inspection? Want to go out and have a DD drive your car home? No fun when the other person can't drive stick. After smelling my clutch one too many time, I just had to insist on being the only person who could drive it

Old 04-22-2019, 11:56 AM

23,693 posts, read 30,240,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You can downshift an automatic transmission, but not to the degree of a manual. With a manual, if you really know how to use the transmission and clutch, you make minimum use of the brakes.
I can drive down some mild-to-moderate downhill inclines with my cars in 2nd gear without having to use the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
but... it will not STOP you (and you MUST have a lock-up converter (which cars seldom have) )

Try it with 105,500# pushing you down the hill.

Yes, some newer semi's with 'lock-up' automatics can slow down on downhills, but... definitely not he same level of control for multi-grades and switchbacks and curves.

Brakes are improved and help. Until they don't... (fade / heat)

I'll stick with a stick TYVM

YMMV
I was referring to cars, not semis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.