U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2019, 02:07 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,678,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
You do have to ask if the valet can drive stick, a few times they honestly say no they can't.

Ugh. I remember once dropping my car off with the valet and them revving and then grinding my gears. I debated on running after them to get my car back, but they got it. After that, never again, or yeah, I ask and they better be honest; I don't need anyone but me screwing with my clutch/transmission. LOL.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 PM

5,780 posts, read 3,411,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Ugh. I remember once dropping my car off with the valet and them revving and then grinding my gears. I debated on running after them to get my car back, but they got it. After that, never again, or yeah, I ask and they better be honest; I don't need anyone but me screwing with my clutch/transmission. LOL.

I would never hand my keys off to anybody I dont know. I have seen where people have dressed as the valet, and you just handed your keys off to a thief. Well, in my country azz town, there is no valet.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:31 PM

6,006 posts, read 4,153,777 times
I learned how to drive on a stick... a crappy Horizon 4 speed. My husband and I bought a Volkswagen Corrado and I love that car. That's when I really appreciated having manual transmission. It is so much more fun to drive.

Husband also did some engineer work for Lotus way back when and they gave him a Lotus Elise to test drive- back before there were any sold here in the US. It was very bare-bones, no frills. Bright yellow, fun to drive. Like driving a very, very fast go-kart. I was sad when we had to give it back after a week. Going back to driving my "normal" car was kind of boring after that.

The only time I don't enjoy driving a manual is through Chicago. Too much stopping and starting and my calf muscles get tired.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:37 PM

13,482 posts, read 15,669,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
I would never hand my keys off to anybody I dont know. I have seen where people have dressed as the valet, and you just handed your keys off to a thief. Well, in my country azz town, there is no valet.

I've pretty much started avoiding valets when I can...much to the chagrin of my wife.

Last 3 times I've used a Valet...

1.) Couldn't drive stick. Had to find out when he tried to learn, smoked the hell out of my clutch, and then I had to go park the car myself AFTER i gave him a tip when I pulled up. I didn't even get that back.

2.) Got my car back with the keyfob (keyless ignition) cracked with a button missing. No idea what happened. Hotel covered it

3.) Hotel valet parked my car and I didn't need it for 5 days due to staying local and using uber/bus/walk/etc. On the 5th day when I went to go home, battery was weak and wouldn't start car (it was 10 degrees out). They shrugged their shoulders and didn't help me much. Buddy jumped me, and I found interior lights were left on. (I never turn on interior lights...even to this day) Hotel still didn't do jack or admit fault. This was a brand new car at the time. 5 years later I've yet to have any other battery issues with the car and on the same battery.

Needless to say I just park my own damn car these days. I've had more problems than what it's worth

Old 04-24-2019, 02:43 PM

32,337 posts, read 15,081,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've pretty much started avoiding valets when I can...much to the chagrin of my wife.

Last 3 times I've used a Valet...

1.) Couldn't drive stick. Had to find out when he tried to learn, smoked the hell out of my clutch, and then I had to go park the car myself AFTER i gave him a tip when I pulled up. I didn't even get that back.

2.) Got my car back with the keyfob (keyless ignition) cracked with a button missing. No idea what happened. Hotel covered it

3.) Hotel valet parked my car and I didn't need it for 5 days due to staying local and using uber/bus/walk/etc. On the 5th day when I went to go home, battery was weak and wouldn't start car (it was 10 degrees out). They shrugged their shoulders and didn't help me much. Buddy jumped me, and I found interior lights were left on. (I never turn on interior lights...even to this day) Hotel still didn't do jack or admit fault. This was a brand new car at the time. 5 years later I've yet to have any other battery issues with the car and on the same battery.

Needless to say I just park my own damn car these days. I've had more problems than what it's worth
I'm with you. I never use valets, and I drive a manual transmission also. For some reason, by Ex-wife (emphasis on EX) always wanted me to use the valet at restaurants and other venues, but no way. Maybe because she didn't want to walk in four or five inch heels. So I would drop her off at the entrance, then go park the car.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:37 PM

15,878 posts, read 51,386,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post

Ha. I should start a thread on this. I don't use valet services, period. If I have to let the valet park my car to use your business, I'm not going to use your business.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 PM

8,310 posts, read 5,254,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Ha. I should start a thread on this. I don't use valet services, period. If I have to let the valet park my car to use your business, I'm not going to use your business.
Same here.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:15 PM

2,791 posts, read 3,678,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Yikes. I don't typically either, but some places I had to. For example, I liked to go to a specific nice restaurant in LA. I am not parking my car at some crappy lot or on the street. I'd rather take my chances. Those guys, because it is a famous nice restaurant, are "pros" and know how to drive MT.

So far, the only place the guy didn't know how to was when I had to park at an event where there wasn't a lot of parking anyways. So those guys, yeah, I didn't trust them anyways, but I didn't have much choice. Nearest parking would have been on the street in the ghetto. Again, rather chance my clutch versus coming back to a car completely gone or worse.

Now if I have to valet, I only do it 1) when I absolutely have to or 2) I know they hire quality people due to the cars that they'll probably drive.

In instances like the first one, when you have more high end cars coming through, the valet guys have stated that they're required to take a driving test and have clean DMV/background checks, etc. It's not perfect, but better than hiring that 16yo off the street to drive your car.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:38 AM

19,721 posts, read 14,632,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
That can be done with any transmission in that Mustang...

My V8 RX7 launched REAL hard with the sticky tires and the built AOD automatic. And bark the tires into every gear, including overdrive, shifting faster than I could manually. Perfect for track use, which is what it was built for. And massive amounts of fun. It would also pull 1.2G laterally, for hard cornering power. THAT was massive fun, too.

We were just reading the report the other night on the 04 Mach I my one son has. When they tested them, the 5 speed went 4.6 zero to 60, and the automatic went 5.3 zero to 60. I've got a few 5 speeds and automatics, and not only are the sticks more fun, they are quicker.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:42 AM

2,582 posts, read 925,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We were just reading the report the other night on the 04 Mach I my one son has. When they tested them, the 5 speed went 4.6 zero to 60, and the automatic went 5.3 zero to 60. I've got a few 5 speeds and automatics, and not only are the sticks more fun, they are quicker.

Put a shift kit in those automatics, and a high stall speed converter, and the result is quite different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive