Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 12:55 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Yikes. I don't typically either, but some places I had to. For example, I liked to go to a specific nice restaurant in LA. I am not parking my car at some crappy lot or on the street. I'd rather take my chances. Those guys, because it is a famous nice restaurant, are "pros" and know how to drive MT.

So far, the only place the guy didn't know how to was when I had to park at an event where there wasn't a lot of parking anyways. So those guys, yeah, I didn't trust them anyways, but I didn't have much choice. Nearest parking would have been on the street in the ghetto. Again, rather chance my clutch versus coming back to a car completely gone or worse.

Now if I have to valet, I only do it 1) when I absolutely have to or 2) I know they hire quality people due to the cars that they'll probably drive.

In instances like the first one, when you have more high end cars coming through, the valet guys have stated that they're required to take a driving test and have clean DMV/background checks, etc. It's not perfect, but better than hiring that 16yo off the street to drive your car.

Sure you had a choice - drive away from the event, if you pre-paid on a credit card, charge it back.

Just say "no" to valet parking.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:09 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Sure you had a choice - drive away from the event, if you pre-paid on a credit card, charge it back.

Just say "no" to valet parking.

Unfortunately the event wasn't something I could leave, but trust me, I'm all for saying no to valet parking with my MT car.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:55 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,231 times
Is valet parking at restaurants etc a regular thing in the US?

I don't think I've ever come across that situation here in the UK, or anywhere else in Europe for that matter. Maybe at a super fancy restaurant in Monaco or a London hotel that has Saudi princes and Russian oligarchs as their customer base, but anywhere else if arriving at a restaurant you just park the car in the parking lot or somewhere nearby then walk to where you are going to eat.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post

I don't think I've ever come across that situation here in the UK, or anywhere else in Europe for that matter. Maybe at a super fancy restaurant in Monaco or a London hotel that has Saudi princes and Russian oligarchs as their customer base, but anywhere else if arriving at a restaurant you just park the car in the parking lot or somewhere nearby then walk to where you are going to eat.

Speaking for my home state, Maine, the only place that I have ever been with valet parking is the hospital in Bangor. They are volunteers, and primarily there for the benefit of older folks who have trouble walking. I've never used them.

I've never encountered a restaurant that does valet parking before. Then again, I also don't see the point in "fine dining," where you pay upwards of two or three hundred dollars for dinner for two. I don't really care much for "atmosphere," and $10 worth of food does not become worth $200 to me just because the waiter is wearing a tuxedo.

I'd rather go for Mexican or Thai. I enjoy the flavor of those cuisines more than just about anything else, and both of them are cheap!

Old 05-02-2019, 01:38 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:

It is in Boston, where parking is at a premium. There just isn't convenient parking in the city and a lot of the higher end restaurants have contracts with local lots/garages to park their patrons cars at. A lot of middle-of-the road restaurants and hotels offer it as well, but you have the option of parking in the lot which might be down around the corner. It's less about how fancy a place is, and more about where they are located and if patrons can't find a good place to park, they will simply move on to somewhere easier. So they just valet, and problem solved. I did once stay at a hotel that had mandatory valet parking due to their only lot being pretty tight and needing to jam everyone in in a special order.

Some of the hospitals here also valet. Same story. Parking Is at a premium. I used it once when my 4-year old stepson dislocated his arm. Pulled up to Children's Hospital in Boston and a valet will take your car for you while you go take care of more important stuff. As much as I hate valet parking...I didn't give it a second thought that time. Car was also an automatic and my wife's so I didn't care.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It is in Boston, where parking is at a premium. There just isn't convenient parking in the city and a lot of the higher end restaurants have contracts with local lots/garages to park their patrons cars at. A lot of middle-of-the road restaurants and hotels offer it as well,

Same here in the Midatlantic area, parking is at a premium and if you don't have valet parking, you often won't get people coming to your establishment because they have to park so far away. And it's not just for $200+ a person restaurants, either. In Little Italy here, most restaurants are valet, from the family dining up to the expensive ones. Just nowhere to park near the restaurants.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:16 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Speaking for my home state, Maine, the only place that I have ever been with valet parking is the hospital in Bangor. They are volunteers, and primarily there for the benefit of older folks who have trouble walking. I've never used them.

I've never encountered a restaurant that does valet parking before. Then again, I also don't see the point in "fine dining," where you pay upwards of two or three hundred dollars for dinner for two. I don't really care much for "atmosphere," and $10 worth of food does not become worth $200 to me just because the waiter is wearing a tuxedo.

I'd rather go for Mexican or Thai. I enjoy the flavor of those cuisines more than just about anything else, and both of them are cheap!

Ah, CD, the land of the cheapskate. Not every restaurant out there is $200 and up per person. Some really good food can be had at $50 restaurants, but even those can have valet parking where parking isn't available anywhere near them on the street.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:35 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,231 times
Ok, so from what you guys are saying it seems to be mostly an urban thing where parking is difficult to find.

Still quite different to here in the UK though, parking is pretty difficult in most urban places here too but I guess there might be more options for walking or public transport.

In any case most restaurants here in those urban areas are right on the street front unless they have their own parking so there wouldn't usually be anywhere to drop off and pick up cars with a valet system anyway. Perhaps people just put up with walking further from parking spots?

Old 05-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Ok, so from what you guys are saying it seems to be mostly an urban thing where parking is difficult to find.
... Perhaps people just put up with walking further from parking spots?
WALKING!!!

That is a very evil thought in USA! (home of millions of 'drive-up-windows'.)

Drive thru service is very popular in FL and CA where the weather is PERFECT to step out of your car and walk 10 steps to Cafe. But no... more customary to wait 5-10 min in 'drive-up' line, and enjoy (?) more time in your car. Cafes are pretty empty if there is a drive-up window 'service' option.

Valet can be > 20% of the places in a downtown / urban setting.
Very popular for hotels who have off-site-parking.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:49 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
WALKING!!!

That is a very evil thought in USA! (home of millions of 'drive-up-windows'.)

Drive thru service is very popular in FL and CA where the weather is PERFECT to step out of your car and walk 10 steps to Cafe. But no... more customary to wait 5-10 min in 'drive-up' line, and enjoy (?) more time in your car. Cafes are pretty empty if there is a drive-up window 'service' option.

Valet can be > 20% of the places in a downtown / urban setting.
Very popular for hotels who have off-site-parking.
Thank you. I would never use valet parking and do not mind walking several blocks to park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive