Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 09:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times

Advertisements

Back in the mid 90s, I had a toyota mini truck, slammed with 'skateboard' type wheels (reverse rims), and a cap with no windows, painted the same color as the truck, I used to cruise on the weekends with friends, it was really a fun time, it took me awhile to buy all the parts and have the work done, since i was only working at a pizza place back then. I remember it took almost my whole paycheck when I bought the low profile tires for it, but once they were installed it was worth every penny!

With this one, Id like to do a car with hydraulics, I always wanted them for my mini truck back then, but they were so expensive and involved so much work needed done to the truck to prepare the suspension.

I do not want some car that can hop though, (not interested in going that extreme), just something I can move the car around, 3 wheel motion, on the street, in traffic, etc.

The bad thing about hydors is the number of batteries required to make them fast, Im wondering if its possible to run a hydro system by a dual alternator set up (not sure if that would be enough power to move the pumps/motors).

I also do not want wire wheels, every car with hydros Ive seen, has wire wheels, I want the old reverse rims, the 'skateboard' look, but not sure if this can be done, there must a reason why there are no hydro cars with non-wire wheels, from what Ive read they use wire wheels mostly for hopping, since they are stronger than normal wheels, (but I wont be hopping), so...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 08:00 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,615 times
I wouldn't think that you would need wire wheels. A lot of rat rods use steel wheels with an adjustable air ride set up.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
if i were to do a hydraulic system, i would consider capacitors to augment the batteries. the problem with running a second alternator is that it wont run the system for very long. alternators are not designed to put out full amperage for long periods of time, which is what you would need. you would burn out the diode bridges.

capacitors on the other hand can be designed to put out the power you need over a period of time, and they recharge quickly, as well as being lighter than batteries. your local stereo shop can give you lots of information on the type of capacitor you would need to use since they are used in high end stereo systems, as well as competition systems.

as for wheels, i have seen plenty of low riders running chrome reverse rims instead of wire wheels. so your wheel options are not limited, except by what the look you are going for in your build.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:39 PM

1,002 posts, read 916,718 times
You can get a set of 6x Maxwell 3000F supercaps from Alibaba for around $150 (plus shipping). They come in 2.7v and 3v variants. These will start a 7L diesel with ease. They might be fine for your intended purposes.

I would definitely get a really good balancing circuit if putting large capacitors in series, and make sure you have fuses/breakers and the right gauge wiring.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
You can get a set of 6x Maxwell 3000F supercaps from Alibaba for around $150 (plus shipping). They come in 2.7v and 3v variants. These will start a 7L diesel with ease. They might be fine for your intended purposes.

I would definitely get a really good balancing circuit if putting large capacitors in series, and make sure you have fuses/breakers and the right gauge wiring.
The average 4 pump hydraulic system usually requires about 8-10 BIG deep cycle batteries, wired in series, so the motion is fast (thats the one negative aspect to a hydro system, it takes so many batteries and all the added weight too, roughly 400lbs)!

The other alternative I was thinking about, was a PTO, off the transmission, this is how large commercial service trucks use hydraulics on their trucks, for stuff like cranes, winches, etc, a power take off, from the transmission, I think a PTO would work and probably be fast enough, but it would probably have to be a custom PTO, to match whatever car I end up deciding to use. (Im pretty sure any transmission can run a PTO).

Old 04-20-2019, 06:44 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
My brother bought a 64 impala ss with hydraulics and wire wheels many years ago. Sitting in it, I couldn’t believe how fast the hydraulics worked! I assumed doing the wrong order using them could destroy things on your car fast.

He pulled them off along with wire Dayton knockoffs off and sold them.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
My brother bought a 64 impala ss with hydraulics and wire wheels many years ago. Sitting in it, I couldn’t believe how fast the hydraulics worked! I assumed doing the wrong order using them could destroy things on your car fast.

He pulled them off along with wire Dayton knockoffs off and sold them.
Alot of guys use those older cars for hydros because they are built like tanks and can handle the stress.

Wire wheels look good, but the maintenance involved and keeping them 'trued' is not something Im interested in doing.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,121,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Alot of guys use those older cars for hydros because they are built like tanks and can handle the stress.

Wire wheels look good, but the maintenance involved and keeping them 'trued' is not something Im interested in doing.
Just keeping them clean would be a giant task.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Back in the mid 90s, I had a toyota mini truck, slammed with 'skateboard' type wheels (reverse rims), and a cap with no windows, painted the same color as the truck, I used to cruise on the weekends with friends, it was really a fun time, it took me awhile to buy all the parts and have the work done, since i was only working at a pizza place back then. I remember it took almost my whole paycheck when I bought the low profile tires for it, but once they were installed it was worth every penny!

With this one, Id like to do a car with hydraulics, I always wanted them for my mini truck back then, but they were so expensive and involved so much work needed done to the truck to prepare the suspension.

I do not want some car that can hop though, (not interested in going that extreme), just something I can move the car around, 3 wheel motion, on the street, in traffic, etc.

The bad thing about hydors is the number of batteries required to make them fast, Im wondering if its possible to run a hydro system by a dual alternator set up (not sure if that would be enough power to move the pumps/motors).

I also do not want wire wheels, every car with hydros Ive seen, has wire wheels, I want the old reverse rims, the 'skateboard' look, but not sure if this can be done, there must a reason why there are no hydro cars with non-wire wheels, from what Ive read they use wire wheels mostly for hopping, since they are stronger than normal wheels, (but I wont be hopping), so...?

First of all, wire wheels are not as strong as solid wheels, so the use of them has zero to do with strength. It is more of a traditional or cultural thing to use wire wheels, especially on Latino owed low riders. I've seen wire wheels collapse or break from just driving, let alone hopping.

And, no, you could put 4 alternators on the car and you would still need the reserve capacity provided by storage batteries......the bigger and more, the better.

We've had two S10 bagged trucks and a Lincoln Continental in our family when my sons were younger, and batteries are always an issue to overcome.

If you want the current state of the art in lowriders, here is one forum to join:

https://www.layitlow.com/forums/

Old 04-20-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
First of all, wire wheels are not as strong as solid wheels, so the use of them has zero to do with strength. It is more of a traditional or cultural thing to use wire wheels, especially on Latino owed low riders. I've seen wire wheels collapse or break from just driving, let alone hopping.

And, no, you could put 4 alternators on the car and you would still need the reserve capacity provided by storage batteries......the bigger and more, the better.

We've had two S10 bagged trucks and a Lincoln Continental in our family when my sons were younger, and batteries are always an issue to overcome.

If you want the current state of the art in lowriders, here is one forum to join:

https://www.layitlow.com/forums/
What do you think about a PTO (power take off)? This is how service type trucks run their hydraulic equipment off the engine.

Im not 100% certain, but Im pretty sure ANY transmission can utilize a PTO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive