Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:29 PM

15,737 posts, read 20,293,560 times

Advertisements

Bad wheel bearing where you previously damaged wheels?....they might have a case.

Different side of the car that sustained no damage? A bit of a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 AM

99 posts, read 78,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
This. I paid to replace the wheels myself.

I’m not so much concerned with this particular wheel bearing repair, but if I have a major engine or transmission failure in a couple of years, are they going to resurrect this excuse again?

And to the person who asked, the car is a little over a year old with 12k miles.
Volkswagen?

Old 04-25-2019, 12:10 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,394,516 times
Where the replacement wheels the same as came on the car? Having special designer custom wheels may afffect the life of the wheel bearings and thus void the factory warranty.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:24 PM

68,297 posts, read 54,132,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Certainly there are some dealers who don't know what the heck they are doing when it comes to warranty claim submissions. I'm not going to argue that, and those guys are usually stuck in the 50-60% on the warranty recovery chart.

Getting techs to write stories correctly, detailing every move they made during a repair, is the biggest challenge most dealers face when submitting claims. You leave out some steps, certainly you won't get paid for some of it.

That being said, the SRT times are usually too low
and the OEM's tend to stick to their guns on that stuff. That plus looking for any piece of evidence they can find to deny a claim are the two biggest gripes I had on the dealer side. (And my dealership's recovery rates were typically 95-98% so we knew how to do it right, but I also paid our warranty manager a lot more than other dealers because to me that investment was worth it.)

The only times I have personal experience with are for BMW motorcycles and working on my own bikes. More often than not I completed repairs in 'book' time or less and I'm by no means a 'quick wrench', I found the times more than fair.

Dealers run the gamut from those whose claims need barely be looked at to those who for usually good reason have 100% of their claims reviewed.

As far as the claim that started this thread I still question why a customer pay damage repair would be put in the vehicle file and cause the manufacturer to reject a claim based on that repair? In my experience only warranty repairs and records of required service being performed were entered in the manufacturer's system.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:43 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,750,061 times
I can't say how things are done in the automotive industry. But in the heavy equipment industry, there are places that will find a reason to deny warranty and bill the customer for a repair... then also file warranty and get paid by the manufacturer for that same repair.

Not saying this dealership is engaging in that sort of fraud. Just saying that it does happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive