Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 07:23 PM

356 posts, read 175,885 times

Advertisements

Every vehicle has its purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 07:50 PM

276 posts, read 204,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just under half of US households have landline phones, so not a "vast minority".

https://nypost.com/2017/05/04/why-ne...ave-landlines/
But how often do they use them?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:52 PM

276 posts, read 204,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I still have one. I live in a hurricane prone area, and cell towers get blown down.

At the same time, it’s one of the reasons I wouldn’t want an EV, if the power is out for weeks there will be no way to charge one. At least with gas I can fill some cans and have reserves.
You could have a gas operated generator to charge your EV in such a situation, if you've got gas reserves.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:53 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
"If everybody drove electric cars"

Not in my lifetime, nor yours!
Less than a half percent of the new cars sold in the US were electric in 2018. This is after how many years....geeez!!
In 2007, after nearly 150 years, only 1% of all phones were smartphones. I knew they'd never catch on.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:53 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav Halbach View Post
I have no interest, zero, in owning or driving an electric car. I enjoy the power and sound of the internal combustion engine. I frankly do not care whether it would save gas or oil...I'm going to drive what I want...when i want....and for as long as I want. It's my money, my time, and my life.

If you want an electric car...have at it. I will not be joining you.

-G
There were plenty of people that didn't want to ride an internal combustion motor carriage, it didn't stop the progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
one more thing to consider, infrastructure. it took us over one hundred years to get where we are now. d you really think that someone is going to snap their fingers and suddenly have the necessary infrastructure available to run thismassive fleet of electric cars you seem to envision OP?

sorry it wont happen. to get where we are now with EVs, it will take another one hundred years to get there, unless of course you want to try and force businesses to spend the trillions of dollars needed to suddenly build the necessary infrastructure to handle the EV fleet you envision.

and that means no only high level charging stations, and battery exchange stations, but all the necessary power plants and major improvements in the electrical grid to handle all the new amounts of power running through the lines to handle the massive increase in electrical loads at all time of the day.
It did not take 100 years.

Cars started being mass produced in the early 1900s. Sure we are more mature today, in 2019 than we were in 1970, but 1970, there were not people riding horse drawn carriages on their commute to work in Los angeles, smallville, or anytown USA.
It was within the first half of the century that cars were regular things a lot of people had.

In terms of the infrastructure, there are plenty of public charging stations to support a large number of people and that number grows by the day.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/03/07...ging-stations/

And if you want to go further.
How many people have a gas pump at home? I've never met anyone, maybe a farmer or small business owner in the middle of no where?
OK, How many people who live in a house have a 120V electrical outlet in their garage or covered carpark? Yes I live in a suburb with thousands of them.

As for the actual grid you have a point, but obviously the question asked was hypothetical. Of course there's no way to flip a switch so to speak, and have every car EV overnight. But if we knew it was going to happen by a certain date, you would bet that the power grid will be able to support it by then because that's where the money would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If everyone drove electric cars the grid would crash. That's what would happen. There is no way today's electrical system could handle the load.
Like I mentioned above, obviously it wouldn't just happen overnight, but it could happen in the next 30 yrs that a majority of vehicles are fully EV. The grid would support it by then if they needed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Just under half of US households have landline phones, so not a "vast minority".

https://nypost.com/2017/05/04/why-ne...ave-landlines/
How many of them need it?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:54 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
At the same time, it’s one of the reasons I wouldn’t want an EV, if the power is out for weeks there will be no way to charge one. At least with gas I can fill some cans and have reserves.
You can generate electricity, right on your own property, a dozen ways including two or three Rube Goldberg methods.

Got an oil refinery in your garage?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:56 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
All electric cars are becoming more and more common. If everybody drove electric cars there would be far less air pollution and it would really save on oil and gas. My next car will probably be all electric.
I like to get to my destination and back.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:57 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Funny, this isn't quite my definition of "lower air pollution"...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ina/index.html

Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
A mileage tax would have to be implemented. True, the gas tax only covers half the cost of maintaining the roads, but it's better than nothing. There will be a lot of yelling and screaming, but it has to be done. Good news: gas, for those left who use it, will be cheaper.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Funny, this isn't quite my definition of "lower air pollution"...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ina/index.html
Sure. And the fire department only gets called on car crashes involving electric vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive