Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 12:48 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.torquenews.com/1083/deat...ird-rate-1980s

I attribute this due to better handling and braking in modern cars as well as ESP that probably saved more people with slow hands driving 500HP cars that could've easily been goners had not for ESP.

I always argue against folks that believe speeding is the #1 reason for accidents. People who drive fast like I do put more attention to driving than folks not paying attention and doing below speed limit and getting into stupid accidents.

This morning a woman in front of me was driving erratically and very slowly. Just as I suspected she was busy checking her phone and not paying attention.
Ive never understood why people busy checking their phones, drive so freaking slow...shouldnt it be the opposite, driving too fast, not paying attention and naturally speeding up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 01:54 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The State Farm Insurance company has noted that having a teen-aged male anywhere in the car increased the risk of an accident compared to the same occupants without the teen male.
Which is why many states have a tiered driving law - that drivers in their first year and/or under 18 are not allowed to have any non-family passengers. One teen male is bad enough; add a second, never mind more, and the collective IQ plummets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive never understood why people busy checking their phones, drive so freaking slow...shouldnt it be the opposite, driving too fast, not paying attention and naturally speeding up?
They're being safe, you see.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:58 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
If you are driving 75-85mph in a 55-65 mph flow of traffic, yes speed will lead to alot of accidents and the faster you are going, the higher the impact and injury. Speeding heavy traffic is foolish, but so common in metro Atlanta.

Now if its open road, and little traffic, im all for 70-85mph, assuming you have good tires and weather.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
https://www.torquenews.com/1083/deat...ird-rate-1980s

I attribute this due to better handling and braking in modern cars as well as ESP that probably saved more people with slow hands driving 500HP cars that could've easily been goners had not for ESP.

I always argue against folks that believe speeding is the #1 reason for accidents. People who drive fast like I do put more attention to driving than folks not paying attention and doing below speed limit and getting into stupid accidents.

This morning a woman in front of me was driving erratically and very slowly. Just as I suspected she was busy checking her phone and not paying attention.
In these "stupid supercar drivers" videos online, it seems that people with excessive horsepower at their disposal want to break traction AT SPEED. I understand doing a burnout while remaining almost still (those people still lose control of their vehicle half the time) but trying to roast the tires while cruising along a state highway is ludicrous.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:57 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
But there is this:

The stopping distance for a drunk driver at 55 is the same as for a sober one at 70. So raising the 55 to 70 had the same effect as intoxicating all drivers.

On a divided highway, two cars going the same direction/speed will never meet. All crashes involve speed inequality or lane changing.

That is not to exclude other variables, like attentiveness, car safety features, road engineering or traffic density.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:11 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
My theory is contrary. Most of us responsible drivers stay off the roads now since speeders are a threat to our lives. So keep speeding and being erratic . I'll be watching the news to hear how you non chalently caused accidents and had no clue because your speedometer is more important then a families life.

I recently experienced two drivers speeding. We were on a ramp to enter a construction zone . Speed to be 45. We had the "yield". Apparently yield means "speed up,veer around anyone in your way and get on that highway!
I had come to a full stop as first in line to enter. The lane was completely unsafe to intercede out on. But no..two jerks weaved and sped out. Three cars that they jetted out in front of ..had a pile up. Traffic then halted. I got to spend one hour at the side to give statement.. The speedsters were long gone. But three families were shook up from this .
Go take your lead foot and see a podiatrist. I for one am sick of speeders who demand the "me first" or move out of MY way. Our lives are no less important. Respect that.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Dup post.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:33 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
On a divided highway, two cars going the same direction/speed will never meet. All crashes involve speed inequality or lane changing.
Last year we had a crash involving a sofa sitting in the middle lane of the George Bush Tollway.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:16 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
https://pics.me.me/you-are-driving-a...n-20768360.png

Old 04-26-2019, 08:08 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Given that the graph shows a steady decline, one would suspect that it's a combination of:

-Improved vehicle safety (crumple zones, airbags, standard ABS, seatbelts lol...the study did start in the 80's so that means cars from the 60's)
-public awareness (seatbelts)
-Improved medical treatments and response times. (look at military deaths as a % of wounds in Afghanistan vs. Vietnam as a side comparative)

There is certainly the possibility that there are other factors as well like highway design (like putting accordion barriers or barrels of water\sand at abutments or cross-over barriers) and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive