Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 08:48 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,418,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Auto repair shops have been around since day one. There's no glory in fixing your own car. Who cares if you fixed it yourself? I'd rather enjoy 100k plus worry free miles.

I have a 2018 vehicle and look forward to the same. There was pride and enjoyment in doing your own repairs. Like using a vacuum gauge to diagnose a problem. Lost in todays world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 01:17 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
He's right....and there's nothing whatsoever elitist about it. He's simply not going to waste his time.

Yes, put aside Viet Nam and ours was the best of times. I feel sorry for kids today....I really do.
I feel sorry for them too. Down the road 20-30 years unless grandfather leaves them a classic they won't have anything to reminisce about but Smartphones, virtual reality, video games and computers. Can't talk about the wonders and designs of present day cars.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I feel sorry for them too. Down the road 20-30 years unless grandfather leaves them a classic they won't have anything to reminisce about but Smartphones, virtual reality, video games and computers. Can't talk about the wonders and designs of present day cars.
Don't feel sorry for us. We d don't need your self serving pity. We also don't need big boat like machines that lack aerodynamic efficiency, safety, and durability.

A car manufacturer could reproduce an old design and no one would but it.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:40 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
The "golden age" of cars and music.

Such a coincidence that it occurred during your youth.

I know. The Dave Clark Five is the best band in all history and your 70 Buick was the most reliable car you ever had. So easy and fun to repair!

8 miles a gallon. Yay!

Trying to get it started in 10 degree weather. Yay!

Worn out engine at 80k miles. Yay!

AM radio. Yay!

Your arse melted to a vinyl seat all summer. Yay!

Leaded gas fumes. Yay!

Old 05-02-2019, 08:09 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
........A car manufacturer could reproduce an old design and no one would but it.

And for absolute proof of that, all you have to do is to see what a dismal failure the PT Cruiser was. Not one of those stupid old design cars ever sold. The public is too smart for that.

I can't leave my house without seeing 10 or more PT Cruisers and a couple of HHR's.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM

99 posts, read 56,927 times
This whole thread reeks of nostalgia blindness, and claims about which era of car styling is better are 100% subjective.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:56 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A spin off on the whatever happened to car colors thread.

What happened to car design? The American automobiles used to be works of design art.

I'm a big fan of the old black and white Perry Mason TV show. Filmed in the late 1050's, it is noticeable how beautiful the cars were. I suspect that the gorgeous new cars were "product placement" but even the background cars were well designed with balanced lines that flowed together.

Now, all the new cars look so much alike, I can't tell one brand of another and a big design breakthrough is a small change in the shape of the grill, and often not for the better.

American made cars used to be the dream car all over the world because of the outstanding design (and power).

I know what happened to the power, but seriously? All the best and brightest designers can't come up with a car that doesn't look like a box on wheels that looks like every other box on wheels?
It's called government interference. They have all these regulations now that force the manufacturers to meet minimum mileage laws, so into the wind tunnel the new designs go, and out come the ones that meet the testing requirements.

SS

Old 05-02-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Don't feel sorry for us. We d don't need your self serving pity. We also don't need big boat like machines that lack aerodynamic efficiency, safety, and durability.

A car manufacturer could reproduce an old design and no one would but it.
Really? Is that why I see so many Dodge Challengers on the road these days, because nobody would buy it?

LoL. You need to look around again sweetie.

SS

Old 05-02-2019, 12:58 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
It's called government interference. They have all these regulations now that force the manufacturers to meet minimum mileage laws, so into the wind tunnel the new designs go, and out come the ones that meet the testing requirements.

SS
I'm a fan of good gas mileage and lowering pollution. Safety regs are good also.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I know where you're coming from, but I have to say, I still have the original Evo smart phone with the kickstand, and I really miss using it.

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive